VideoGame_Discussion

Topic   Wii for my 4 year old.

Jerry
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
30-Nov-2017(#1)
So our son is wanting to play video games. He watches me play and our 15 year old play. What are your thoughts on getting him a Wii? Also any game suggestions would be great. Thank you!
Admiral
Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
30-Nov-2017(#2)
My 2.5 year old nephew was really digging using the wiimote sideways to wreck constantly in the game "Cruisin" on Wii (remake of Cruisin USA I think).

He played horribly, but he really enjoyed it.

I think for stuff like that he could really get into it.

Would he be good at waggling and swinging the wiimote? Sure - right into your TV!

Would he be good at using the wiimote / nunchuk combo? Doubtful for a little while I think. It takes some dexterity to use both IMO.

But overall, I'd say with the right games it's a nice purchase...especially for the price, and considering the amount of shovelware and kids games on it that you can score ubercheap.

Plus, if he breaks something on the system, it's easy to replace since there were 99 trillion Wiis sold.
DefaultGen
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 5 Reviews
30-Nov-2017(#3)
Admiral wrote:
> My 2.5 year old nephew was really digging using the wiimote sideways to wreck constantly
> in the game "Cruisin" on Wii (remake of Cruisin USA I think).

Don't soil Cruis'n USAs name like that frown

Scott
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
30-Nov-2017(#4)
I started my kids out on the Wii U and it worked quite well. Recently, we've branched out to other systems. I don't think they could have handled, say, Mario Galaxy when they were 4. As Admiral said, it does take some dexterity to use that controller configuration. Even motion controls in general were harder for them when they were younger. Since so many Wii games used motion/waggle controls, it might be frustrating for him. I'd say start with Wii U, and then as he's ready, you'll already have a system that can play Wii games too.

Karaiya
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
30-Nov-2017(#5)
If anything a Wii U or a PS3 would be okay. Of course the kiddos love Minecraft and Terraria which are both available.

However, 4 years old is a little young for console games. My most talented gamer really got good at console games at around 7 or 8. Even than, they struggle with mechanics.

Now a 3DS and 2DS might be more suitable. Plus they are durable. A Wii U is in a sense durable, but it is disc based so that could be problematic as a 4 year olds have a tendency to jack up discs and not take care of the disc insertion tray damaging them.

So think about what theyll break carelessly. A new 2DS is a little more pricey but they are garaunteed to have age appropriate games and at the same time make the child feel they are getting a "New" technology that is all their own. Also an amazon Kindle fire would be appropriate as well.
Admiral
Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
30-Nov-2017(#6)
Scott wrote:
> I started my kids out on the Wii U and it worked quite well. Recently, we've branched
> out to other systems. I don't think they could have handled, say, Mario Galaxy when
> they were 4. As Admiral said, it does take some dexterity to use that controller
> configuration. Even motion controls in general were harder for them when they were
> younger. Since so many Wii games used motion/waggle controls, it might be frustrating
> for him. I'd say start with Wii U, and then as he's ready, you'll already have a
> system that can play Wii games too.
>


Can't disagree with this thinking too much, but I'd like to add

A) 4 year old might be less concerned about being successful than say an 8 year old...so even if they SUCK at using waggle/motion, it might be more fun for them. Might.

B) A Wii U, and it's games, are considerably more expensive and more expensive to replace/repair. Plus, the library is wayyyyyy smaller with less games suited to 4 years olds.

He'd probably enjoy the Wii U also, but as a first gaming system at that age? I'm be cautious about the Wii U.
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
30-Nov-2017(#7)
Admiral wrote:
> Can't disagree with this thinking too much, but I'd like to add
>
> A) 4 year old might be less concerned about being successful than say an 8 year old...so
> even if they SUCK at using waggle/motion, it might be more fun for them. Might.

True. For my kids, motion controls just frustrated them. But, that's not always going to be the case.

> B) A Wii U, and it's games, are considerably more expensive and more expensive to
> replace/repair. Plus, the library is wayyyyyy smaller with less games suited to 4
> years olds.

Definitely more expensive, but it can play Wii AND Wii U games, so you can't really say the library is smaller raspberry

Admiral
Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
30-Nov-2017(#8)
Scott wrote:
> Admiral wrote:
>> Can't disagree with this thinking too much, but I'd like to add
>>
>> A) 4 year old might be less concerned about being successful than say an 8 year
> old...so
>> even if they SUCK at using waggle/motion, it might be more fun for them. Might.
>
> True. For my kids, motion controls just frustrated them. But, that's not always going
> to be the case.

yes Yep, my 2.5 yr old nephew didn't care that he sucked huge balls at Cruisin. He loves cars, and he thought he was doing the right thing lol

>
>> B) A Wii U, and it's games, are considerably more expensive and more expensive
> to
>> replace/repair. Plus, the library is wayyyyyy smaller with less games suited to
> 4
>> years olds.
>
> Definitely more expensive, but it can play Wii AND Wii U games, so you can't really
> say the library is smaller raspberry
>
>

Touche!!!

As for the systems being disc based (and their fragile-ness?), I'm hopeful that a parent wouldn't let the 4 yr old be in charge of inserting discs etc. without supervision wink
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
30-Nov-2017(#9)
Admiral wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>> Definitely more expensive, but it can play Wii AND Wii U games, so you can't really
>> say the library is smaller raspberry
>>
>
> Touche!!!
>
> As for the systems being disc based (and their fragile-ness?), I'm hopeful that a
> parent wouldn't let the 4 yr old be in charge of inserting discs etc. without supervision
> wink

Yeah, when my kids were younger they knew to not even touch any of the systems lol I wasn't mean about it or anything, they just knew "daddy handles that". They're 6 and 8 now and I still do all of the disc-swapping, although I let them swap out Switch carts.

darkslime
Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
30-Nov-2017(#10)
i have wiis for sale if you decide to get one
Anxiouz
GameTZ Subscriber 850 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
30-Nov-2017(#11)
My 4 year old likes playing the simple Wii Sports Resort plane flying...and he's horrible at it. But he still likes it. The Wii is the only game option IMO for kids so young.
Karaiya
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
30-Nov-2017(#12)
Hmmmm, when my son was 3 he beat Demons Souls so...
Karaiya
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
* 30-Nov-2017(#13)
...that is clearly a lie he tried was killed and thought he broke the PS3 when "you died" popped up and than cried. That is how cruel that game is. It has no mercy for even the little children.
Admiral
Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
1-Dec-2017(#14)
You mean it didn't adjust the difficulty on the fly for him, take away half the enemies, write him an IEP where there were no deaths, and then tell everyone else they weren't allowed to have the same benefits?
lpeters82
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
* 1-Dec-2017(#15)
The only game my 6 year old daughters play is the original Super Mario Bros. I know I'm going to sound like a typical dad here, but they are both advanced athletically and academically. Like my one daughter legit beat me in a 5K, plus she's by far the best player on the soccer team. Anyway, they both seem to struggle with video games. I'm not quite sure why that is, but I here people on here talking about their 2-3 year-old kids playing and my girls can just barely pass the first level in Super Mario Bros. I would be interested in what other classic games you guys would suggest. I have most systems from the Wii backwards.
Jerry
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
1-Dec-2017(#16)
Thanks guys!
KCPenguins
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader
* 2-Dec-2017(#17)
For that age, Just Dance Kids. They may not play it right, but they should love the music and kids. Use the controller condom.
egg
Double Gold Good Trader This user is on the site NOW (59 seconds ago)
* 2-Dec-2017(#18)
Sonic Unleashed though I beat it using Classic controls, never really gave the motion controls a chance.

also, Excitebots, long ago I saw a small kid playing it in a Gamestop and he was holding the wiimote like a remote, and obviously struggling at the game. (though totally engrossed in it at the same time) I suggested he hold it sideways, and he actually seemed to do pretty decently after that!

personally, I just want a Wii for certain games, and not a WiiU, I was wondering if I'd really get a WiiU just for Wii games. I hate the extra steps required (I think?) of booting into Wii mode, and the gamepad is kind of silly and obstrusive just having it lying around. But I like the benefit of not needing component cables, and WiiU support is nice to have I guess.

Topic   Wii for my 4 year old.