Hot_Deals

Topic   Gamestop offering 6 month unlimited game rental for $60(Plus keep 1 game at end)

brian9824
450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
31-Oct-2017(#1)
https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/30/16570538/report...

http://mashable.com/2017/10/29/gamestop-powerpass-...

$60 for 6 months of game rentals from any of their used games. At the end you can keep ANY game you rented from them. I know what i'm getting when it goes live.

Sign up's are Nov 19th
Helghast
Triple Gold Good Trader
31-Oct-2017(#2)
Seems like a decent deal.
cblake78
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
31-Oct-2017(#3)
Smart of them to get you to pay $60 for a used game.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
31-Oct-2017(#4)
cblake78 wrote:
> Smart of them to get you to pay $60 for a used game.

definitely, that was my first thought. it also acts as somewhat of a security deposit in case you just never bring it back. im sure they are counting on a lot of people not using it that much and making a lot of free money. if you could play a lot of games in that 6 months its a nice deal though, and on top of that you can get a game to keep, so its kinda on the user to use it enough to make it worth it. I could see at smaller stores this could hurt the supply of some games, leaving the shelves with less desirable items because everyone has the good ones rented.

Admiral
Silver Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
* 31-Oct-2017(#5)
Does this include retro stuff too? raspberry

I think it's a great deal actually, if you want to rent games. Gamefly is more expensive per month, and you get to keep nothing at the end.

10 bucks per month, you can grab any game right off the shelf, return it two hours later, or two days later, or two weeks later then grab the next hotness. It's almost a guarantee that good games will be in stock. Gamefly? Wait a day or two for a game, the best stuff is backordered, and you have to worry about mailing crap back all the time.

PLUS - if they are renting games out also, maybe they'll increase trade in values (lol, maybe?) to keep things in stock. This rental program won't work if everything is out of stock!

Anyone bashing this, when it's the BEST model available, is just doing so because they are Gamestop grumps.
DiamondDave
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 31-Oct-2017(#6)
Admiral wrote:
> 10 bucks per month, you can grab any game right off the shelf, return it two hours
> later, or two days later, or two weeks later then grab the next hotness. It's almost
> a guarantee that good games will be in stock.

Nah, it's more of a guarantee that, if popular enough, the only things on the shelf will be Call of Duty and Madden. For anyone. And it's further incentive for them to break open new copies and still sell them as new after use.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
31-Oct-2017(#7)
Admiral wrote:
> Does this include retro stuff too? raspberry

apparently it is any used game in the store, so it seems so if you have stores that have it, nothing around here has anything older than ps3/360/wii and wii u/ds

cblake78
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
31-Oct-2017(#8)
Admiral wrote:
> Does this include retro stuff too? raspberry
>
> I think it's a great deal actually, if you want to rent games. Gamefly is more expensive
> per month, and you get to keep nothing at the end.
>
> 10 bucks per month, you can grab any game right off the shelf, return it two hours
> later, or two days later, or two weeks later then grab the next hotness. It's almost
> a guarantee that good games will be in stock. Gamefly? Wait a day or two for a game,
> the best stuff is backordered, and you have to worry about mailing crap back all
> the time.
>
> PLUS - if they are renting games out also, maybe they'll increase trade in values
> (lol, maybe?) to keep things in stock. This rental program won't work if everything
> is out of stock!
>
> Anyone bashing this, when it's the BEST model available, is just doing so because
> they are Gamestop grumps.

I beg to differ.

You CAN grab any game right off the shelf...that's in stock. Don't think you'll be able to run right in, snag a copy of Mario Odyssey to rent, and be on your way.

I do think this is a decent idea if there are some non-recent releases people want to play but don't want to own...then maybe by the end of the 6 months more of those games you wanted to play close to release will be available to keep.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
* 31-Oct-2017(#9)
apparently the game you get to keep has to be one that you had over the 6 month period, so if you want a newer expensive game at the end of it you gotta time it right to get that game somewhere near the end of the six months. wonder what happens if they don't have any copies of that game at the end of the period?

this is a service I can see someone like my brother really getting some use out of potentially, as long as they have stock, he rarely cares about keeping anything.

darkslime
Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 31-Oct-2017(#10)
They're gonna try to upsell this every time someone buys a used game that costs less than 60 and hope people sign up and never return back. I hate shopping there, last time I was there the employee followed me around like a car salesman and I just wanted too browse and I try to avoid that place as much as possible
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
31-Oct-2017(#11)
they def hope people will just take a game and forget about it or not use their 60 worth.

brian9824
450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
31-Oct-2017(#12)
The free game supposedly is ANY game you rented during the period. No idea how that works if it's not in stock.

It probably won't be the best service for those who only want newer games, but if you have multiple consoles it's a ton of variety.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
31-Oct-2017(#13)
ya it can be anything you played durning the period of 6 months, I guess if they didn't have it maybe you could get it at another stuff or they send it from their online service? I guess more info will be revealed. maybe i'll ask when next im in there, which isn't often.

@dashey probably knows though.. :)

to maximize I guess you could go in and get the one you want to keep in the last couple days of your period and just say this is the one im keeping, if they had it. and ya this is really something of potential benefit if you have multiple systems as there would surely be something you haven't played. I think we often view things from the collectard point of view, as this is something for people who are just gonna play and flip anyway


DefaultGen
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 5 Reviews
31-Oct-2017(#14)
I would've thought you just keep whatever game you have out after 6 months. Why risk coming back around to one of your older games? Just find the game you want in the last month.

DiamondDave
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 31-Oct-2017(#15)
DefaultGen wrote:
> I would've thought you just keep whatever game you have out after 6 months. Why risk
> coming back around to one of your older games? Just find the game you want in the
> last month.
>

That'll be the trick, won't it? If you're on-par with shenanigans like Gamestop whipping out a disc to put in an open case saying "Lucky you, you got our last new copy!" you're gonna be stuck with a $60 copy of Marvel vs Capcom Infinite at the end of the 6 month period. Because everyone had the exact same thought you did.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
* 31-Oct-2017(#16)
you could do that if you wanted I suppose, which seems to make the most sense

the key is seeing if somewhere in the fine print it says pick any from your 6 month period "from in stock titles" or something like that, if you cant somehow get whatever game you wanted from it I would be less inclined.

JD
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
31-Oct-2017(#17)
I wonder if it'll be disc only or complete for one to keep? Like collector edition maybe?
DiamondDave
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
31-Oct-2017(#18)
I really doubt they'll let you rent a collector's edition of a game unless it's already been SKUed as identical to the standard version (ME2, etc).

I'm not sure why anyone would think otherwise.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
31-Oct-2017(#19)
if they let you take the whole case and everything home, ebay is about to be blown up with "manual only" and "replacement manual" listings unless they track whether it had it or not and penalize you if you don't bring it back. I remember the rental stores used to either put stickers on manuals or just write on them in sharpie "$2 fine if not returned" or something like that

Noid
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader
* 31-Oct-2017(#20)
tonymack21 wrote:
> if they let you take the whole case and everything home, ebay is about to be blown
> up with "manual only" and "replacement manual" listings unless they track whether
> it had it or not and penalize you if you don't bring it back. I remember the rental
> stores used to either put stickers on manuals or just write on them in sharpie "$2
> fine if not returned" or something like that
>
>

That's actually a very good point. Sadly, based off their track record, I don't think GameStop will care. If anything, that may receive some sort of unofficial enforcement based off of each individual location.
Mexico
Double Gold Good Trader
* 31-Oct-2017(#21)
good deal, with being able to keep a game that you can trade back in at the end to reduce the cost, could easily make it under $30 or keep something like hello kitty cruisers and resell
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
31-Oct-2017(#22)
Ya true. If managed right you could play a lot of games cheap

KCPenguins
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader
* 31-Oct-2017(#23)
This sounds great, but haters gonna hate. Where else can you rent Switch games for that price? (no affiliation with GS)
citizen_zane
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
31-Oct-2017(#24)
This would be good for my daughter over summer break. Would your account be tied to one store or would it be good at any location? There are three in my town. It would be nice to use them like a Redbox. Rent from store A, return to store B.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
31-Oct-2017(#25)
that was the other question I was wondering, can you get and take from any store

SirConnery
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 1000 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Secret Santa
31-Oct-2017(#26)
I wonder is all locations will participate? I bet some don't.
Frank
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 650 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (12) Has Written 18 Reviews Secret Santa
1-Nov-2017(#27)
Thankfully my library rents out new release video games, yes even Switch games, so I won't be partaking in the Gamestop renting shenanigans.

That being said, I see it potentially taking away the good games from stores, gamestop upping their used prices so games are still available to rent, and customers being unhappy with the old last gen games they were able to find in their stores.

Maybe I'm wrong, hopefully I am, but whenever gamestop rolls out something new I'm usually a pessimist.

Admiral
Silver Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
1-Nov-2017(#28)
Frank wrote:
> That being said, I see it potentially taking away the good games from stores, gamestop
> upping their used prices so games are still available to rent, and customers being
> unhappy with the old last gen games they were able to find in their stores.

This definitely could end up being a side effect. But I think they would prefer to sell used games vs. giving them out as rentals....upping used prices would make a dent in their sales I'm sure.

The other option would be (I mentioned before) to up the trade-in values so they get more copies traded in.

I guess either way they would be "losing" money that would have to be made up via the rental program.

The more I think about it, I can see it being a nice little program - but I can also see it not lasting very long because of these roadblocks.
Pelle
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
1-Nov-2017(#29)
Whats to stop someone from trading in a high profile game they bought at the end of their cycle and renting that as their keep? For instance, trade in Mario Odyssey as its bound to maintain a good trade in value then instantly rent it and keep it at the end?
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
1-Nov-2017(#30)
I guess you could definitely do that, wouldn't make much difference to them I guess you're taking a game out of their stock either way.


Admiral
Silver Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
1-Nov-2017(#31)
I guess there is nothing stopping someone from doing this.

But I fail to see why it should be considered a problem....?

Doing the math (which I assume is why you brought it up):

-$60 for Mario Odyssey
+$40 TIV for Mario
= -$20 balance
-$60 for Rental program
= -$80 balance

Keep Mario Odyssey.

That's an $80 Mario Odyssey....doesn't seem like GS is losing out.

Or are you thinking someone else is getting screwed here - like the other consumers since now Mario Odyssey is not as readily available for purchase or rent?
SirConnery
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 1000 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Secret Santa
1-Nov-2017(#32)
Frank wrote:
> Thankfully my library rents out new release video games, yes even Switch games, so
> I won't be partaking in the Gamestop renting shenanigans.
>
> That being said, I see it potentially taking away the good games from stores, gamestop
> upping their used prices so games are still available to rent, and customers being
> unhappy with the old last gen games they were able to find in their stores.
>
> Maybe I'm wrong, hopefully I am, but whenever gamestop rolls out something new I'm
> usually a pessimist.

Watch them stop gutting games if this rolls out to all locations. All of a sudden the used inventory dries up. Except for moldy oldy Wii shovelware.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
1-Nov-2017(#33)
they were probably having some brainstorming sessions at corporate on programs to make money and this won out

Pelle
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
* 1-Nov-2017(#34)
Admiral wrote:
> I guess there is nothing stopping someone from doing this.
>
> But I fail to see why it should be considered a problem....?
>
> Doing the math (which I assume is why you brought it up):
>
> -$60 for Mario Odyssey
> +$40 TIV for Mario
> = -$20 balance
> -$60 for Rental program
> = -$80 balance
>
> Keep Mario Odyssey.
>
> That's an $80 Mario Odyssey....doesn't seem like GS is losing out.
>
> Or are you thinking someone else is getting screwed here - like the other consumers
> since now Mario Odyssey is not as readily available for purchase or rent?
>



I was referencing trading in a game you already own / paid for and renting at the end of the cycle to essentially just get free store credit. I already have mario. Trading in my own copy 6 monhts from now will probably net me $20 on the low side. Just make it my last rental and keep it and ive gotten store credit back instead of a game. Obviously buying a game just to do that wont net you anything lol.



Trade Mario Odyssey in +40
Spend 60 on Rental Program -20
Rent Mario then lots of other games and Keep mario
6 Months for $20
SirConnery
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 1000 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Secret Santa
1-Nov-2017(#35)
I'm not just throwing Gamestop stones either, I was actually considering this. I just take a long time to consider anything and try and think of all possible scenarios.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
1-Nov-2017(#36)
i would consider it too during stretches of time i knew i would have time to play lots of games, but my own backlog is already so big.

brian9824
450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
13-Nov-2017(#37)
This starts next week
JD
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
14-Nov-2017(#38)
This isn't happening anymore
Dashey
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review Secret Santa
14-Nov-2017(#39)
JD wrote:
> This isn't happening anymore

Was just about to post it.


SirConnery
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 1000 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Secret Santa
14-Nov-2017(#40)
Why?
brian9824
450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
* 14-Nov-2017(#41)
JD wrote:
> This isn't happening anymore

I talked to my gamestop store yesterday who confirmed its definitely happening and gave me all the details on how its worked. Who said its not happening?

It was advertised inside their Game Insider magazine

Topic   Gamestop offering 6 month unlimited game rental for $60(Plus keep 1 game at end)