Politics

Topic   The Silk Road - Drug legalization

King_link
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 7-Oct(#1)
Just watched an awesome doc about The Silk Road. As most of you probably already know, the Silk Road is/was like an online black market where you can buy "anything", mostly just any drug of your choice

Where do you fellow gtzers stand on drugs? Should they be fully legal or illegal? Regulated or non-regulated? Personal freedom or scourge of mankind?


The Silk Road Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qKxRYknsvg&t=3819...
ninesalone
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 7-Oct(#2)
My stance is that nobody should be criminally prosecuted for putting ANY substance into their own body. Addiction to drugs is a medical problem and should be treated as such.

Marijuana should be treated much the way alcohol is and is well on it's way. However, the legal age should return to 18. Can be drafted? You're a legal adult.

Am very open to a conversation about lowering the proliferation of harder drugs like meth and heroin and what that would look like without clogging up our prisons. I also don't see these transactions between two adults as something that should be criminally prosecuted.

I value personal freedom over any sense of security and believe the responsibly falls on the individual, their family and local community. The war on drugs is just another way government perverts and profits off of the societal problem addiction is.

Great topic and curious to see others weigh in on this. yes
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews
* 7-Oct(#3)
i agree our prisons are too crowded with low level offenses. however, doesnt lowering the consequence on the harder stuff create the danger of more crime? do we see increased muggings, robberies and assaults for these people doing whatever they have to in order to afford their next fix? are we going to see more of these junkies shot in self defense when they try it? i also personally dont want to be on the roads with my kids and drunk 18-19 year olds. would we stiffen the penalties for drinking and driving? 20 somethings cant manage themselves, teenagers surely cant. if we as the local community catch someone acting up and we take them in the woods for a couple days and tie them to a tree and have a come to jesus meeting are we the bad guys?

not saying i am not in favor of personal freedoms, i am all in on that, i def think we need harsher punishments and responsiblities laid to the individuals that commit crimes and less blame on society, and more empowerment to communities to police themselves within reason.

Karaiya
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
* 7-Oct(#4)
In a rare agreement with @ninesalone I share the same sentiment for reasons stated above and to also end mass incarceration and the militarization of our police. I also believe it would help minority and poor white folks.
ninesalone
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
7-Oct(#5)
tonymack21 wrote:
> i agree our prisons are too crowded with low level offenses. however, doesnt lowering
> the consequence on the harder stuff create the danger of more crime? do we see increased
> muggings, robberies and assaults for these people doing whatever they have to in
> order to afford their next fix?

Theft and assault should always remain crimes.

> i also personally dont want to be on the roads with
> my kids and drunk 18-19 year olds. would we stiffen the penalties for drinking
> and driving? 20 somethings cant manage themselves, teenagers surely cant.

I don't want to be on the road with anyone drunk of any age. DUI should be a crime. 18 is the age of a legal adult. I agree a lot of 18, 19 year old are immature. Should we move the age of legal adult then and/or move the draft to 21? This also means that 18, 19 year olds would be treated as juveniles when committing heinous crimes like murder. Too much inconsistency here. It's another interesting topic.



> if we
> as the local community catch someone acting up and we take them in the woods for
> a couple days and tie them to a tree and have a come to jesus meeting are we the
> bad guys?

I don't want community police. All voluntary interactions. I really like the idea of methadone style clinics combined with rehabilitation. Offer the addict a controlled environment to get clean. Employers should drug test and we all know heroin/meth addicts are not likely to be star employees. Meth head steals, meth head is prosecuted for theft. Family and community (even charity style organizations) step in and offer help after time served.
MikeyWhoa
GameTZ Subscriber Double Gold Good Trader
7-Oct(#6)
ninesalone wrote:
> My stance is that nobody should be criminally prosecuted for putting ANY substance
> into their own body. Addiction to drugs is a medical problem and should be treated
> as such.
>
> Marijuana should be treated much the way alcohol is and is well on it's way. However,
> the legal age should return to 18. Can be drafted? You're a legal adult.
>
> Am very open to a conversation about lowering the proliferation of harder drugs like
> meth and heroin and what that would look like without clogging up our prisons. I
> also don't see these transactions between two adults as something that should be
> criminally prosecuted.
>
> I value personal freedom over any sense of security and believe the responsibly falls
> on the individual, their family and local community. The war on drugs is just another
> way government perverts and profits off of the societal problem addiction is.
>
> Great topic and curious to see others weigh in on this. yes
>


Pretty much this.

I'd just add that we should do a better job at educating ourselves and others of the pro and cons of these drugs and the best ways to treat them medically.

It's a long battle ahead though. We've got the moral oral's, the Prison Industrial Complex, and Big Pharma to overcome.


tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews
* 7-Oct(#7)
How much burden do we the tax payers have to fund these programs for something they did to themselves. Addiction viewed as a disease is still self inflicted? Though I realize many who end up addicts did so under extreme circumstances, though I know some who simply thought it would be cool to party and whore'd their bodies for the junk. Friend of mone whom I really liked. Sad story. Thankfully she's clean now and married to a great man and has her life much more together.

Also I agree with the points. Theft and assault would be crimes yes.. but we would surely see an increase were more people hooked on this stuff and trying to afford it.

Ya a slippery slope on rasing legal age... Too many factors.

And ya I dont want community lynchings either.. but my great grandparents used to say when someone wouldn't straighten up you tied them to a tree for a weekend and let them think about their life. And tell them next time they may not come back. In her 80s my great granny told us a story about how they did this with one particular guy who married into the family in the old days and then didn't wanna help work the farm. Which in those days no work means no eat. Afterwards they never had trouble with him again. Of course we don't live in a time you can just whoop someone ass because they need it.

MikeyWhoa
GameTZ Subscriber Double Gold Good Trader
7-Oct(#8)
I feel #blessed to love in a time where we've moved beyond tying people to trees to cure their ills.

DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
7-Oct(#9)
ninesalone wrote:
> My stance is that nobody should be criminally prosecuted for putting ANY substance
> into their own body. Addiction to drugs is a medical problem and should be treated
> as such.
>
> Marijuana should be treated much the way alcohol is and is well on it's way. However,
> the legal age should return to 18. Can be drafted? You're a legal adult.
>
> Am very open to a conversation about lowering the proliferation of harder drugs like
> meth and heroin and what that would look like without clogging up our prisons. I
> also don't see these transactions between two adults as something that should be
> criminally prosecuted.
>
> I value personal freedom over any sense of security and believe the responsibly falls
> on the individual, their family and local community. The war on drugs is just another
> way government perverts and profits off of the societal problem addiction is.
>
> Great topic and curious to see others weigh in on this. yes
>

Nah, that about covers it. yes
Feeb
GameTZ Subscriber Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 8-Oct(#10)
People with addictive personalities definitely choose to partake in an activity but they do not choose to be addicted to it.

I personally don't feel that there is any place in a productive society for certain hard drugs (illicit opiates, meth etc). Those drugs are dangerous in that people not choosing to take them may be harmed. There are ways to provide safe places for drug users I guess but these drugs honestly destroy a person.

Tax the crap out of it and find a way to kill the black market would definitely make us all safer. Even the drug users.
King_link
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 9-Oct(#11)
Did anyone ever check out the Silk Road? When I first heard about it, I thought "No fudging way this is real". After some investigation, you get that Holy Crap moment.

It seemed like a win for freedom to me.
thatonedude
Silver Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7)
(frozen)
15-Oct(#12)
Whoa.... first time I have agreed with a ninesalone political post.

Faith in humanity restored!
Prime
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
22-Oct(#13)
Portugal

Topic   The Silk Road - Drug legalization