Politics

Topic   NOT driving while black is a problem too

Osiris
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
* 6-Sep(#1)
Bennett said officers pointed guns at him "for doing nothing more than simply being a black man in the wrong place at the wrong time" and ordered him to lie down on the ground.

Michael Bennett is a formidable presence, fershure

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20604486/michae...
Shane12m
Triple Gold Good Trader
7-Sep(#2)
I mean, this story sure is being blown out of proportion. If the cops were told the man who was suspected of shooting was a tall or leave black man, they were just doing their job...

The media needs to chill out. just more fuel for the racist organization BLM
ninesalone
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
7-Sep(#3)
Shane12m wrote:
> I mean, this story sure is being blown out of proportion. If the cops were told
> the man who was suspected of shooting was a tall or leave black man, they were just
> doing their job...
>
> The media needs to chill out. just more fuel for the racist organization BLM

There is already evidence surfacing that he ran from police. That will get far less attention of course as the false narrative is already out there. The people who buy into this anti-police bullcrap prefer that mythical and divisive narrative over any objective facts that will come out.
Shane12m
Triple Gold Good Trader
7-Sep(#4)
ninesalone wrote:
> Shane12m wrote:
>> I mean, this story sure is being blown out of proportion. If the cops were told
>> the man who was suspected of shooting was a tall or leave black man, they were
> just
>> doing their job...
>>
>> The media needs to chill out. just more fuel for the racist organization BLM
>
> There is already evidence surfacing that he ran from police. That will get far
> less attention of course as the false narrative is already out there. The people
> who buy into this anti-police bullcrap prefer that mythical and divisive narrative
> over any objective facts that will come out.
>

Wasn't he running with a large crowd of people that were running because they heard the gunshot? at least what I heard, not really sure though what the reports say
Shane12m
Triple Gold Good Trader
7-Sep(#6)
ninesalone wrote:
> @Shane12m
>
> [imgt w=776 h=334]https://i.imgur.com/4pJLNFT.png[/imgt]
>
>

wow so ESPN (which is the worst now) is completely neglecting to mention this. Riace baiting as always
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 7-Sep(#7)
ninesalone wrote:
> Shane12m wrote:
>> I mean, this story sure is being blown out of proportion. If the cops were told
>> the man who was suspected of shooting was a tall or leave black man, they were
> just
>> doing their job...
>>
>> The media needs to chill out. just more fuel for the racist organization BLM
>
> There is already evidence surfacing that he ran from police.

He was running because he heard gunshots, and he was in a group that was running away and he was unlucky enough to be the one to get tackled. That sound like something you wanna wait around to figure out what's going on? You wanna think about standing around after hearing gunfire because you're afraid if a cop sees you running he's going to kill you? Which threat takes precedence?

Nobody deserves to be told that they're going to have their "fudging brains blown out" while being detained, for any reason. And I find it curious that the officer detaining him didn't have his camera on. Timing always seems weird on that sort of stuff. This isn't "anti-police bullcrap", this is yet another example of a power-tripping cop threatening to end someone's life for no reason. HE even said the "not all cops" thing when he was talking about a possible lawsuit, so you should KNOW at this point that he's doing what he should be doing, seeking justice in a case where at least one police officer was not doing their job properly. It is not normal for a police officer to end your life before any sort of due process has taken place. IT IS NOT NORMAL FOR A POLICE OFFICER TO END YOUR LIFE BEFORE ANY SORT OF DUE PROCESS HAS TAKEN PLACE. White, Black or otherwise. Repeat it until you agree with it.

His lawyer "released a statement on Wednesday saying that Bennett "was unarmed, sober and not involved in any altercations or dispute at the time the police officers arrested and threatened to use deadly force against him." Source was ESPN as opposed to TMZ, apologies if that's too mainstream. raspberry
Shane12m
Triple Gold Good Trader
7-Sep(#8)
DiamondDave wrote:
> ninesalone wrote:
>> Shane12m wrote:
> |>> I mean, this story sure is being blown out of proportion. If the cops were told
> |>> the man who was suspected of shooting was a tall or leave black man, they were
>> just
> |>> doing their job...
> |>>
> |>> The media needs to chill out. just more fuel for the racist organization BLM
>
>>
>> There is already evidence surfacing that he ran from police.
>
> He was running because he heard gunshots, and he was in a group that was running
> away and he was unlucky enough to be the one to get tackled. That sound like something
> you wanna wait around to figure out what's going on? You wanna think about standing
> around after hearing gunfire because you're afraid if a cop sees you running he's
> going to kill you? Which threat takes precedence?
>
> Nobody deserves to be told that they're going to have their "fudging brains blown
> out" while being detained, for any reason. And I find it curious that the officer
> detaining him didn't have his camera on. Timing always seems weird on that sort
> of stuff. This isn't "anti-police bullcrap", this is yet another example of a power-tripping
> cop threatening to end someone's life for no reason. HE even said the "not all cops"
> thing when he was talking about a possible lawsuit, so you should KNOW at this point
> that he's doing what he should be doing, seeking justice in a case where at least
> one police officer was not doing their job properly. It is not normal for a police
> officer to end your life before any sort of due process has taken place. IT
> IS NOT NORMAL FOR A POLICE OFFICER TO END YOUR LIFE BEFORE ANY SORT OF DUE PROCESS
> HAS TAKEN PLACE. White, Black or otherwise. Repeat it until you agree with
> it.
>
> His lawyer "released a statement on Wednesday saying that Bennett "was unarmed, sober
> and not involved in any altercations or dispute at the time the police officers arrested
> and threatened to use deadly force against him." Source was ESPN as opposed to TMZ,
> apologies if that's too mainstream. raspberry

hmmm yeah so the police department made a statement and claimed that they came in told everyone to hold still and get down so they can investigate. He decides to hide, then run out and hide again.

if what they say is true then he sure as he'll should have been treated the way he was.

there are always two sides to every story and ESPN always makes snap judgements before getting all the information. Like most mainstream media.
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 7-Sep(#9)
If we pretend for a moment we live in a world where the Police never lied (or, HAH, turned off their body cameras!)...

Was what happened... appropriate?

Simple question.
Shane12m
Triple Gold Good Trader
7-Sep(#10)
DiamondDave wrote:
> If we pretend for a moment we live in a world where the Police never lied (or, HAH,
> turned off their body cameras!)...
>
> Was what happened... appropriate?
>
> Simple question.

oh good lord...lets not also act like police aren't treated like crap right now and if the media didn't always frame them so negatively against black people maybe black people wouldn't be so afraid of them.

yeah there are idiot cops, but I believe that most of them are good.

again, two sides. always two sides...
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
7-Sep(#11)
Shane12m wrote:
> DiamondDave wrote:
>> If we pretend for a moment we live in a world where the Police never lied (or,
> HAH,
>> turned off their body cameras!)...
>>
>> Was what happened... appropriate?
>>
>> Simple question.
>
> oh good lord...lets not also act like police aren't treated like crap right now and
> if the media didn't always frame them so negatively against black people maybe black
> people wouldn't be so afraid of them.
>
> yeah there are idiot cops, but I believe that most of them are good.
>
> again, two sides. always two sides...

Didn't even try to answer it. Mmkay. Guess it wasn't that simple.

I didn't say "all cops", and neither did the person who's pressing charges, he said the opposite in fact. He's acting on this specific case.
Shane12m
Triple Gold Good Trader
7-Sep(#12)
DiamondDave wrote:
> Shane12m wrote:
>> DiamondDave wrote:
> |>> If we pretend for a moment we live in a world where the Police never lied (or,
>> HAH,
> |>> turned off their body cameras!)...
> |>>
> |>> Was what happened... appropriate?
> |>>
> |>> Simple question.
>>
>> oh good lord...lets not also act like police aren't treated like crap right now
> and
>> if the media didn't always frame them so negatively against black people maybe
> black
>> people wouldn't be so afraid of them.
>>
>> yeah there are idiot cops, but I believe that most of them are good.
>>
>> again, two sides. always two sides...
>
> Didn't even try to answer it. Mmkay. Guess it wasn't that simple.
>
> I didn't say "all cops", and neither did the person who's pressing charges, he said
> the opposite in fact. He's acting on this specific case.

YES it was. If he hid, then ran and hit again when there was a suspected shooted, it was definitely appropriate. that is super sketchy to cops who don't want to get shot...
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 7-Sep(#13)
I'm laughing in real life. At you. I can't help it.

Okay! I literally got shivers reading someone thinking that his behavior was acceptable. This is the start of something special in police/citizen relations, I haven't been exposed to it before. Chilly!
Shane12m
Triple Gold Good Trader
7-Sep(#14)
DiamondDave wrote:
> I'm laughing in real life. At you. I can't help it.
>
> Okay! I literally got shivers reading someone thinking that his behavior was acceptable.
> This is the start of something special in police/citizen relations, I haven't been
> exposed to it before. Chilly!

haha okay buddy, get help then...

So you are saying if he hid then ran when there was an active shooter and they were told to hold still, you think the cops should take someone down and arrest them? Are you for real?
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
7-Sep(#15)
I love your theoreticals when we're talking about how a police officer, in reality, treated a citizen. And you're like, fudge yeah.

I can't do anything but judge, honestly. This is gross. Defending it is gross. That's all I have to say, I'm bowing out.
Shane12m
Triple Gold Good Trader
7-Sep(#16)
DiamondDave wrote:
> I love your theoreticals when we're talking about how a police officer, in reality,
> treated a citizen. And you're like, fudge yeah.
>
> I can't do anything but judge, honestly. This is gross. Defending it is gross.
> That's all I have to say, I'm bowing out.

you are a sick person man, get help
Shane12m
Triple Gold Good Trader
7-Sep(#17)
DiamondDave wrote:
> I love your theoreticals when we're talking about how a police officer, in reality,
> treated a citizen. And you're like, fudge yeah.
>
> I can't do anything but judge, honestly. This is gross. Defending it is gross.
> That's all I have to say, I'm bowing out.

I wasn't there, you weren't there. I'll believe the word of the police force over a football player any day
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
7-Sep(#18)
Shane12m wrote:
> DiamondDave wrote:
>> I love your theoreticals when we're talking about how a police officer, in reality,
>> treated a citizen. And you're like, fudge yeah.
>>
>> I can't do anything but judge, honestly. This is gross. Defending it is gross.
>> That's all I have to say, I'm bowing out.
>
> you are a sick person man, get help

With all due respect, man, I'm not the one with the police worship issue.
Shane12m
Triple Gold Good Trader
7-Sep(#19)
DiamondDave wrote:
> Shane12m wrote:
>> DiamondDave wrote:
> |>> I love your theoreticals when we're talking about how a police officer, in reality,
> |>> treated a citizen. And you're like, fudge yeah.
> |>>
> |>> I can't do anything but judge, honestly. This is gross. Defending it is gross.
> |>> That's all I have to say, I'm bowing out.
>>
>> you are a sick person man, get help
>
> With all due respect, man, I'm not the one with the police worship issue.

I'm actually not. I'm just a semi intelligent person with some common sense. I don't make snap judgements, I've learned that as I grew up.
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
7-Sep(#20)
You have admitted to making a snap judgement already. All I said was I don't think an officer holding a gun at someone's head and telling them that they're going to blow their brains out was appropriate. If that sort of thuggery appeals to you from an officer of Law, own it. Don't act intellectually superior.
Shane12m
Triple Gold Good Trader
* 7-Sep(#21)
DiamondDave wrote:
> You have admitted to making a snap judgement already. All I said was I don't think
> an officer holding a gun at someone's head and telling them that they're going to
> blow their brains out was appropriate. If that sort of thuggery appeals to you from
> an officer of Law, own it. Don't act intellectually superior.

That's the first I'm hearing of that happening
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 7-Sep(#22)
Shane12m wrote:
> That didn't happen...

> YES it was. If he hid, then ran and hit again when there was a suspected shooted,
> it was definitely appropriate. that is super sketchy to cops who don't want to get
> shot...

> I'll believe the word of the police force over a football player any day

Certainly did. If you're saying you didn't hear that the police officer said and did that, you should probably click on the links in the relevant discussion. This has been my argument. Did you think I was protesting a police officer simply detaining someone they considered a suspect? He wouldn't have a case.
Shane12m
Triple Gold Good Trader
7-Sep(#23)
DiamondDave wrote:
> Shane12m wrote:
>> That didn't happen...
>
>> YES it was. If he hid, then ran and hit again when there was a suspected shooted,
>> it was definitely appropriate. that is super sketchy to cops who don't want
> to get
>> shot...
>
>> I'll believe the word of the police force over a football player any day
>
> Certainly did. If you're saying you didn't hear that the police officer said and
> did that, you should probably click on the links in the relevant discussion. This
> has been my argument. Did you think I was protesting a police officer simply detaining
> someone they considered a suspect? He wouldn't have a case.

haha yep. I'll admit I didn't catch you saying that part at first when I responded. been multi tasking so my bad. If the cops did say that, I agree, that is messed up
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
7-Sep(#24)
You gave me a heart attack, man. We good. yes
Osiris
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
* 8-Sep(#25)
so setting aside the Bennett thing until more info, do people think that black folks, especially young men, don't have sufficient reason to be more fearful of police encounters than their white counterparts?

Also interested in white perceptions of BLM purpose.
Dustin
GameTZ Subscriber 650 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
8-Sep(#26)
I think that's a hard question for someone not in those shoes to answer. Me personally, I could obviously say "well if you just comply and don't be an butt-hole, then cops aren't going to mess with you" because that's been my experience and what I've seen. However, from what many other people say, that isn't always the case as many people seem to get hassled for no reason. I think in a lot of these public cases, the people getting killed aren't just innocent people. They're often doing things to cause concern of the police. However, in some cases they appear to be totally innocent which totally sucks. I don't think anyone should be hassled just because of what they look like.

As far as BLM, I think that some people have the right idea by saying what I just said, no one should be treated unfairly based on appearance. Obviously there are some people who take it way too far calling all cops pigs and all that crap. Also it's pretty convenient to ignore some truths, which isn't really right either. The whole "Hands Up Don't Shoot" thing is total bullcrap. Michael Brown was a punk thug who was absolutely in the wrong. The fact that even famous people were wearing shirts saying that crap just shows how jaded some people's views are.
Karaiya
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
* 8-Sep(#27)
Thanks for the thoughtful response @Dustin. Even if you haven't experienced it personally or your perspective maybe different I appreciate that you would say that yes, my experience is a different one but it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

I've experienced and seen the negative and harmful way black folks are treated by police. I also work with multi law enforcement agencies and I've heard the things they say. Many times they are quite racist. Some folks are just trying to do their jobs. There are good cops. However, Law Enforcement has historically had a problem with overpolicing and brutalizing not only black communities but poor communities as well.

What you've seen over and over is police officer given the ability to kill citizens with totally impunity. Literally getting away with murder whether it was malicious or "in the line of duty".

We've seen over and over again corruption in Baltimore. Police shooting over and over again and with in a prison industrial complex. Its not just the police but the entire justice system that targets the poor and black communities. We often want to look at each of these case by case and pick sides however, look at the entire law enforcement and prison system. That system doesn't treat black people pretty fairly and historically and FACTUALLY never has. Everyone knows this to be true and if you're denying it its a problem.

Again, @Dustin thanks for a reasonable response. That's how we can have a conversation.
Karaiya
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
8-Sep(#28)
Osiris wrote:
> so setting aside the Bennett thing until more info, do people think that black folks,
> especially young men, don't have sufficient reason to be more fearful of police encounters
> than their white counterparts?
>
> Also interested in white perceptions of BLM purpose.

To answer your question as a black person, yes. I've actually been stopped and frisked twice in my life. Once as a teen and the other only 12 years ago in Philadelphia. I'm not a criminal and outside of highschool have never committed a crime. I've had cops pull a gun on me as well.

However, I don't think white people should fear the police any less. The police have gone from serving and protecting which is what they are supposed to do to inflicting law and order. Philando Castille's murder and Officer Yanez's aquttical should have been a clear sign that our police can take your life and pretty much get away with it. Many of these cops get fired, but to black people like me, that isn't justice.

I get that we want to stand by people that put on a uniform and go and do a dangerous job. But one of the problems is that the war on drugs helps make that job so much more dangerous. We have an unsatisfiable prison system that needs to have beds filled for profit to line the pockets of corporate bastards. The victims of that fudgeed up system end up being immigrants, blacks, minorities, drug addicts, and impoverished white men and women.

I know folks look at BLM and believe the myths. However, MLK and other social justice groups went through the same crap. MLK was a hated by J. Edgar Hoover. Thought he was a communist. The freedom marchers were killed, beaten, had dogs sic'd on them and while those peaceful protest made progress they really only inched us forward. Those Jim Crow era laws just transformed into the modern prison system. To feed it people need to be arrested. I think if we can end the war on drugs and decriminalize marijuana and cocaine and to some extent, heroine we may move to less racial cases.

Until then we all need to know that we have a system of law and order and preys on black folks and poor people. Those poor people have also been working class or impoverished whites. Look at the number of police shootings and see how many of them are white folks. This isn't to take away from black folks. Per Capita more black people are killed by police or brutalized by them however, each and everyone of you can end up being a victim. Being white and compliant can likely make you safe. But we've had compliant black people killed to.



theyrhere
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 2 Reviews
8-Sep(#29)
I'll admit, even as left as I tend to be, there are some less obvious POC issues that arise where my initial reaction is WTF.

Then, I say to myself "POC are the authorities on this matter" and roll with it. Sometimes, my initial opinion gets the majority, and sometimes it's dead wrong. But it's not my place to form a rash opinion on some of the more fringe issues.

Osiris
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
9-Sep(#30)
I had to look up "POC" today, am out of the loop.
Shane12m
Triple Gold Good Trader
9-Sep(#31)
Osiris wrote:
> I had to look up "POC" today, am out of the loop.

just another term used to segregate everyone.
Karaiya
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
9-Sep(#32)
You say that as if people of color weren't already "segregated" societally.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews Secret Santa
9-Sep(#33)
I think the main lesson here is never trust ESPN til some fact checking is done. They are owned by disney/abc and are part of the msm and their job is to get ratings whether it's the whole truth or a convenient version.

Shane12m
Triple Gold Good Trader
9-Sep(#34)
Karaiya wrote:
> You say that as if people of color weren't already "segregated" societally.

So let's keep it up...
Karaiya
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
* 9-Sep(#35)
So lets keep up racism? Don't put it on people of color to fix the problems of systemic racism that they didn't create. People of color aren't trying to segregate themselves. They are trying to bring vision upon themselves in a society thats default is "white" and historically has marginalized them socially and economically.
Shane12m
Triple Gold Good Trader
9-Sep(#36)
Karaiya wrote:
> So lets keep up racism? Don't put it on people of color to fix the problems of systemic
> racism that they didn't create. People of color aren't trying to segregate themselves.
> They are trying to bring vision upon themselves in a society thats default is "white"
> and historically has marginalized them socially and economically.

I didn't say keep racism. And it's not just a problem of racism against black people. Racism is everywhere against all colors. ELE
Karaiya
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
* 9-Sep(#37)
Shane12m wrote:
> Karaiya wrote:
>> So lets keep up racism? Don't put it on people of color to fix the problems of
> systemic
>> racism that they didn't create. People of color aren't trying to segregate themselves.
>> They are trying to bring vision upon themselves in a society thats default is
> "white"
>> and historically has marginalized them socially and economically.
>
> I didn't say keep racism. And it's not just a problem of racism against black people.
> Racism is everywhere against all colors. ELE

I was being sarcastic in response to your comment not trying to put words into your mouth. I definitely agree with you racism is a problem for everyone. No one is trying to argue oppression olympics, but in this country indigenous people and black people have been treated pretty poorly. However, you are totally correct racism is a problem everywhere so we should quite arguing about it and address the problems listen, and stop acting as if these issues don't exist or that they'll just get better as time goes on.
Prime
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
9-Sep(#38)
You guys are idiots. Dude was at the fight. And ran from gunshots like everyone else. There are certain things that are blown out of proportion police profiling and being afraid of black people isn't one of them.
Karaiya
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
9-Sep(#39)
Did you guys read the story about the officer that told the white lady he pulled that was nervous not to worry "we only kill black people."?
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 9-Sep(#40)
Yeah, he got slapped for that.

I could see that as a "joke" but it was pretty tasteless, probably not something I'd say wearing my badge on the clock even if I thought it was actually funny.
Karaiya
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
10-Sep(#41)
It's all about the audience man.
theyrhere
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 2 Reviews
* 10-Sep(#42)
Personally, I think the joke could either be self aware or tasteless. Don't know enough about that particular cop to really say.
Osiris
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
10-Sep(#43)
Jonathan Capehart wrote about the basis of the Mike Brown "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" incident in 2015.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan...

"it is imperative that we continue marching for and giving voice to those killed in racially charged incidents at the hands of police and others. But we must never allow ourselves to march under the banner of a false narrative on behalf of someone who would otherwise offend our sense of right and wrong. And when we discover that we have, we must acknowledge it, admit our error and keep on marching."
Scots
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
11-Sep(#44)
I get tackled by the police all the time. Don't see me complaining about it.
SirConnery
GameTZ Subscriber 1000 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Secret Santa
14-Sep(#45)
I recall the words I heard in public middle school often: "You just don't know cause you just ain't black".

Topic   NOT driving while black is a problem too