Hot_Deals

Topic   Gamestop offering 6 month unlimited game rental for $60(Plus keep 1 game at end)

brian9824
450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
31-Oct-2017(#1)
https://www.polygon.com/2017/10/30/16570538/report...

http://mashable.com/2017/10/29/gamestop-powerpass-...

$60 for 6 months of game rentals from any of their used games. At the end you can keep ANY game you rented from them. I know what i'm getting when it goes live.

Sign up's are Nov 19th
brian9824
450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
* 14-Nov-2017(#41)
JD wrote:
> This isn't happening anymore

I talked to my gamestop store yesterday who confirmed its definitely happening and gave me all the details on how its worked. Who said its not happening?

It was advertised inside their Game Insider magazine
devans77
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
14-Nov-2017(#42)
Gamestop follows GTZ and CAG and other sites, so they announce something and read all the ways people say they can manipulate the system to get the best possible deal. Then gamestop has a meeting to determine whether or not this deal would screw over customers, if it does then they keep it, if it doesn't then it's canceled

tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
14-Nov-2017(#43)
maybe they've realized it would really hurt their sales? I would think most gs regulars are ones who buy and play, sell it back for 25% of what they paid and buy another and repeat? if they can rent instead that's a lot of lost revenue?

reneeatworld
Double Gold Good Trader Has Written 20 Reviews
14-Nov-2017(#44)
Doesn't kianta still rent his games out? I wonder if he'll price match this deal.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
14-Nov-2017(#45)
lol maybe, and there is a guy in the gameshare group offering something like this too

brian9824
450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
14-Nov-2017(#46)
I read online more and from what I read people are saying it's delayed,not canceled.

Supposedly it's because of some stores needing computer upgrades so they can't roll it out till they update it.

Nothing official yet so will see what they say.
Admiral
Silver Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
14-Nov-2017(#47)
Have any of you upgraded to the Pro Elite program instead of just Pro? I think it's a no brainer TBH. More points, double the discount on used. I'll save that extra $15 in no time.
whitefire
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 14-Nov-2017(#48)
I'll definitely try this out when it starts. I'm a little concerned about the good games running out, bundle hopefully, that won't be an issue. Still, I figure worst scenario, I'll maybe get a game at the end I can sell. That's a pretty minimal investment even if the $60 games are gone.

I wish somebody would finally do this digitally for games and movies. They would make so much money. Even without being able to keep one at the end, it'd still be worth it, IMO.

DiamondDave
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 14-Nov-2017(#49)
Admiral wrote:
> Have any of you upgraded to the Pro Elite program instead of just Pro? I think it's
> a no brainer TBH. More points, double the discount on used. I'll save that extra
> $15 in no time.

I try to not give Gamestop more than $50 per year in software purchases, or just buy new hardware (new software will always be cheaper elsewhere, because Gamestop does not ever want you to buy new). Paying them $30 to essentially lock in eBay or slightly higher than ebay prices and feel forced to shop at only Gamestop seems like strange behavior to me, even factoring in the 2-3 legitimately good deals per year you can probably scrape together by stacking promotions up. I'd rather just shop wherever it's cheapest whenever I want to, since every time you don't buy Gamestop when you're running their discount programs, you're losing value on your investment. Which is why they came up with the nifty idea for you to pay them for your loyalty once they saw Amazon was doing well charging for it.

Not to discredit those who find it fun to game Gamestop, that's whatever.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
14-Nov-2017(#50)
whitefire wrote:
.
>
> I wish somebody would finally do this digitally for games and movies. They would
> make so much money. Even without being able to keep one at the end, it'd still be
> worth it, IMO.
>
>

isn't that essentially what PSnow and xbox gamepass are?

whitefire
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
14-Nov-2017(#51)
tonymack21 wrote:
> whitefire wrote:
> .
>>
>> I wish somebody would finally do this digitally for games and movies. They would
>> make so much money. Even without being able to keep one at the end, it'd still
> be
>> worth it, IMO.
>>
>>
>
> isn't that essentially what PSnow and xbox gamepass are?
>
>

No, I mean you can rent any game you want, one at a time.

Admiral
Silver Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
* 14-Nov-2017(#52)
DiamondDave wrote:
> Admiral wrote:
>> Have any of you upgraded to the Pro Elite program instead of just Pro? I think
> it's
>> a no brainer TBH. More points, double the discount on used. I'll save that extra
>> $15 in no time.
>
> I try to not give Gamestop more than $50 per year in software purchases, or just
> buy new hardware (new software will always be cheaper elsewhere, because Gamestop
> does not ever want you to buy new). Paying them $30 to essentially lock in eBay
> or slightly higher than ebay prices and feel forced to shop at only Gamestop seems
> like strange behavior to me, even factoring in the 2-3 legitimately good deals per
> year you can probably scrape together by stacking promotions up. I'd rather just
> shop wherever it's cheapest whenever I want to, since every time you don't buy Gamestop
> when you're running their discount programs, you're losing value on your investment.
> Which is why they came up with the nifty idea for you to pay them for your loyalty
> once they saw Amazon was doing well charging for it.
>
> Not to discredit those who find it fun to game Gamestop, that's whatever.

I get that.

I think Gamestop sometimes beats online prices though...like the Persona 5 PS4 Steelbook I found for $30, or the Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse I found for $20.

That, and with their 4 for $10/$20 sales, I can easily save money there vs. online...AND get things in the shape I want them to be in.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
14-Nov-2017(#53)
@whitefire ya I see what you mean, anything you want, with those you're limited to what it has.



SirConnery
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 1000 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Secret Santa
14-Nov-2017(#54)
GameStop is my prime source of PSN gift cards. Anytime there's decent trade in value I take in a bunch of games and get it all in PSN cash.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
14-Nov-2017(#55)
that's a good idea.


apparently if you have already paid for this, you can return the pass and your rented game and get a refund AND take any preowned game in the store. saw that on a kotaku article

Admiral
Silver Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
14-Nov-2017(#56)
I used to get Amazon cards with the trade ins, but they don't let you do that anymore.
Heavyd814life
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13) Secret Santa
14-Nov-2017(#57)
Admiral wrote:
> I used to get Amazon cards with the trade ins, but they don't let you do that anymore.

You can still get them, but you have to turn the trade credit into a Gamestop GC and then use that to buy the Amazon GC. Just don't do it all in the same transaction so you don't draw attention to yourself.

Admiral
Silver Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
14-Nov-2017(#58)
Good to know yes
SirConnery
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 1000 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Secret Santa
15-Nov-2017(#60)
The comments on that article are a riot to me. Lots of gamers complaining about how the systems run DOS or equivalent antiquated GUI so they can't possibly accomplish something at this magnitude. Because if the interface isn't super pretty like consoles have, it's obviously useless crap. Don't enter the accounting field children. rolls eyes
DiamondDave
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
15-Nov-2017(#61)
The interface for Xbox steadily and continually devolves into garbage more and more with each revision.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
* 15-Nov-2017(#62)
yes the new UI is even worse and slower than the old, it really is ass. id even take the last one as opposed to this one its so bad. do they not focus group or test this crap at all?

SirConnery
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 1000 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Secret Santa
15-Nov-2017(#63)
Yes, at a Microsoft store to a group of millennials that are surface owners.
devans77
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
15-Nov-2017(#64)
yeah i dont get much xbox time anymore but i turned on my xbone the other day and thought how crappy it was

SirConnery
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 1000 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Secret Santa
15-Nov-2017(#65)
I stopped by GameStop for a trade in today. I asked what they thought of the latest Xbox GUI update. He said it was totes magotes. The assistant manager said he thought it was awesome and sleek as fudge.

So there's your audience...
devans77
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
15-Nov-2017(#66)
If that's a true story they probably don't own one and are just trying to promote a sale

DiamondDave
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
15-Nov-2017(#67)
If you woulda said you hated it they'd probably agree.
SirConnery
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 1000 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Secret Santa
15-Nov-2017(#68)
They told me that everything looks better on Xbox One X. I said didn't only certain games look better on it? They seemed to think it upscaled all games to "almost native 4K".
SirConnery
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 1000 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Secret Santa
15-Nov-2017(#69)
Another location I go to has a manager that tells everyone Microsoft has such great things in the pipeline, people just need to be patient.
Noid
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader
15-Nov-2017(#70)
DiamondDave
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
15-Nov-2017(#71)
SirConnery wrote:
> They told me that everything looks better on Xbox One X. I said didn't only certain
> games look better on it? They seemed to think it upscaled all games to "almost native
> 4K".

Because, you know, that's how it works right? You SCALE stuff to NATIVE resolutions! Holy shiet, they've got some wicked snake oil salesmen working in those stores to guide the ignorant, don't they

Topic   Gamestop offering 6 month unlimited game rental for $60(Plus keep 1 game at end)