General

Topic   We need to talk about the HBO Max & Discovery+ merger

EclipseLion
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 5-Aug(#1)
Discovery bought WB and now from now on will be called Warner Bros. Discovery (WBD)
A merged app between HBO Max and Discovery+ will roll out summer of 2023

There have already been several titles cut from HBO Max:

• Amy
• Amsterdam
• An American Pickle
• Charm City Kings
• Czech It Out
• Final Space (I personally enjoyed this one)
• Full Bloom
• Here and Now
• Locked Down
• Moonshot
• Mrs. Fletcher
• Vinyl
• The Witches (2020)

Titles To Be Removed:

12 Dates of Christmas
About Last Night
Aquaman: King of Atlantis
Close Enough
Detention Adventure
Dodo
Ellen's Next Great Designer
Elliott From Earth
Esme & Roy
The Fungies!
Generation Hustle
Genera+ion
Infinity Train
Little Ellen
Mao Mao, Heroes of Pure Heart
Messy Goes to Okido
Mia's Magic Playground
Mighty Magiswords
My Dinner with Herve
My Mom, Your Dad
Odo
OK K.O.! -- Let's Be Heroes
The Ollie & Moon Show
Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures
Ravi Patel's Pursuit of Happiness
Select Sesame Street Specials
Make It Big, Make It Small
Share
Squish
Summer Camp Island
The Not-Too-Late Show with Elmo
The Runaway Bunny -- Special
Theodosia
Tig n' Seek
Uncle Grandpa
Victor and Valentino
Yabba Dabba Dinosaurs

One thing Discovery is adding to HBO Max is what they've coined as 'the EXCLUSIVE HOME of the 90-DAY UNIVERSE' ("90 Day Fiancι Universe.")
There will no longer be WB movies premiering on HBO Max, not after executives saw that Top Gun: Maverick was the critical movie that got people back into theaters en masse in a post covid world, aka "Tom Cruise saves the movie theater industry."
Batgirl (starring Leslie Grace and featuring Michael Keaton reprising his role as Batman) was the next direct-to-streaming movie that would've been released on HBO Max, that movie was canceled and shelved indefinitely after the near-complete film bombed after two test screenings, one in its original form and the second after changes were made after constructive criticisms were made from the first screening. WB has deemed the film 'Irredeemable' even though it's reported its cost was 90 million to make. The upcoming Supergirl film (starring Sasha Calle) will not be moving forward as a by-product of the Batgirl film cancellation. It's unsure what'll happen with the Harry Potter spinoff series' fantastic beasts but what is certain is that the latest film secrets of Dumbledore is the worst-grossing film of the entire franchise.
One of the best things (in my opinion) to come out of this is that little Ellen (think Little Bill (Cosby) but for Ellen Degeneres) has been canceled before its 3rd season.





bumsplikity
Double Gold Good Trader
5-Aug(#2)
Maybe now we can get the boat from Deadliest Catch as a character in Multiversus.
SwiftJAB
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
5-Aug(#3)
Consolidations of streaming services to make streaming more like cable/satellite TV packages is what everyone is clamoring for. Right?

KCPenguins
Gold Good Trader
5-Aug(#4)
Time to cancel Discovery+ as soon as the cost increases.
Porksta
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
5-Aug(#5)
Good thing I have a large shelf of physical media.

DrizzDrizzDrizz
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Croatia
5-Aug(#6)
Wait Final Space wasnt done after s3?
Foxhack
350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
5-Aug(#7)
The new CEO is burying almost finished products and writing them off for tax purposes. It's insane. That guy is killing Warner Bros on purpose and I wouldn't be surprised if this was part of a plan to resell everything for some profit.
EclipseLion
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
6-Aug(#8)
DrizzDrizzDrizz wrote:
> Wait Final Space wasnt done after s3?

Cut as in you can no longer access it on HBO max. I still had episodes left and have to use a site like wcostream to finish up the series

DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
6-Aug(#9)
Foxhack wrote:
> The new CEO is burying almost finished products and writing them off for tax purposes.
> It's insane. That guy is killing Warner Bros on purpose and I wouldn't be surprised
> if this was part of a plan to resell everything for some profit.

I would imagine if Batgirl hadn't audience tested so ghastly (reportedly!) and had a main character star nobody'd heard of flanked by a bunch of people they HAD heard of, it probably would have gone to Streaming instead of ...not. See Sandman, that was actually released and reportedly is quite good, so it doesn't make sense that they'd take a finished product and say they're pivoting away from Streaming so it's not coming out. It must have actually been brand harming for a production company that put out unwatchable crap like Batwoman to say "Nah, not that"
Foxhack
350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
* 6-Aug(#10)
Explain the Scoob sequel being canned when it was so close to being finished, and them saying they're pivoting away from animation. And all the other canceled projects and shows. And their DISASTROUS presentation from the other day.

The management is completely out of touch with reality AND the people who actually watch HBO.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
6-Aug(#11)
Batgirl literally scored the same test screening score as Black Adam, which is still going forward. The Flash is still going forward despite its wildly abusive and groomer star.

There's a very obvious reason Batgirl was the movie scrapped, and it's fudging lame.
Foxhack
350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
6-Aug(#12)
We're not even sure what's gonna happen with the Flash movie considering the amount of crap the lead guy keeps getting into. I was expecting them to replace him and reshoot of all his footage... but at this point who knows.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 6-Aug(#13)
"The Flash Movie Reportedly Safe After WB's Shock Batgirl Cancellation"

https://screenrant.com/is-the-flash-movie-cancelle...

Who knows what "make them better" means, but I hope it means replacing Miller in The Flash. Flashpoint is the easiest story to do so. Regardless, the movie is still very much going forward as planned as of right now.
Archer
GameTZ Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review This user is on the site NOW (51 seconds ago)
6-Aug(#14)
theJaw wrote:
> "The Flash Movie Reportedly Safe After WB's Shock Batgirl Cancellation"
>
>
> Who knows what "make them better" means, but I hope it means replacing Miller in
> The Flash. Flashpoint is the easiest story to do so. Regardless, the movie is still
> very much going forward as planned as of right now.

That is bat crap insane. How has this dude not been canceled and put in prison.
Foxhack
350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
6-Aug(#15)
Archer wrote:
> theJaw wrote:
>> "The Flash Movie Reportedly Safe After WB's Shock Batgirl Cancellation"
>>
>>
>> Who knows what "make them better" means, but I hope it means replacing Miller
> in
>> The Flash. Flashpoint is the easiest story to do so. Regardless, the movie is
> still
>> very much going forward as planned as of right now.
>
> That is bat crap insane. How has this dude not been canceled and put in prison.

That's what I'm wondering, too! The guy is a massive liability, his contract must have some serious power for them to not risk breaking it.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
6-Aug(#16)
theJaw wrote:
> "The Flash Movie Reportedly Safe After WB's Shock Batgirl Cancellation"
>

Now that makes no fudging sense
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 7-Aug(#17)
Apparently the fella who is spearheading this WB/Discovery merger and has control over HBO Max is the same dude who destroyed CNN+ the same week he took it over. Opinions on CNN aside, the service didn't pull major numbers but most services give themselves an allotted time to grow. So lots of folks have reported that this dude nixing CNN+ after one single week was likely out of spite for the previous regime having dared to start a streaming service without his inclusion. Kevin Smith even talked about this stuff on his most recent "Hollywood Babble-On" podcast. Now this same dude has control of HBO Max, and it's already been revealed that he plans on starting a new service to replace HBO Max in 2023. It has been confirmed that there will be no more WB releases straight to HBO Max, and WB movies in general will no longer be released to HBO Max after 45 days in theaters.

Now, movies based on DC properties will be releasing solely to theaters, with a complete erasure of focus on streaming properties. Aka HBO Max movies and TV shows. He apparently claimed this was due to Disney's success with the Marvel franchise, while COMPLETELY disregarding how Disney/Marvel have very obviously taken the leap into streaming with several expensive, successful streaming shows existing in their franchise.

This new guy in charge is OUT OF TOUCH and anything that falls under the WB/Discovery umbrella is entirely up in the air at this point. Makes me worried for AEW, a wrestling company that rules but also relies on the whim of batty Discovery executives at this point, quality be damned. And Peacemaker Season 2, which is the poster boy for DC streaming TV at this point.
ryanflucas
GameTZ Subscriber 1000 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
7-Aug(#18)
"Little Ellen"? Wtf kind of crap is that? That's as bad as a "Little Drew" (Barrymore) if it ever existed.
BioHazardMan
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 6 Reviews
8-Aug(#19)
Does anybody else think WB should just embrace the meme at this point and release Batgirl for rental or something? I was chatting with a friend of mine and I'm like I'd easily pay $10 to rent it for the meme value alone, could be an even more popular Morbius if they play their cards right, I feel with all the negative hype they could turn a profit that way
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 8-Aug(#20)
If we're going by the whole "cancelled because it was bad" narrative, you'd still theoretically get the exact level of "meme value" from Black Adam as they both received the same test screening scores. So no worries regarding the memes! Personally, I think they should just release Batgirl the way initially intended so that folks can watch and judge whether it's good or bad all on their own. Especially considering it's already 90% completed.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 8-Aug(#21)
What if it's really, really fudging bad and hurts the brand

Like, worse than Justice League, which had Ben Affleck running away screaming

Like, I wouldn't mind seeing it, I love a good cringer, but typically people don't do this sort of stuff out of spite. I'm sure you can inject studio politics into this stuff all you want, but this would have been an easy drop, hide and watch release, especially if it tested well, which it sounds like it did not.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 8-Aug(#22)
Again, it tested as well as Black Adam, which is getting the whole theatrical roll out. The narrative that it's "so bad it can't be released" is false. If it's bad, it's bad, but it'll never "hurt the brand" harder than it's already been hurt. Certainly not more than releasing an Ezra Miller-lead Flash movie would hurt the brand. The filmmakers and crew deserve to have what they worked on released. Seems a lot like "it's just bad so let's write it off" is just a real lame excuse from network heads (or a specific network head) for whatever reason.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 8-Aug(#23)
No, it scored as well as Black Adam's FIRST cut. So let's continue traveling to imaginary land where either of us actually have any fudging idea what we're talking about and assume hey, it could have been a lot better, but we can fix it, WB, just give us another $3.5m-10m for reshoots and re-editing and we can fix it. (or whatever it would take)

This was a streaming project, Black Adam is pretty much a guaranteed slam dunk at the box office. Is it REALLY that much of a surprise one got resources to "fix" and the other didn't? And do you really think they're this adverse to make easy money that they would simply throw a mostly completed project in the trash just to spite someone?

Risk versus reward. If it was really that good, it would have been released. It wasn't released. Out of all the people complaining that corporations thoughtlessly release awful dogcrap to the masses because it's free money, it's still shocking to me that they inexplicably roll out the "release the crapty films" banners at random intervals. Cowboy Bebop was actually SUPER good, why did it get cancelled, I've never seen CB and I loved it, as did the almost nobody who watched past the first two episodes, come on, renew it! We REALLY liked Morbius deeper than memes, just release it again and we'll go see it this time, promise.

The outrage is funny, to me. The people who worked on the project got their paychecks, so minus some possible, POSSIBLE residuals for a few people who got underpaid up front, the only loss here is your time (arguing in its defense, the movie not being released actually saved you a net hour 45 minutes) and WB's money. Just let it go.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 8-Aug(#24)
I mean, I'm not living in a fantasy land by talking about this stuff. I understand how test screenings are judged and how films are budgeted. Been following this crap for years and even made money doing so for a little while. If you don't understand what you're discussing, whatev. It's certainly no surprise that Black Adam got more resources and I absolutely never insinuated it was. It's lead by a top male star in Hollywood, of course it's going to take priority over a Latino female-lead film, streaming or not. What I'm saying is that it's SUPER lame that it always happens that way and especially under these specific circumstances with a near-complete movie that promotion had already begun for. You can agree or disagree, I sincerely couldn't give less of a fudge either way, but it's a-okay for one to acknowledge the crapty decision making here even if you don't agree with the assessment.

The "damaging the brand" argument is a moot point when it's in defense of a studio who has very publicly been raked over the coals for their treatment of employees, actors and crew for the past half decade and have done very little to ease those situations. When there's a film starring a groomer on the horizon, and another featuring someone involved in a notable recent abuse case. Not to mention the awfully-received movies they keep releasing. DC is damaged goods already, releasing a female-lead superhero movie straight to streaming was never going to "damage" DC further the way you're suggesting, regardless of quality.

The fact remains that Batgirl was received as well as Black Adam's first cut, yes, so considering they went ahead and rolled out the whole nine yards for Black Adam, it stands to reason that Batgirl ISN'T as "crapty" as you're pretending to know it is just because that's what WB told you. Or, at the very least, we know it's not so universally "crapty" that DC would automatically cancel any movie of a similar quality and refuse to fix it - again, because we know Black Adam was granted the opportunity to move along despite testing the same. Batgirl's already complete, it's already paid for. The only risk other than a low critical score, at this point, would be the marketing material. For theatrical movies, that would just about double the overall budget, but HBO Max exclusives have historically cost far less in general marketing due to the simplicity of streaming. Worst case scenario, at this point: they lose a few extra million for reshoots & gain subscribers who want to see the movie. By not releasing it, they literally just spent $90mil on NOTHING. Even if they were to pony up a couple million more for fixes, they're at a far larger loss by not releasing it at this point and that's worth acknowledging.

All that aside, just on a surface level, a studio promises and promotes a movie, releases stills of it, releases a cast list, creates a social buzz for it... and then cancels it for a literal no reason. That deserves criticism regardless of the circumstances, and WB is notoriously run like a sinking ship. If they didn't believe in it, don't promote it, don't sink money into it and don't raise audience and creator expectations the way they did.

It's truly not that difficult to understand how this is a boneheaded move, whether you want to label that as "outrage" or not.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 8-Aug(#25)
It's fanatical outrage, honestly. You can literally write paragraphs about how this movie you've never seen deserved to be released and you know better than the producers do, so I don't know what to say. I'm sad you're sad. THIS is sad. I'd ask you to elaborate on how it's sad that "this always happens this way" but honestly, whatever. Fight the fight! Sign the petitions, demand the Batgirl. Whatever sparks joy. I'm just saying, they have the numbers, it's possible that the money spent on reshoots would NOT match the money brought in by subscribers (which may have already plateaued and is already decaying with no guarantee of rebounding, for one month), but okay. WB just hates to make money, which is why they just fired everyone draining their account without returns and hired new people in their place. Boneheads, honestly. If they can save more money on tax writeoffs by NOT releasing the stuff than they would releasing it, frankly that seems like the correct move to make.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 8-Aug(#26)
DarkFact wrote:
> It's fanatical outrage, honestly. You can literally write paragraphs about how this
> movie you've never seen deserved to be released and you know better than the producers
> do, so I don't know what to say. I'm sad you're sad. THIS is sad. I'd ask you
> to elaborate on how it's sad that "this always happens this way" but honestly, whatever.
> Fight the fight! Sign the petitions, demand the Batgirl. Whatever sparks joy.
> I'm just saying, they have the numbers, it's possible that the money spent on reshoots
> would NOT match the money brought in by subscribers (which may have already plateaued
> and is already decaying with no guarantee of rebounding, for one month), but okay.
> WB just hates to make money, which is why they just fired everyone draining their
> account without returns and hired new people in their place. Boneheads, honestly.
> If they can save more money on tax writeoffs by NOT releasing the stuff than they
> would releasing it, frankly that seems like the correct move to make.

You're just arguing based off your own personal assumptions when there are track records for how these movies and their reshoots have historically been budgeted. The "tax write-off" angle has widely been criticized by people who ACTUALLY know how much it would cost WB to release it vs. the money they would have wasted by NOT releasing it. You know, professionals in the field, not a historically dismissive member of a message board who openly admits to not knowing what they're talking about yet who, for some reason, can't seem to stop arguing tooth-and-nail about it. Wild. You not giving a fudge about any of this is a valid enough response, but your personal reaction doesn't negate that it was a stupid decision made at the top level by a movie studio. Your "hate making money" deflection to the personnel change up is irrelevant, that's not the boneheaded decision we're talking about.

Not everything is "outrage" just because it doesn't match up perfectly with how you react to it. Typing paragraphs isn't a huge undertaking for most people. It's not a sign that one is "outraged", it's literally just how people relay information to others. If you don't like to read, that's a "you" thing, but I'm not typing because I'm over here steaming mad at the meanies running WB. I'm just pointing out how I feel about this situation and how I've observed industry insiders feeling about this situation, using actual information and historical precedent - and you're just overly sensitive to people not agreeing with everything you say. World keeps on a-turning.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 8-Aug(#27)
theJaw wrote:
> DarkFact wrote:
>> It's fanatical outrage, honestly. You can literally write paragraphs about how
> this
>> movie you've never seen deserved to be released and you know better than the producers
>> do, so I don't know what to say. I'm sad you're sad. THIS is sad. I'd ask you
>> to elaborate on how it's sad that "this always happens this way" but honestly,
> whatever.
>> Fight the fight! Sign the petitions, demand the Batgirl. Whatever sparks joy.
>> I'm just saying, they have the numbers, it's possible that the money spent on
> reshoots
>> would NOT match the money brought in by subscribers (which may have already plateaued
>> and is already decaying with no guarantee of rebounding, for one month), but okay.
>> WB just hates to make money, which is why they just fired everyone draining their
>> account without returns and hired new people in their place. Boneheads, honestly.
>> If they can save more money on tax writeoffs by NOT releasing the stuff than
> they
>> would releasing it, frankly that seems like the correct move to make.
>
> You're just arguing based off your own personal assumptions

Look, I can literally just throw this crap right back in your face. You don't know. You refuse to apply Occam's Razor to this thing and assume the worst, even with no evidence and discarding the evidence to the contrary. Like I said, fight the fight, you're good. You're the only person you have to convince here.

You're 100% correct, I accede to your assumptions; it was canned because it was TOO good, and releasing it would have ushered in an era of vast adoption of female minority representation in the DC Universe and the white men in charge could NOT allow it to occur (it ALWAYS goes down this way!), roger.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 8-Aug(#28)
Not everybody is as out of the loop (admittedly) to this stuff as you are. Refusing to take historical precedent, personal experience and the conversations happening among industry insiders solely because you get triggered whenever it's suggested a white dude did something wrong doesn't negate the possibility. For the record, this would have been a stupid decision regardless of who made it. I'm not even trying to throw anything in your face, I was explaining this situation and why people are adverse to it to the best of my ability and you once again just deluded the conversation to dismissive taunts in lieu of any educated point because that's easier than justifying your own baseless opinion. Classic.

Occam's Razor regards unknown phenomena and how the simplest theory should be applied over the more complex ones. It doesn't apply here because this isn't an "unknown phenomena" considering there are plenty examples of studio executives making poor financial decisions based off personal bias that resemble this one, and the simplest theory in this situation is that another executive made a similar poor decision. Certainly not out of the realm of possibility, and far more likely than trashing a complete, straight-to-streaming $90-million movie for a $20-million tax cut.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 8-Aug(#29)
Paragraphs, and you still don't know. For a movie you've never seen. This is actually nuts to me
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
8-Aug(#30)
It's not about having seen the movie or the quality of the movie, I don't know how you're failing to understand that. Paragraphs shouldn't be that daunting to a grown adult, but considering you're incapable of putting together a single point that isn't just whining about how much I type, I'm not sure what I was expecting from you.

This conversation has run its course. You're free to dismiss the situation, and folks are free to acknowledge it. Have a wonderful day bud.
Archer
GameTZ Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review This user is on the site NOW (51 seconds ago)
8-Aug(#31)
John Oliver had a go at the new guy in charge last night on his show as well. Saying hes clearly just burning the network down for the insurance money.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
8-Aug(#32)
Yah that seems to be the common thread going around. Dude has a history of shady practice.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 8-Aug(#33)
theJaw wrote:
> It's not about having seen the movie or the quality of the movie, I don't know how
> you're failing to understand that. Paragraphs shouldn't be that daunting to a grown
> adult, but considering you're incapable of putting together a single point that isn't
> just whining about how much I type, I'm not sure what I was expecting from you.
>

Some people equate typing a lot to saying a lot. I didn't see a lot. You could have shortened it to "You don't know, I actually know, I should be in charge of WB"

But you can keep scraping as many words together as you need to in order to try and convince me you know what's really happening, and it's sexist and racist. I encourage it. I'm nearly there.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 8-Aug(#35)
They can cancel Flashpoint while they're at it, the fudge is that still going on after Batgirl got axed? What does this guy have to do to get the movie shut down (that he hasn't done already)
Foxhack
350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
* 8-Aug(#36)
Or they could just release Batgirl like they should have been doing from the start instead of keeping a movie with a lead actor that has done way way way more to poison the movie brand than Zach Snyder and his braindead fans ever did.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 8-Aug(#37)
Why though?

image

I actually went out to find out how massively hyped this project was, how many people were looking forward to watching it, and after dodging all the stories with millions of views about how it was cancelled, this is all I found. less than a hundred thousand views across Youtube over six months leading up to its first cut. Out of all the hills to die on, this Batgirl hill seems the lamest to me. This is about on par with trying to defend Star Wars 8. You're telling me THIS was going to drive subs, this was the big one? Just fire anyone who had a job making anything other than animated DC films for the past ten years and get new bodies with fresh ideas. It sounds like that's pretty much exactly what's happening. Like, Batwoman's finale had a grand total of 445K viewers. Javicia Leslie got seriously shafted walking into this crapshow. Star over, man. This crap is all awful.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
8-Aug(#38)
DarkFact wrote:
>
>>
>
> Some people equate typing a lot to saying a lot. I didn't see a lot. You could
> have shortened it to "You don't know, I actually know, I should be in charge of WB"
>
> But you can keep scraping as many words together as you need to in order to try and
> convince me you know what's really happening, and it's sexist and racist. I encourage
> it. I'm nearly there.

Racist and sexist? That's not even what I was suggesting. It may be a part of it for sure, but if you actually read the super scary amount of words I typed like an adult taking part in a discussion, you'd know I had acknowledged at the very start that the dude in question has a history of shady dealings like the CNN+ deal.

Once again you miss the point because you're reactionary & need to find things to project in order to justify your OWN petty bullcrap. "The mean ol' libs are gonna claim this is sexism or racism so let me jump on that grenade right away!"

Move the fudge on.
Foxhack
350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
8-Aug(#39)
I've never brought up race or anything else, either. The CEO is just a complete moron who has no idea how to run a business.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 8-Aug(#40)
DarkFact wrote:
> Why though?
>
> 1142 223{imgt}
>
> I actually went out to find out how massively hyped this project was, how many people
> were looking forward to watching it, and after dodging all the stories with millions
> of views about how it was cancelled, this is all I found. less than a hundred thousand
> views across Youtube over six months leading up to its first cut. Out of all the
> hills to die on, this Batgirl hill seems the lamest to me. This is about on par
> with trying to defend Star Wars 8. You're telling me THIS was going to drive subs,
> this was the big one? Just fire anyone who had a job making anything other than
> animated DC films for the past ten years and get new bodies with fresh ideas. It
> sounds like that's pretty much exactly what's happening. Like, Batwoman's finale
> had a grand total of 445K viewers. Javicia Leslie got seriously shafted walking
> into this crapshow. Star over, man. This crap is all awful.

Lol whoa, under a hundred thousand views on a FAN MADE, FAKE TRAILER made up of random shots from other movies!? Damn, you're totally right after all. That official WB YouTube channel "Im Just Fan" should have done more for those views!

You're becoming a parody dude. You don't read the discussion you actively participate in and therefore miss entire points, and you get fooled by fan trailers (assuming you at least bothered to click the link). Trying far too hard to justify a crapty take that you openly admit (and continuously prove) to not actually knowing anything about. Shouldn't be surprised at this point tbh.
Best1989
Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Peru
8-Aug(#41)
What surprises me is how they just discard the movie after investing all that money. If it just had a month into preproduction/filming, maybe I could understand. But this just seems like a massive loss, no matter if the movie is bad or good.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 9-Aug(#42)
theJaw wrote:
> DarkFact wrote:
>> Why though?
>>
>> 1142 223{imgt}
>>
>> I actually went out to find out how massively hyped this project was, how many
> people
>> were looking forward to watching it, and after dodging all the stories with millions
>> of views about how it was cancelled, this is all I found. less than a hundred
> thousand
>> views across Youtube over six months leading up to its first cut. Out of all
> the
>> hills to die on, this Batgirl hill seems the lamest to me. This is about on par
>> with trying to defend Star Wars 8. You're telling me THIS was going to drive
> subs,
>> this was the big one? Just fire anyone who had a job making anything other than
>> animated DC films for the past ten years and get new bodies with fresh ideas.
> It
>> sounds like that's pretty much exactly what's happening. Like, Batwoman's finale
>> had a grand total of 445K viewers. Javicia Leslie got seriously shafted walking
>> into this crapshow. Star over, man. This crap is all awful.
>
> Lol whoa, under a hundred thousand views on a FAN MADE, FAKE TRAILER made up of random
> shots from other movies!? Damn, you're totally right after all. That official WB
> YouTube channel "Im Just Fan" should have done more for those views!
>
> You're becoming a parody dude. You don't read the discussion you actively participate
> in and therefore miss entire points, and you get fooled by fan trailers (assuming
> you at least bothered to click the link). Trying far too hard to justify a crapty
> take that you openly admit (and continuously prove) to not actually knowing anything
> about. Shouldn't be surprised at this point tbh.

IIt's literally the closest thing to a trailer even out on the Internet, I'm not sure what you wanted me to use to gauge interest in a budding project. You would THINK people actually thirsty to watch something like this would be looking for them anyways, right? I would imagine most of those views actually came in AFTER cancellation. What's your barometer? Why do you think this a massively popular project, exactly? Nobody was talking about it, I don't think most people even knew it existed, and it was axed at the tail end of production. It happens. It doesn't "deserve" to be released more than anything else that was cut down before it launched, which is why I'm confused at the generally baseless brigading for its release.

I get all your points, but at best they're guesses, not facts, just like I'm GUESSING when they shelved the project it was because they would make more money than releasing it, which is literally all I've been saying the entire time (and also my opinion that it was probably really bad, and that opinion seems to be supported by evidence), but you insist that's not the case, and that WB's just being spiteful to be spiteful now that the guy making calls is making calls you don't like. This doesn't track in my opinion, executives want to minimize loss and risk. And I don't need to read you saying the exact same crap twelve times to suddenly agree with you, I don't, and I still don't, and I still think it's hilarious that you're brigading for what was very clearly and demonstrably a crap project that was quickly eclipsing box office investment for streaming service returns. I read everything you said and I still think there's a good chance you're wrong, which you don't agree with, there. I said it, I read what you typed, you monster. Are you happy now? You're still wrong. raspberry

Don't dodge, by the way, your second thesis was literally that this ALWAYS happens to projects with female minority leads (baselessly), so of course I commented on it. ANYWAYS, for the third time, I'm disengaging. Please, get the Batgirl released, I'm rooting for you.
Best1989
Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Peru
9-Aug(#43)
At this point they should release it, just for the memes.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 9-Aug(#44)
@DarkFact It's fun that you openly admit to having only now read my posts when lots of your argument yesterday relied on what I wrote. You legit told me that you "didn't see a lot" when reading my posts, but are now insinuating that you hadn't even read them until after the fact. Tell me why anybody should take what you say seriously with that in mind? If it boils down to "I don't like you so I knew your posts sucked!" then take a bow my man.

If you haven't "disengaged for the third time", the rest of what I have to say is in spoilers to save the thread's precious real estate. WARNING: HEAVY USE OF PARAGRAPHS, OUR LANGUAGE'S MOST COMMON WAY TO ORGANIZE SENTENCES. Be careful!

Anyhow, no bud, you're wrong. Like, aggressively so. You don't know what you're talking about. I do. It's simple. I pay attention to this stuff. You admittedly do not. This is not an insult, this is the reality we're faced with. What I'm saying is not a guess. It is straight up fact that the dude has a shady history in how he deals with this sort of crap. People who have worked with him or within the same business have confirmed this. I'm aggregating allllllllllll the information and news and conversations surrounding this situation to form an educated opinion. YOU'RE guessing. That's the difference. For some reason, you seem to think that nobody could POSSIBLY know more than you about something even when you openly admit to not understanding the situation. That's more than a little narcissistic but, then again, it's you after all.

That fake trailer that fooled you is not a barometer just because you got fooled. The world doesn't revolve around you or what dupes you (especially if what dupes you is the most obvious fan trailer maybe ever). It doesn't matter if it's the "closest thing" to a trailer if it's not the fudging trailer lol. If I drew a Batgirl picture, posted a video of it to YouTube and labelled it "trailer", would that also be a good barometer for you? MY barometer, since you asked, is having actually kept up with the production of the film since it was announced. Pretty wild, huh? To have an actual basis for what one is talking about? To gauge interest of a movie based on the views of a fake trailer just proves that you're desperately reaching for literally anything that helps you downplay the movie to your point, and convince yourself you're right about nobody caring when you're simply not. It is VERY easy to find other articles on it like promotional images and cast updates. Fudging Michael Keaton was RETURNING TO POSSIBLY THE MOST ICONIC SUPERHERO ROLE OF ALL TIME... but yeah, nobody cared solely because you don't. Got it!

It is wildly clear that your attempts at suggesting nobody cares about this movie only came post-merger as a gut-wrench response to what you consider "outrage". If you didn't care, that's fine, but stop making crap up to be "right" on the internet.

All that said, even if NOBODY cared about the movie, that is about 400 miles away from the actual point that you MUST be trying to miss now. The point being that WB already spent $90 million on a movie. A new guy took over, who is now being accused of attempting to burn down a(nother) service he acquired due to several factors involving MUCH MORE than just the Batgirl movie. He then canned this movie while pulling several other projects, and claimed it was for a tax write off that likely wouldn't save as much as being suggested by the studio. Your undying loyalty to corporations is truly commendable, but it's misplaced considering you don't even understand why folks are talking about this. I reiterate: it's not about the quality of the movie, or the hype surrounding it. It literally never was. It's about acknowledging a crapty executive doing a crapty job which will likely result in people losing their jobs after putting their effort into creating and establishing a very successful streaming platform (among other things). As a staunch defender of all things corporate, I'm struggling to understand why YOU'RE not more critical of this practice.

Again, your "opinion" that it was probably bad is not supported by evidence, it's supported by what the studio itself has told you and what you choose to lick off their boots. The EVIDENCE is that it tested the EXACT SAME as a movie they're rolling out the big bucks for and releasing, which would suggest it is at the very LEAST not of the quality that it NEEDS to be canned. Especially considering it would have cost pennies, relatively-speaking, to release this already complete film to their home grown streaming service.

Regarding my remarks on female minority leads, you admit that you DIDN'T EVEN READ WHAT I WROTE, so whining NOW about my remarks regarding female minority leads is irrelevant considering you must have assumed ALL of that crap all on your own, without having even read my argument. My entire thesis was that the executive in question is not good at his job. YOU started in with the usual reactionary defense of rich white males without having been prompted by anybody to do so and I responded in turn. And yes, again, if you actually paid attention to the industry you're arguing about for more than the amount of time you feel like arguing about it, you'd know that several minority or female-lead films have historically had a far more difficult time getting made, especially in lieu of movies starring The fudging Rock. You saying this suggestion is "baseless" is in of itself baseless.

Took me a sincere 6 minutes to initially type this post, I hope my outrage wasn't too out of control.



DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
9-Aug(#45)
Best1989 wrote:
> At this point they should release it, just for the memes.

I haven't even seen any good memes on this either, otherwise I'd be down too. I paid six bucks for Morbius off Redbox, I'm willing to shell out from curiosity, but I ain't gonna spin a smells-looks-tastes-like-a-turd into a mound of gold
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
9-Aug(#46)
I'm sure it'll get released eventually, in some form. Wouldn't be surprised if it got leaked, Deadpool footage style.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
9-Aug(#47)
Order of operations is a bit off, that'd be more like a reverse Deadpool :p
Best1989
Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Peru
9-Aug(#48)
Yeah, I would guess something at that state of completeness should surface at some point.

--

Six bucks for all that morbin' time is a great deal if you ask me. I watched it at the theater, and we all had to do a standing ovation when it finished. Leto's method acting really paid off on this one.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 9-Aug(#49)
I still have yet to lay eyes on that one. May do it just for the lulz
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 9-Aug(#50)
Best1989 wrote:
> Yeah, I would guess something at that state of completeness should surface at some
> point.
>
> --
>
> Six bucks for all that morbin' time is a great deal if you ask me. I watched it at
> the theater, and we all had to do a standing ovation when it finished. Leto's method
> acting really paid off on this one.

I'm not gonna say I felt like I wasted six bucks, but I would have been devastated if I paid $15 plus $7 for soda to watch it. I'm a Matt Smith Who fan but I've definitely seen better episodes
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
9-Aug(#51)
Nothing beats Day of the Doctor, sry
Best1989
Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Peru
9-Aug(#52)
DarkFact wrote:
> Best1989 wrote:
>> Yeah, I would guess something at that state of completeness should surface at
> some
>> point.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Six bucks for all that morbin' time is a great deal if you ask me. I watched it
> at
>> the theater, and we all had to do a standing ovation when it finished. Leto's
> method
>> acting really paid off on this one.
>
> I'm not gonna say I felt like I wasted six bucks, but I would have been devastated
> if I paid $15 plus $7 for soda to watch it. I'm a Matt Smith Who fan but I've definitely
> seen better episodes

It's a bit cheaper here, factoring in loyalty membership and all that. I think I spend around $12 for 2 people, including sodas and popcorn. The gf likes vampires too, so at least she was amused lol

But yeah, $22 (or $44!) would be better spent on a gofundme campaign to #releasethebatgirl.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
9-Aug(#53)
Release the crap cut
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 9-Aug(#54)
Release the #realisticallycan'tbejudgedwithouthavingseenitbutthatsnoteventhepoint cut

It"s sorta weird, borderline obsessive, that somebody would put forth such energy to suggest a movie was trash, blatantly without ANY previous knowledge of said movie, solely because people have acknowledged the crapty decisions made by a studio executive. If one didn't care about the movie in question before now, why would they suddenly become so passionately negative in their judgement toward it when they, themselves, haven't seen it? Especially when half of their existing argument is reliant on the concept that folks who haven't seen said movie shouldn't criticize the decision to cancel it for no reason?

DarkFact wrote:
> For a movie you've never seen. This is actually
> nuts to me

@DarkFact, why is it nuts to criticize WB's decision, but not nuts to consistently bash Batgirl as being an awful movie when you have no idea one way or the other? I mean, neither of us have seen the movie, so why is it so wild that I called out a studio exec for his several crapty business decisions but not wild that you're dwelling on how bad a movie you haven't seen is? Sorta seems like you're a-ok with the discourse as long as it aligns with what you choose to believe, and anything else is "nuts". Very weird.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 9-Aug(#55)
Because it tested poorly? And most DC projects since MCU took off have been dogcrap and I suspect this is more of the same? Why assume it's good? There's mountains of precedence that it's actually crap. Just like you assume certain things about a movie are why it got cancelled above and beyond monetary reasonings, I suspect people waving the Batgirl flag have similar nonsensical reasonings for championing a dismissed project that would have otherwise been observed as a "ha, that's funny/oh interesting" observation for a minute and then forgotten.

But like I've been insinuating, here we have random people defending a corporate product as if its cancellation was an attack on them. Thus, fanaticism. Fans. Not a term of endearment. I may be cringe for assuming it's crap, but I feel comfortable knowing I'm not cringe like THAT. When was the last good DC live action production...

I'm struggling to even think beyond like, TDK. I haven't seen Doom Patrol, Preacher or Sandman. Those might be okay, I'm still assuming awful until proven otherwise, because DC needs to earn my trust. And I trust if even THEY thought something was crapty enough to not dump more money into it as they have in the past, it may be more trouble than it's worth, because they've released some DREADFUL CRAP to bomb in obscurity in the past. That's my take, like, it's gotta be VERY BAD, or DC's gotta be going VERY HOG on "cancel absolutely everything, start over", in either case I'm hopeful stuff gets more care and has people actively interested in telling good stories in the coming years. Which frankly I find to be a good attitude; I'm advocating for YOU, to not have to sit through brainless semantical nonsense, to get memorable good content, instead of the same gruel that started this whole "shut it all down" kick in the first place. That's not something a healthy shop does. That's desperation mode, or "salvage what you can, burn the rest" mode.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 9-Aug(#56)
Again, this isn't just about Batgirl. YOU'RE focusing solely on that while refusing to acknowledge the SEVERAL decisions this dude is making. You clearly just want to crap on something you view as "fanatics" acting "outraged" while applying a manufactured "sexist/racist" lens, still illustrating you don't know what people are mad about. Nobody is attacking WB because they feel personally slighted and my entire argument isn't based off whether Batgirl is good or not. I don't know how many times I need to state that before you actually read it. Again, you are projecting this crap. People are simply acknowledging real silly decisions being made by a historical dickhead. You're caught up on one aspect because you need to rally against "social justice" or "wokeness" or what have you.

You're very passionate about JUST Batgirl, yet don't lambast WB for following through with Shazam 2 or Black Adam despite the same test screen ratings. They're all in their 60s.

https://www.xfire.com/batgirl-black-adam-same-test...

Releasing Batgirl to HBO Max at this point would be PEANUTS compared to the other two theatrical releases. Why not start dogging this executive for planning to release similarly rated movies, which will cost.... you know, WAY more? After all, you're very hung up on the integrity of the storytelling as of your last post.

Regardless of all that, you literally tried to downplay MY opinion based solely off the idea that I was defending a movie I've never seen. Folks shouldn't take my argument seriously because I haven't seen it, right? With all this information, why the heck is YOUR opinion on the movie you're obsessed with more valid than anyone else's, having not seen it?



theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
9-Aug(#57)
DarkFact wrote:
> like, it's gotta be VERY BAD, or DC's
> gotta be going VERY HOG on "cancel absolutely everything, start over", in either
> case I'm hopeful stuff gets more care and has people actively interested in telling
> good stories in the coming years.

Or, get this, the brand new executive in charge just made a rash decision to tank HBO Max the same way he did CNN+!

This ENTIRE SITUATION isn't about the quality of DC movies lol, how are you STILL failing to understand this?
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 9-Aug(#58)
DarkFact wrote:
> Because it tested poorly? And most DC projects since MCU took off have been dogcrap
> and I suspect this is more of the same? Why assume it's good? There's mountains
> of precedence that it's actually crap. Just like you assume certain things about
> a movie are why it got cancelled above and beyond monetary reasonings, I suspect
> people waving the Batgirl flag have similar nonsensical reasonings for championing
> a dismissed project that would have otherwise been observed as a "ha, that's funny/oh
> interesting" observation for a minute and then forgotten.
>
> But like I've been insinuating, here we have random people defending a corporate
> product as if its cancellation was an attack on them. Thus, fanaticism. Fans.
> Not a term of endearment. I may be cringe for assuming it's crap, but I feel comfortable
> knowing I'm not cringe like THAT. When was the last good DC live action production...
>
>
> I'm struggling to even think beyond like, TDK. I haven't seen Doom Patrol, Preacher
> or Sandman. Those might be okay, I'm still assuming awful until proven otherwise,
> because DC needs to earn my trust. And I trust if even THEY thought something was
> crapty enough to not dump more money into it as they have in the past, it may be
> more trouble than it's worth, because they've released some DREADFUL CRAP to bomb
> in obscurity in the past. That's my take, like, it's gotta be VERY BAD, or DC's
> gotta be going VERY HOG on "cancel absolutely everything, start over", in either
> case I'm hopeful stuff gets more care and has people actively interested in telling
> good stories in the coming years. Which frankly I find to be a good attitude; I'm
> advocating for YOU, to not have to sit through brainless semantical nonsense, to
> get memorable good content, instead of the same gruel that started this whole "shut
> it all down" kick in the first place. That's not something a healthy shop does.
> That's desperation mode, or "salvage what you can, burn the rest" mode.

theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 9-Aug(#59)
Actually read my previous post so you can understand why highlighting that specific line of your previous post doesn't work.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 9-Aug(#60)
You're literally asking questions I answered, and your best defense is "whatabout" and "it's not just about Batgirl". We're done here I think. Let them do what they want. It literally doesn't matter. Care less please.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 9-Aug(#61)
DarkFact wrote:
> You're literally asking questions I answered, and your best defense is "whatabout"
> and "it's not just about Batgirl". We're done here I think. Let them do what they
> want. It literally doesn't matter. Care less please.

lol no thanks, I'm probably just going to continue acknowledging how hard you're trying to side-step how wrong you are here considering you keep doubling down.

I'm not asking questions you've answered considering you haven't answered a literal thing with any logical response. You keep crapting on Batgirl when referring to this WB situation... scroll through this entire thread haha. You've not ONCE tackled the actual issue, you just keep pooping on Batgirl as if Batigirl is the last stop on this WB bullcrap tour.

It "literally doesn't matter" to you but some folks are BIG into seeing employees who worked on a project getting to see it through (whether that be Batgirl, the HBO Max service itself, or any other position in WB) so that they keep their jobs and aren't fudgeed over by a clueless exec. You not understanding what you're vehemently arguing against doesn't change any of that.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
9-Aug(#62)
theJaw wrote:
> DarkFact wrote:
>> You're literally asking questions I answered, and your best defense is "whatabout"
>> and "it's not just about Batgirl". We're done here I think. Let them do what
> they
>> want. It literally doesn't matter. Care less please.
>
> lol no thanks, I'm probably just going to continue acknowledging how hard you're
> trying to side-step how wrong you are here considering you keep doubling down.
>

"You're whistlin' in the wind."
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 9-Aug(#63)
I'm just whistlin', brother.
Archer
GameTZ Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review This user is on the site NOW (51 seconds ago)
9-Aug(#64)
Jesus H Christ.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
9-Aug(#65)
His middle initial is F gawshdarnit.
Tony
Double Gold Good Trader
9-Aug(#66)
So far no one is discussing that almost all current DC TV projects are being shut down. On TV, Supergirl, Legends, Batwoman, and Flash (which will have a shortened season in 2022) have all been cancelled. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stargirl get a short ending season this year as well. Superman and Lois is the only TV series they seem to have any confidence in, and last season they confirmed it was not part of the "Arrowverse". I've seen several articles about new DC projects (e.g. John Diggle as Green Lantern and Mia Queen as Green Arrow) being proposed, but none have made it to production.

One gets the feeling they want to scrap it all and begin at square one again.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 9-Aug(#67)
theJaw wrote:
> lol no thanks, I'm probably just going to continue acknowledging how hard you're
> trying to side-step how wrong you are here considering you keep doubling down.

Alright, I'll bite. How am I wrong? What am I "wrong" about here? You seem to have turned this into some sort of right/wrong battle, I'd like to know what I'm "wrong" about. The reasons all the crap projects got cancelled? I never claimed to be right, but I'm not pretending I know. You're very opinionated and enjoy pushing back on anyone who doesn't happen to align with your stance (just me), but I'd like to think I was trying to have a discussion about possibilities, not win or "be right". I'm willing to admit you may be correct, are you seriously going to sit there with your arms folded and continue to tell me I'm just wrong? It's confident, I'll give you that. Like, I just tried to answer your question honestly about why I'm not nuts (or don't think I'm nuts) for thinking Batgirl's probably really bad, and your comeback was "It's not just about Batgirl" and you just went off again, and told me I wasn't reading. Okay? How do I get out of this train, say "I'm sorry, you're right" and just walk away? I can't even address anything you're asking me, because I was wrong before I hit post, you already had two paragraphs ready for me, even if they weren't applicable.

If I misrepresented why you're upset or what you're upset about, I'm sorry. On the other hand, this is a really dumb thing to get upset over, which is why it seems so silly to me. I guess your greatest flaw is you simply care too much.

Anyways, for the fifth time, every time I think I'm out, they pull me back in, etc. For the record, I agree, it's not just about Batgirl. But that was the subject of discussion. So.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 9-Aug(#68)
DarkFact wrote:
>>You're still wrong

LOOK, I SAID IT BUT LIKE, IT WAS A JOKE, reference the emoji with the tongue out!
Anxiouz
900 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
* 9-Aug(#69)
I didn't read all of the posts above but re: the Batgirl movie thing. It sounds like it was far enough along that just finishing the visual effects to try to recoop costs would have been a smart move. I don't know that I see the decision not to proceed as sexist or anything other than trying to curb spending. DC properties don't really have great track records....the Flash hitting the 8th or 9th season is super surprising to me. I watched that for many, many seasons with my son and we enjoyed a decent amount of it, but then we both lost interest (several seasons ago). I saw some folks furious at the cancellation but who is watching at this point?

I've worked for companies that invested multiple million dollars on software dev costs but then just pulled the plug after 1-2 years when it was clear that it wasn't going to be worth pumping more money into. Company mergers make this worse.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 9-Aug(#70)
DarkFact wrote:
> theJaw wrote:
>
> You seem to
> have turned this into some sort of right/wrong battle, I'd like to know what I'm
> "wrong" about.

Alrighty, after this one, I'm done. You legit called me "wrong" or "not right" multiple times. Again, scroll up. Read your literal own posts. See below. Your entire stance was based off me being "not right" or "not knowing" what you WANT to believe I don't know. I've since offered quite a bit of information regarding this story to help you understand my opinion on this WB executive and the situation he's gotten his business into. You simply refuse that and continue saying nonsensical crap about Batgirl because you think your sorta witty jabs make you come off superior in an internet conversation. You'e not superior, and you are wrong. Your shtick is tiring at this point, and you've far proven that you THINK this backlash is all about one thing and have completely missed (or have avoided the fact that) it's about something else entirely. But keep pretending you have any idea whether or not Batgirl is a good movie, or whether or not you'd even be capable of a subjective opinion after all your salty whining.

DarkFact wrote:
> DarkFact wrote:
> |>>You're still wrong
>
> LOOK, I SAID IT BUT LIKE, IT WAS A JOKE, reference the emoji with the tongue out!

You acknowledging this does not negate it happening lol. You didn't say this as a joke. Anyone reading this thread knows this already, whether they'll admit it or not, and I'm not entirely sure why you're still here trying to convince yourself. Own up to your insinuations if you're going to make them or just take a seat already.

You're wrong because your approach to the conversation isn't genuine. You've projected what you thought I was talking about onto what I was actually talking about numerous times, and continued to do that toward the entire situation after being challenged about it. You consistently let what you mistakenly thought my (and maybe other folks') point was by immediately honing in on, and staying focused on, Batgirl because that's at the forefront of every discussion regarding this situation. (I mean it is, you know, a near complete $90 million movie that a studio just randomly decided to scrap despite.... well, you've surely read the thread by now). You've then continued to just harp on that ONE element as if I, or anybody else discussing this situation, are actually JUST criticizing the Batgirl decision, or whether it's good, or whether it tested well, or whether it was cancelled over your own projected political biases... SOLELY because you can't (or choose not to) understand that the backlash is due to an executive being called out for his awful track record and a decidedly terrible decision that MOST (outside of GTZ) believe will likely be more detrimental to WB's financials and reputation than not.

When the majority of folks in the know think a dude is completely full of crap, they question his decisions when they don't make sense. I'm not surprised you wouldn't do such a thing, but still find it to be goon behavior that you'd just straight up make excuses. Par the course.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 9-Aug(#71)
Anxiouz wrote:
> I don't know that I see the decision not
> to proceed as sexist or anything other than trying to curb spending.

I feel you. Nobody was suggesting it was over sexism, don't let that cloud the conversation. As several folks within the industry have acknowledged over the past few days, the general consensus is that this dude is doing something similar to what he did with CNN+, which would be lowering HBO Max's appeal in order to phase the service out in lieu of a service he's more in control of. HBO proper is likely safe but this overall decision strips HBO Max of buzzworthy properties, exclusive movie releases and the 45-day post-theater streaming release dates. Pretty much setting the service up to fail. Friggin hope that doesn't end up the case.

> I've worked for companies that invested multiple million dollars on software dev
> costs but then just pulled the plug after 1-2 years when it was clear that it wasn't
> going to be worth pumping more money into. Company mergers make this worse.

Yep, AOL/Time Warner is a good example. Lots of crap went bewb-side up when that merger took place and I count myself among the folks who would rather not see the same fallout carry through with certain elements of this new scenario. Hoping the best for the folks actually ingrained in this situation.

But mostly just friggin hope the decision for HBO Max to get axed is reversed. I need my Deadwood and Carnivale.

Tony wrote:
> So far no one is discussing that almost all current DC TV projects are being shut
> down. On TV, Supergirl, Legends, Batwoman, and Flash (which will have a shortened
> season in 2022) have all been cancelled. I wouldn't be surprised to see Stargirl
> get a short ending season this year as well. Superman and Lois is the only TV series
> they seem to have any confidence in, and last season they confirmed it was not part
> of the "Arrowverse". I've seen several articles about new DC projects (e.g. John
> Diggle as Green Lantern and Mia Queen as Green Arrow) being proposed, but none have
> made it to production.
>
> One gets the feeling they want to scrap it all and begin at square one again.

I mentioned the possibility of Peacemaker biting the dust a while back before the thread got goofy. It's a strong possibility it disappears with this new dude pulling focus off streaming. If we don't get Peacemaker Season 2, I'm going to be decently upset.

It's a shame about the other CW shows too. Flash was great and is MY live action version, Ezra Miller be damned. And Superman & Lois is pretty great, still have to finish the second season. I hope that one's safe due to the "big name" Superman carries.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 10-Aug(#72)
theJaw wrote:
> DarkFact wrote:
>> theJaw wrote:
>>
>> You seem to
>> have turned this into some sort of right/wrong battle, I'd like to know what I'm
>> "wrong" about.
>
> Alrighty, after this one, I'm done. You legit called me "wrong" or "not right" multiple
> times. Again, scroll up. Read your literal own posts. See below. Your entire stance
> was based off me being "not right" or "not knowing" what you WANT to believe I don't
> know. I've since offered quite a bit of information regarding this story to help
> you understand my opinion on this WB executive and the situation he's gotten his
> business into. You simply refuse that and continue saying nonsensical crap about
> Batgirl because you think your sorta witty jabs make you come off superior in an
> internet conversation. You'e not superior, and you are wrong. Your shtick is tiring
> at this point, and you've far proven that you THINK this backlash is all about one
> thing and have completely missed (or have avoided the fact that) it's about something
> else entirely. But keep pretending you have any idea whether or not Batgirl is a
> good movie, or whether or not you'd even be capable of a subjective opinion after
> all your salty whining.
>
> DarkFact wrote:
>> DarkFact wrote:
>> |>>You're still wrong
>>
>> LOOK, I SAID IT BUT LIKE, IT WAS A JOKE, reference the emoji with the tongue out!
>
> You acknowledging this does not negate it happening lol. You didn't say this as a
> joke. Anyone reading this thread knows this already, whether they'll admit it or
> not, and I'm not entirely sure why you're still here trying to convince yourself.
> Own up to your insinuations if you're going to make them or just take a seat already.
>
>
> You're wrong because your approach to the conversation isn't genuine. You've projected
> what you thought I was talking about onto what I was actually talking about numerous
> times, and continued to do that toward the entire situation after being challenged
> about it. You consistently let what you mistakenly thought my (and maybe other folks')
> point was by immediately honing in on, and staying focused on, Batgirl because that's
> at the forefront of every discussion regarding this situation. (I mean it is, you
> know, a near complete $90 million movie that a studio just randomly decided to scrap
> despite.... well, you've surely read the thread by now). You've then continued to
> just harp on that ONE element as if I, or anybody else discussing this situation,
> are actually JUST criticizing the Batgirl decision, or whether it's good, or whether
> it tested well, or whether it was cancelled over your own projected political biases...
> SOLELY because you can't (or choose not to) understand that the backlash is due to
> an executive being called out for his awful track record and a decidedly terrible
> decision that MOST (outside of GTZ) believe will likely be more detrimental to WB's
> financials and reputation than not.
>
> When the majority of folks in the know think a dude is completely full of crap, they
> question his decisions when they don't make sense. I'm not surprised you wouldn't
> do such a thing, but still find it to be goon behavior that you'd just straight up
> make excuses. Par the course.
>

You're wrong

100% as based in fact as me being wrong. Now we're wrong together, bro. High five

Also you're wrong about me saying you were wrong; I said there was a good chance you were wrong once, and in the same post I said you were wrong in a mocking tone at the end. I read my own posts. So enjoy being wrong again. And if I'm wrong about discussing something you don't want to discuss about this particular topic because it doesn't fit your narrative, then baby, I'm cool with it. Wrong for life.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
10-Aug(#73)
Lol gosh darn you're insufferable
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 10-Aug(#74)
Makes two of us. But hey, to toot my own horn, we did shoot a dog into space, so anything is possible. Maybe I'm right!
DrizzDrizzDrizz
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Croatia
10-Aug(#75)
maybe you're both wrong
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
10-Aug(#76)
audible gasp
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 10-Aug(#77)
One of us is discussing what's actually happening. The other thinks the entire situation revolves around woke culture trying to save Batgirl specifically. One of us is wrong, or has at the very least deeply misinterpreted the topic at hand, but it's not worth dragging on further. The dude is just trying to be antagonistic at this point.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 10-Aug(#78)
I didn't say thaaaaat. I was just talking about Batgirl, you make a better lead wall than a victim
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
10-Aug(#79)
lol got me
Finn
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Canada
10-Aug(#80)
I just don't agree initial screening results matter that much in this case. WB's taking a gamble on the Rock's draw and right now I would say that alone is a safe bet! This movie will at least recoup some money. What draw does Bat Girl have? Who would subscribe to a streaming service for it? I sure as hell would not. There would be other reasons to subscribe none of which have anything to do with Bat Girl, so other than letting the extreme few that want to see it, what's the point? I am looking at this from a business prospective. They screen tested about the same and it was not good, Bat Girl could be bad and could very well hurt the brand... But Black Adam has the Rock and that alone is enough to possibly push it through simply because it's going to have more mass appeal. The Rock has a MASSIVE following and people will watch it despite the content. I see this movie breaking even at worst. Bat Girl, has no hope in hell of bringing in enough sub's to recoup it's budget... financially it may make more sense to write it off then release it.

That aside, the guy running the show does seem to be unhinged and going full on wrecking ball. I also hope Peace Maker is safe... I am not a fan of the DCU for the most part but the last Suicide Squad, Joker, The Batman and Peacemaker are beginning to give me hope.



Topic   We need to talk about the HBO Max & Discovery+ merger