General

Topic   Restore PS3 before selling ??

jays1fan
Gold Good Trader
* 20-Jan-2018(#1)
Should I restore the ps3 before selling? Says it will take about 14 hours? Or is there another method to erase my info?
Porksta
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Secret Santa
* 20-Jan-2018(#2)
That's what I do. Just set it before you go to bed and it will be done by the time you come home from work.

jays1fan
Gold Good Trader
20-Jan-2018(#3)
I did the format thing instead of complete restore. It only took a few minutes and it seems my info is gone. Will the complete restore change the updates too? Should I go ahead and do that too?
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 20-Jan-2018(#4)
It's safer to do a full restore/format, but it takes a crap load of time and there's still a chance someone with enough determination can get info off the hard drive. Quick format's basically enough to deter all casuals from lifting personal info and will largely be fine, especially if you know and trust who you're selling it to. If you're trading it into Gamestop they have to send it off to a center that goes through and probably does another full format anyways just to reduce the possible chance that they could be found liable for damages for not properly scrubbing some rich butt-hole's kids' system.
jays1fan
Gold Good Trader
20-Jan-2018(#5)
DiamondDave wrote:
> It's safer to do a full restore/format, but it takes a crap load of time and there's
> still a chance someone with enough determination can get info off the hard drive.
> Quick format's basically enough to deter all casuals from lifting personal info
> and will largely be fine, especially if you know and trust who you're selling it
> to. If you're trading it into Gamestop they have to send it off to a center that
> goes through and probably does another full format anyways just to reduce the possible
> chance that they could be found liable for damages for not properly scrubbing some
> rich butt-hole's kids' system.

wow, thats enough to scare me into keeping it lol. thanks for the info!!
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
20-Jan-2018(#6)
I mean, you could just drill a hole through the drive and be done with it. Only way to be sure. But yeah, short of multiple drive fills and installs over multiple years, people have shown the ability to get data from pretty much any drive that still mechanically functions.
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
23-Jan-2018(#7)
jays1fan wrote:
> DiamondDave wrote:
>> It's safer to do a full restore/format, but it takes a crap load of time and there's
>> still a chance someone with enough determination can get info off the hard drive.
>> Quick format's basically enough to deter all casuals from lifting personal info
>> and will largely be fine, especially if you know and trust who you're selling
> it
>> to. If you're trading it into Gamestop they have to send it off to a center that
>> goes through and probably does another full format anyways just to reduce the
> possible
>> chance that they could be found liable for damages for not properly scrubbing
> some
>> rich butt-hole's kids' system.
>
> wow, thats enough to scare me into keeping it lol. thanks for the info!!

The chance of somebody going through that much trouble to recover data from a PS3 hard drive has to be EXTREMELY minor.

tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
23-Jan-2018(#8)
what is the serial number ? I may be interested but looking for something 25xx or below for modding

Sun
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 5 Reviews
23-Jan-2018(#9)
tonymack21 wrote:
> what is the serial number ? I may be interested but looking for something 25xx or below for modding

I had a Slim that I had modded a while back with 3.55 CFW. I recently loaned it to my brother-in-law so they could have something to watch Blu-Rays with, but then he accidentally updated it to 4.82 OFW so he could watch Dunkirk, despite me turning off the internet connection setting. Thankfully 4.82 is exploitable via soft modding on the model I have. So I spent last night using a guide and was able to jailbreak my spare PS3 again.
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
23-Jan-2018(#10)
Scott wrote:
> The chance of somebody going through that much trouble to recover data from a PS3
> hard drive has to be EXTREMELY minor.
>

Nah, they're definitely gonna mine as much info about jays1fan as they possibly can. They want access to his Hulus, his Netflixes and his PSNs.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
23-Jan-2018(#11)
Sun wrote:
> tonymack21 wrote:
>> what is the serial number ? I may be interested but looking for something 25xx
> or below for modding
>
> I had a Slim that I had modded a while back with 3.55 CFW. I recently loaned it
> to my brother-in-law so they could have something to watch Blu-Rays with, but then
> he accidentally updated it to 4.82 OFW so he could watch Dunkirk, despite me turning
> off the internet connection setting. Thankfully 4.82 is exploitable via soft modding
> on the model I have. So I spent last night using a guide and was able to jailbreak
> my spare PS3 again.

ya I had heard you could mod 4.82 now but still only on 25xx serials and below?

jays1fan
Gold Good Trader
* 23-Jan-2018(#12)
tonymack21 wrote:
> what is the serial number ? I may be interested but looking for something 25xx or
> below for modding
>
>

AC31xxxxxx , btw its a 250gb super slim model if that helps.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
23-Jan-2018(#13)
jays1fan wrote:
> tonymack21 wrote:
>> what is the serial number ? I may be interested but looking for something 25xx
> or
>> below for modding
>>
>>
>
> AC31xxxxxx , btw its a 250gb super slim model if that helps.

Maybe too new for what I need.. when you get time no rush..can you shoot a pic of the serial label?


Topic   Restore PS3 before selling ??