VideoGame_Discussion

Topic   A New Nintendo Yarn Game

SupremeSarna
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Silver Good Trader
* 22-Jun(#1)
Good-Feel did an excellent job with Kirby's Epic Yarn and Yoshi's Woolly World. It's been years since their last Nintendo yarn/cloth game. Which series do you think would fit as a yarn title next? I've been thinking it over and can't find a really good fit beyond what they've already made.

If we're talking unfitting, I'd absolutely love to see yarn Metroid. Imagine Kraid shooting thumbtacks out of his gut or Ridley spitting cotton balls. It would royally infuriate Metroid fans, but they just got Dread--they'll manage.
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 2 Reviews
22-Jun(#2)
Metroid needs to have at least somewhat of a creepy/spooky atmosphere, so I don't know if that's a good fit.

Personally, I think a Mario yarn game could be great. Or Zelda!
bumsplikity
Double Gold Good Trader
22-Jun(#3)
Odama but instead of giant rocks you are knocking big yarn balls into lil toy soldiers.
PizzaTheHutt
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader Has Written 3 Reviews
22-Jun(#4)
They could make it work in a new Super Princess Peach game or something.

SupremeSarna
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Silver Good Trader
22-Jun(#5)
Scott wrote:
> Metroid needs to have at least somewhat of a creepy/spooky atmosphere, so I don't
> know if that's a good fit.
>
> Personally, I think a Mario yarn game could be great. Or Zelda!

I doubt they'd get the keys to Mario. Zelda came to mind, but the fans and series to an extent tend to take Zelda pretty seriously. Heck, look what happened when Link's Awakening tried that diorama look; Fans flipped out. So a silly, cushy game might be controversial.

Donkey Kong could work, since it's a 2D cartoony platformer. But DK hasn't had a proper entry since 2014, and Good-Feel games are known for being extremely forgiving. If it were announced, fans would be salty.
WithinTemptation
250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
22-Jun(#6)
So they announced there will be a new yarn game? And they said it won't be another Yoshi/Kirby?

If thats the case I would agree Mario or DK would fit well. Or even a new Wario game.
Finn
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Canada
22-Jun(#7)
Mario Yarn please!!!

SupremeSarna
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Silver Good Trader
22-Jun(#8)
WithinTemptation wrote:
> So they announced there will be a new yarn game? And they said it won't be another
> Yoshi/Kirby?
>
> If thats the case I would agree Mario or DK would fit well. Or even a new Wario
> game.

No announcement. Just having fun thinking about what a new yarn game could be.
KCPenguins
Gold Good Trader
22-Jun(#9)
Yarn F-zero, or Punch-out.
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 2 Reviews
* 23-Jun(#10)
SupremeSarna wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>> Metroid needs to have at least somewhat of a creepy/spooky atmosphere, so I don't
>> know if that's a good fit.
>>
>> Personally, I think a Mario yarn game could be great. Or Zelda!
>
> I doubt they'd get the keys to Mario.

I wasn't really considering that it would need to be handed off to another studio, I was just thinking of Nintendo series that would be a good fit for the yarn design.

> Zelda came to mind, but the fans and series
> to an extent tend to take Zelda pretty seriously. Heck, look what happened when Link's
> Awakening tried that diorama look; Fans flipped out. So a silly, cushy game might
> be controversial.

Some fans didn't like it, but overall I think most people were at least fine with it. Many loved it, and the game seems to have done well enough. I'm constantly seeing people in the Zelda community talk about how they want the Oracle games remade in the same style. Personally, I think the style worked for Link's Awakening, but I don't think it's a good fit for the Oracles.

> Donkey Kong could work, since it's a 2D cartoony platformer. But DK hasn't had a
> proper entry since 2014, and Good-Feel games are known for being extremely forgiving.
> If it were announced, fans would be salty.

I could get down with a yarn Donkey Kong game! I'll take any new 2D DK game, really. I'm still hoping they somehow manage to put one out that's more like the original trilogy.

Honestly, I would be MOST happy just to get Yoshi's Woolly World on Switch, I love that game. Or a sequel! It would have to be like Woolly World though, not Crafted World.
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 2 Reviews
23-Jun(#11)
KCPenguins wrote:
> Yarn F-zero, or Punch-out.

laughing out loud
Frank
GameTZ Subscriber 750 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13) Has Written 11 Reviews Happy Birthday to Me Secret Santa
* 23-Jun(#12)
Specifically for a yarn game...

The Legendary Starfy - It's been too damn long since this series has had a new game. Especially in the US, where I believe we only ever received the one DS game. I could see that game's gameplay fitting well with this style of graphics.

Donkey Kong - I could see them going with an easier-style platformer for this one. Similar to Donkey Kong Country/Tropical Freeze, but toned down for a younger audience.

Princess Peach - I think Super Princess Peach is in need of a sequel, and I could see it working very well with the "yarn" esthetics.

Balloon Fight - I just really want to see another entry in this series. I could see them using realistic-looking balloons/string to hold the yarn-centric Balloon "Fighter".

Pokemon - I doubt this one would ever happen, but I imagine it being another 2D platformer style game, where different yarn versions of Pokemon have different abilities. A spiritual successor to the Pokemon Rumble series maybe...

WithinTemptation
250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
23-Jun(#13)
Scott wrote:
> SupremeSarna wrote:
>> Scott wrote:
> |>> Metroid needs to have at least somewhat of a creepy/spooky atmosphere, so I don't
> |>> know if that's a good fit.
> |>>
> |>> Personally, I think a Mario yarn game could be great. Or Zelda!
>>
>> I doubt they'd get the keys to Mario.
>
> I wasn't really considering that it would need to be handed off to another studio,
> I was just thinking of Nintendo series that would be a good fit for the yarn design.
>
>
>> Zelda came to mind, but the fans and series
>> to an extent tend to take Zelda pretty seriously. Heck, look what happened when
> Link's
>> Awakening tried that diorama look; Fans flipped out. So a silly, cushy game might
>> be controversial.
>
> Some fans didn't like it, but overall I think most people were at least fine
> with it. Many loved it, and the game seems to have done well enough. I'm constantly
> seeing people in the Zelda community talk about how they want the Oracle games remade
> in the same style. Personally, I think the style worked for Link's Awakening, but
> I don't think it's a good fit for the Oracles.
>
>> Donkey Kong could work, since it's a 2D cartoony platformer. But DK hasn't had
> a
>> proper entry since 2014, and Good-Feel games are known for being extremely forgiving.
>> If it were announced, fans would be salty.
>
> I could get down with a yarn Donkey Kong game! I'll take any new 2D DK game, really.
> I'm still hoping they somehow manage to put one out that's more like the original
> trilogy.
>
> Honestly, I would be MOST happy just to get Yoshi's Woolly World on Switch, I love
> that game. Or a sequel! It would have to be like Woolly World though, not Crafted
> World.

Yoshi's Woolly World on Switch would be great.
nonamesleft
Gold Good Trader 12 year anniversary at Game Trading Zone today!
23-Jun(#14)
WithinTemptation wrote:
> So they announced there will be a new yarn game? And they said it won't be another
> Yoshi/Kirby?
>
> If thats the case I would agree Mario or DK would fit well. Or even a new Wario
> game.
After waiting years for another Wario platformer, I'll take a yarny Wario game. Sure. Yarn garlic. Yum.
nonamesleft
Gold Good Trader 12 year anniversary at Game Trading Zone today!
23-Jun(#15)
All this talk about yarn. So I looked up yarn jokes. Saw this. Made me laugh:

image

Topic   A New Nintendo Yarn Game