General

Topic   How do you deal with working a full time job?

TeflonTitan
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
22-Sep-2012(#1)
Im 23 and just now started working my 1st fulltime job (i know, its sad). Its taking a toll on me and its only the second week. Aside from the physical exhaustion it feels like I dont have time to do much of anything on days I work. Is this what life comes to? I have a ton of games that must be played...The future is bleak...
S
Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
22-Sep-2012(#2)
You can always kill yourself.
TeflonTitan
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
22-Sep-2012(#3)
S wrote:
> You can always kill yourself.

Before I play "The Last of Us"?...Not an option.
Patiencepage
Bronze Good Trader This user is on the site NOW (6 minutes ago)
22-Sep-2012(#4)
That's what evenings and weekends are for. If possible you could adjust your lifestyle/situation and try to get by on working less hours or a part time job but that's not very likely to happen unless you live with parents or have a highly marketable and valuable skill.

image
Scots
Go Hawks GameTZ Gold Subscriber Double Gold Good Trader
Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Secret Santa
22-Sep-2012(#5)
It's real life man.

Check out the official GTZ GUN FORUM!
"It's not the critic who counts"
Nickodeemuss
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 22-Sep-2012(#6)
I work 65-70 hours a week including weekends. Sucks, but you get used to it. Just makes you value your free time more. Unfortunately my video game playing time has become almost non existent as of late but whenever I have free time now I want to go out and actually do crap.

_______
image
RickHarrison
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
22-Sep-2012(#7)
Same with what Nick said. When I was working 6 days a week, 12 hour days, the one day I did get off was great. Everything in the world seemed to sync up and I would have tons of good times. I was practically at Folsom Lake every day off partying.
flyngmonbob
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Double Gold Good Trader
22-Sep-2012(#8)
Copious amounts of marijuana. Its how I unwind at the end of the day and it helps me fall asleep.
Nick
Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews
22-Sep-2012(#9)
I pretty much drink nightly and just enjoy the weekends. I've can finish around 3 beers just on the drive home from work.

My job is so-so though. A couple weeks ago I worked a 14 hour day followed by a 12 hour day, and I was fudging beat, but then sometimes I get off super early, so it all ends up a wash pretty much.
TeflonTitan
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 22-Sep-2012(#10)
Patiencepage wrote:
> That's what evenings and weekends are for. If possible
> you could adjust your lifestyle/situation and try to
> get by on working less hours or a part time job but
> that's not very likely to happen unless you live with
> parents or have a highly marketable and valuable skill.
>
>

Thats another thing that sucks. Its an overnight position. :(


Scots wrote:
> It's real life man.
>
>

I was afraid of that...


Nickodeemuss wrote:
> I work 65-70 hours a week including weekends. Sucks,
> but you get used to it. Just makes you value your free
> time more. Unfortunately my video game playing time
> has become almost non existent as of late but whenever
> I have free time now I want to go out and actually
> do crap.
>
>

I know I'll eventually have to get use to it. Guess I just need to make the most out of the little free time I have.

LesGold wrote:
> Same with what Nick said. When I was working 6 days
> a week, 12 hour days, the one day I did get off was
> great. Everything in the world seemed to sync up and
> I would have tons of good times. I was practically
> at Folsom Lake every day off partying.

Lucky man. but fudge me 12 hour days!?


flyngmonbob wrote:
> Copious amounts of marijuana. Its how I unwind at the
> end of the day and it helps me fall asleep.

I dont smoke, plus my employer drug tests.


Nick wrote:
> I pretty much drink nightly and just enjoy the weekends.
> I've can finish around 3 beers just on the drive home
> from work.
>
> My job is so-so though. A couple weeks ago I worked
> a 14 hour day followed by a 12 hour day, and I was
> fudging beat, but then sometimes I get off super early,
> so it all ends up a wash pretty much.

You drink on your way driving home? fudgen aye.
Chad
GameTZ Subscriber Double Gold Good Trader
22-Sep-2012(#11)
stop watching tv as just a time waster. nothing good on before 8 so do other crap then.

winters suck though when its already dark when i get home.
TeflonTitan
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
22-Sep-2012(#12)
Chad wrote:
> stop watching tv as just a time waster. nothing good
> on before 8 so do other crap then.
>
> winters suck though when its already dark when i get
> home.

I think I need a job with normal hours rather than the graveyard shift. May make things a little smoother.
Rastaguy2
Bronze Good Trader
22-Sep-2012(#13)
Find a way to love your Job. I personally just love working, like a communist, the more I work the happier I am, and the job has to be like... a SERIOUSLY demanding one too.
Demonis
Gold Good Trader
22-Sep-2012(#14)
Yeah, sounds like a full time job. Even if its a job you love, its going to take up 50+ hours of your week. You get enough time to do some chores, eat, shower, and sleep. Weekends are all you get for the rest of your life. Welcome to adulthood.
TeflonTitan
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
22-Sep-2012(#15)
Yup...Adulthood....Im only about 5 years late. lol
Scott
It's a secret to everybody. GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
This user is on the site NOW (56 seconds ago)
22-Sep-2012(#16)
You have a lot of free time right now. Don't have kids any time soon, that's when you will REALLY have no free time.

To be honest, I'm kind of surprised that this is the first time in your life you've been this busy. My last two years of high school I had a part time job and put in at least 50-60 hours between school and work. Then all 4 years of college I worked full time while taking a full-time class load. Is this the first time you've had ANY job or something?
Johnny
Johnny GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader
22-Sep-2012(#17)
I'm having the same problem. But a little bit different.
Student teaching 745-530 Monday through Friday. Then I work 6am-10pm on Saturdays and Sundays at mcdonalds.
That's fudging right. 32 hours on the weekends. My next day off is thanksgiving  * frown *
Life can get worse man.

image
hobbes21
transmogrified 21 times GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
Secret Santa
22-Sep-2012(#18)
Funny, I just started my career after graduating a few months ago. I work a normal 40 hour work week and I have found I have more free time than I ever did when I was at engineering school. It is so nice not to have class, projects, homework, tests etc. I also eliminated over an hour of my commute each way as I live ten minutes from my job now.

Having actual money and more free time has made me play less games and want to get out more lilke other people have said. I now have the ability to take my girlfriend out whenever and meet friends for drinks without having to consider budget nearly as much. I'm still living a college liqfestyle with partying and whatnot but don't have to worry about the school aspect anymore so I guess I'm really enjoying being a part of the real workforce even though I worked all the way through college to pay for it.
Nick
Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews
22-Sep-2012(#19)
Villest1 wrote:
> Nick wrote:
>> I pretty much drink nightly and just enjoy the weekends.
>> I've can finish around 3 beers just on the drive home
>> from work.
>>
>> My job is so-so though. A couple weeks ago I worked
>> a 14 hour day followed by a 12 hour day, and I was
>> fudging beat, but then sometimes I get off super early,
>> so it all ends up a wash pretty much.
>
> You drink on your way driving home? fudgen aye.

Yeah brah, it's called living way the fudge out in the country.
d3vanj
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 22-Sep-2012(#20)
It's life man. Obviously I'm in a different situation in the Marine Corps, but this week I worked from 5 am to 7 PM Mon-Fri and today I worked 5 am to noon. I'm off the rest of today and tomorrow, then it's back to work Monday. I never really feel like I have time to re-coop, but one positive is we get every single federal holiday off, so Colombus Day coming up I will have off Fri Sat and Sunday..that is the stuff that keeps me going. How I deal with it, though..normally every Fri and Sat there's massive parties with everybody from my shop..so I'm basically hammered by 8 or 9 on Fridays, then to work Saturday..as soon as I get off Saturdays I'm usually 5 beers deep by 1 or 2 PM.


image
Modest_Oddity
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally This user is in chat NOW
22-Sep-2012(#21)
I work 8-12 a day, and then go home and do school online, which is the work of a full-time student, all the while juggling a personal life, family, friends, games, etc.

It's life, man. Unless you're the child of a rich person, you'll be working these types of hours for a long time. Just prioritize and keep on keepin' on.

image
Karaiya
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
* 22-Sep-2012(#22)
Get a wife and kids and we can discuss this then. I've going to run a few miles then I'm going to the Burlington mall to get some new running shoes.
Priest_of_Gaming
They call me big daddy. GameTZ Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 8 Reviews
23-Sep-2012(#23)
Working full-time can definitely suck, however, its what life is all about. I don't think you should have to "cope with normal life" by drowning yourself in alcohol. That seems pathetic to me.



image
TeflonTitan
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
23-Sep-2012(#24)
Yeah, I think maybe part of the stress im feeling may be do to the fact that i'm pretty sure the people I work with dont like me much. At least thats the vibe I'm getting. I could just be over reacting though. I have a feeling if I worked at a place where I felt 100% comfortable then it wouldn't be so bad regardless of what the work is.
d3vanj
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
23-Sep-2012(#25)
that's what happens when you are the new guy man. Nobody likes the new guy by default..give it a few weeks and you'll start to make friends. That's how it's been wherever I've worked. Just keep being yourself and doing your job.


image
Karaiya
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
23-Sep-2012(#26)
Don't worry about it. I hate the people I work with. They aren't bad people however, they just aren't my "type" of people if that makes sense. Just terribly lame. The people do make a big part of the enjoyment of working. I've only got a year left before I get a new assignment. Where do you work anyway if you don't mind me asking?
Sid_Ceaser
WWW.CEASERPHOTOGRAPHY.COM GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
Has Written 6 Reviews
23-Sep-2012(#27)
Villest1 wrote:
> Im 23 and just now started working my 1st fulltime job (i know, its
> sad). Its taking a toll on me and its only the second week. Aside
> from the physical exhaustion it feels like I dont have time to do
> much of anything on days I work. Is this what life comes to? I have
> a ton of games that must be played...The future is bleak...


If you listen very closely, you can hear the actual second that Villest starts to become an adult!

Welcome to that moment in your life when your priorities and responsibility change!

The cool thing is that your game purchases will dwindle down to a few games a year because you don't have *any* time to play. You'll save money! ;)

Also, I'd suggest finding a full time day job. Overnight shifts can really mess with your internal body rhythm and stuff. Not cool.




d3vanj
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
23-Sep-2012(#28)
Sid_Ceaser wrote:

>
> Also, I'd suggest finding a full time day job. Overnight shifts can
> really mess with your internal body rhythm and stuff. Not cool.
>
>

I don't know, I work all day now, and worked nights before I joined. At Checkers/Rallys I worked 8pm to 5am 4 or 5 nights a week and I preferred that much more than working all day. I was actually able to get to places like the post office, doctors, etc. etc. without having to miss work.

image
Karaiya
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
23-Sep-2012(#29)
gosh darn I miss Checkers/Rally's.
TeflonTitan
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 23-Sep-2012(#30)
Sid_Ceaser wrote:
>
>
> If you listen very closely, you can hear the actual
> second that Villest starts to become an adult!

Ahhh...Right in the childhood...lol
>
> Welcome to that moment in your life when your priorities
> and responsibility change!
>
> The cool thing is that your game purchases will dwindle
> down to a few games a year because you don't have *any*
> time to play. You'll save money! ;)
>
> Also, I'd suggest finding a full time day job. Overnight
> shifts can really mess with your internal body rhythm
> and stuff. Not cool.
>


Yeah, I think the whole Graveyard Shift is also a factor to how im feeling. I plan to continue my job search while being employed here, hopefully a better full time job with normal hours show up. Until then i'm stuck here.  * frown *
TeflonTitan
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 23-Sep-2012(#31)
TekkamanBlade wrote:
> Don't worry about it. I hate the people I work with.
> They aren't bad people however, they just aren't my
> "type" of people if that makes sense. Just terribly
> lame. The people do make a big part of the enjoyment
> of working. I've only got a year left before I get
> a new assignment. Where do you work anyway if you
> don't mind me asking?


Yeah, I know what you mean. Its hard to tell right know if these are "my type" of people. They seem cool but it just seems like they have a little club and im not in it...yet. I'll give it some time and hopefully that will change. As for what I do, it's just factory work moving boxes, driving forklifts etc. etc. Not a career by any stretch. Just a job to pay the bills for the time being.
Sid_Ceaser
WWW.CEASERPHOTOGRAPHY.COM GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
Has Written 6 Reviews
23-Sep-2012(#32)
d3vanj wrote:
> Sid_Ceaser wrote:
>
>>
>> Also, I'd suggest finding a full time day job. Overnight shifts
> can
>> really mess with your internal body rhythm and stuff. Not cool.
>
>>
>>
>
> I don't know, I work all day now, and worked nights before I joined.
> At Checkers/Rallys I worked 8pm to 5am 4 or 5 nights a week and I
> preferred that much more than working all day. I was actually able
> to get to places like the post office, doctors, etc. etc. without
> having to miss work.
>

I had an old neighbor who has worked overnight shifts for decades. He is in his late 40's, early 50's now. He has no friends. He sleeps all day, and on those occasions when I did see him needing to go out to do errands he always looked so tired and groggy and pale. I actually think over the last ten or so years he's been turning into a monster.

I have a buddy who is self-employed and he is one of these guys that stays up all night and then can't function during the day. Unfortunately, his job deals with dealing with people that work during the day, so he's always missing phone-meetings and stuff. Or he makes them, but he's tired and groggy.

I could never do an overnight shift. Bodies need sunlight.
rayzor6
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
23-Sep-2012(#33)
I worked nights and went through what Sid is talking about. I didn't want to be around people and thought about dying quite a bit after a while.

Amazed how many need alcohol to cope...I have struggled with the same thing and it isn't a sign of a happy life.
thunderdonkey
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader
Canada Secret Santa
23-Sep-2012(#34)
Yeah it can be stressful now, but try to manage and get used to it as best you can now because it gets even harder when you're older and married with kids.

I'm 36, married, with a 5 year old son who just started kindergarten this year. I work a full time job (about 50 hours per week) as a manager at a very busy TV/Home Audio/Car Audio/Applaince/Cellular/Satellite store. My wife works evening shifts (about 4pm-10pm) 5 days a week as a server at a fine dining restaurant in order to bring in a bit more money. During the day while my son is at school she is working on getting a degree in holistic nutrition by correspondence.
When I get home from work (about 6pm) my wife has already been at work for 2 hours. I have to drive the babysitter home, come back and cook dinner for my son and I, spend an hour or so with my son before putting him to bed at about 8. I then have to do the dishes, make my sons lunch for the next day, and any other housecleaning that my wife didn't have a chance to do during the day while she was doing her school work. After all that, I maybe have 30 minutes to an hour all to myself (for video games or other mindless activity) until my wife gets home from work. She gets home, eats, and then we have about an hour together before going to bed and doing it all over again the next day.

We manage it though, and I make sure that I have Sunday and Mondays as my days off work. That way we all have Sunday off together as a family (until my wife goes to work at 4), and my wife and I have Monday off all to ourselves while our son is at school.

That my friend is real life.

image
d3vanj
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
23-Sep-2012(#35)
That's tough, Thunder. I couldn't imagine only having 1 day with my wife. I get off work around 7 PM, and she works days while going to school M/W nights. She is home M/W by 8, and every other day she is home by 6 with every other weekend off, so we still have prettymuch every night and every other weekend together. Throwing a kid into that mix would be hectic, though..


image
Boss
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
Gold Global Trader (8) Secret Santa
23-Sep-2012(#36)
Someone needs to post the pic of the father and son with the quote something like "One day you will own these games you will never play".

Welcome to real life.
Mitsuru

(abandoned)
23-Sep-2012(#37)
I've never really struggled working full-time. I've always managed to work at something I minimally semi-enjoy. 2 years ago, I was a lead at Best Buy. Expectations were high and pay was low, but I enjoyed company with my co-workers and talking to people is something I enjoy. When I quit there, I worked Verizon.Technology and phones made it easy to tolerate and pay was good. Now, I get up in the morning work 5 hours at a local computer store as a repair technician, then get off, go workout, and run my own gaming store for 8 hours a day.

It gets stressful, and I find myself having to take deep breaths so I don't blow up at some of the stupid bs I have to deal with on a day to day basis.

What it really comes down to is that in life you get to a point where there's no "how do you deal with it" question. It's just, you do or you don't. It's like muscle reflex. Make it or break it.
Patiencepage
Bronze Good Trader This user is on the site NOW (6 minutes ago)
23-Sep-2012(#38)
Working one job full time for the past year has been better for me than any of the years I was in school. In college I had to leave my house at 6:30am, classes from 8:00 - 3:00, work from 4:00 - 11:00, then home by midnight, do some homework and start the whole thing over the next day. It wasn't fun, but I managed to enjoy what I could. On the weekends I worked 6:30am till 2:00, then waited tables from 4:00 - 11:00. There was rarely ANY day during that entire period of time that I had an entire day off without work or school. It was tough but I got used to it, and it was either that or drop out of school which simply wasn't an option. Even though it sucked I'm glad I went through it because now working 40-50 hours a week seems easy, and having evenings and weekends off is awesome. Plus, I was VERY well adjusted to paying my own bills and managing money long before most of my friends/colleagues.


image
MuscleofJustice
350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 5 Reviews
(frozen)
23-Sep-2012(#39)
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I don't "deal with working a full time job". For most that hate their job, they have to "deal with it", but ultimately that person isn't happy and they should find something else to do for a living. If by "deal with it" you mean have a lot less spare time to do thing you want to do, then yes there is that but that means you're becoming an adult, like Sid said.
Sid_Ceaser
WWW.CEASERPHOTOGRAPHY.COM GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
Has Written 6 Reviews
23-Sep-2012(#40)

I love what I do and I'm trying to make a living doing it. It's hard, and working for yourself is really more like working 80 hours a week, because since I'm in a form of a service industry, I like to be able to work with timeframes that clients need; sometimes that is a weekend shoot, or an evening shoot, or whenever.


Boss
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
Gold Global Trader (8) Secret Santa
23-Sep-2012(#41)
Work hard now while you're young and pay your dues. With enough experience and knowledge you can hopefully move up in the world and even find a job career you love/like waking up every morning for.

I for one like my career but this is only after working my way up.
Spunion
Has Written 12 Reviews
(abandoned)
23-Sep-2012(#42)
Develop a personal relationship with your coworkers. best advice you'll get. Aside from that, take pride in what you do. Give it your best and always try to go above and beyond what is acceptable.

I started earning a paycheck when I was 12 and got my first full time job a few months after I turned 18.
Riotricity
Gamertag: Riotricity GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Secret Santa
24-Sep-2012(#43)
I'm working full time right now at a Walmart Neighborhood Market and I love it, keeps me busy plus I met new friends there. Is not tiresome, and we get 1 hour and 15 minutes lunches, so maybe that helps too.

-----------
image
Join the Movie/Game Share Forum Here

Topic   How do you deal with working a full time job?