Vintage_Games

Topic   Street Fighter II 30th Anniversary Edition (SNES) - Merely $100

DefaultGen
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 5 Reviews Secret Santa
30-Aug(#1)
https://store.iam8bit.com/products/street-fighter-...

I figure this is dumb enough to warrant its own thread.


Lunar
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 800 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader This user is on the site NOW (5 minutes ago)
30-Aug(#2)
HOLY CRAP!!!

Wait, it's not even turbo, pass.

DefaultGen
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 5 Reviews Secret Santa
30-Aug(#3)
The most interesting thing here is they call it "Legacy Cartridge Collection", implying there will be further releases. Street Fighter II is a popular, albeit $5 SNES game. I wonder how well they would do with an official repro of Demon's Crest or Mega Man X3.

Unfortunately it looks like there won't be any code changes, so these are basically just fancy cardboard and plastic.

FrictionPin
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Gold Good Trader This user is on the site NOW (27 seconds ago)
30-Aug(#4)
DefaultGen wrote:
> The most interesting thing here is they call it "Legacy Cartridge Collection", implying
> there will be further releases. Street Fighter II is a popular, albeit $5 SNES game.
> I wonder how well they would do with an official repro of Demon's Crest or Mega Man
> X3.
>
> Unfortunately it looks like there won't be any code changes, so these are basically
> just fancy cardboard and plastic.
>

I dunno, I found this little blip at the bottom kinda interesting...

"WARNING: Use of this reproduction game cartridge (the "Product") on the SNES gaming hardware may cause the SNES console to overheat or catch fire."
dunno001
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally This user is on the site NOW (36 seconds ago)
31-Aug(#5)
FrictionPin wrote:
> I dunno, I found this little blip at the bottom kinda interesting...
>
> "WARNING: Use of this reproduction game cartridge (the "Product") on the SNES gaming
> hardware may cause the SNES console to overheat or catch fire."

I saw that myself. So, the translation is "Because we used cheap parts to maximize profit, the electrical components are not up to spec for real games. We're not taking any responsibility for this if your house burns down."

DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 31-Aug(#6)
Only the SD2SNES was engineered properly as well as all the official releases obviously; all these cheap knockoff carts are potentially (potentially.) a time bomb.

That said, the modern gamer typically puts a cart in for 2-4 hours max and then places it back on the shelf never to touch it again. Probably not going to do any serious damage at that point.
Porksta
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally This user is on the site NOW (16 seconds ago) Secret Santa
31-Aug(#7)
What is even funnier is after that line, they tell you that when you play, you need to have a fire extinguisher nearby.

DefaultGen
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 5 Reviews Secret Santa
31-Aug(#8)
In case anyone misses the sell out (can you believe they're still in stock!?) Ebay got you covered fam:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Street-Fighter-II-30th-Ann...

PlayYing
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader
31-Aug(#9)
Porksta wrote:
> What is even funnier is after that line, they tell you that when you play, you need
> to have a fire extinguisher nearby.
>
>

Come on now, anything that is printed in limited quantities and is in high demand you are going to get. Life, death , Travis buying limited edition stuff.
Prime
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
31-Aug(#10)
@DiamondDave are talking about the flash cart? It's like an everdrive but a different maker, or am I way off? Asking cause I'm looking to get a high end nes flashcart down the line, and eventually an snes and pc engine.
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
31-Aug(#12)
All those programmable carts for repros have awful engineering. Pretty much the only aftermarket PCB that was properly designed for thermals is the SD2SNES. And anything licensed by Nintendo of course

Prime wrote:
> @DiamondDave are talking about the flash cart? It's like an everdrive but a different
> maker, or am I way off? Asking cause I'm looking to get a high end nes flashcart
> down the line, and eventually an snes and pc engine.
DefaultGen
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 5 Reviews Secret Santa
1-Sep(#13)
Sold out. We're officially Beany Babies Crazy in the retro collectibles world.

DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
1-Sep(#15)
DefaultGen wrote:
> Sold out. We're officially Beany Babies Crazy in the retro collectibles world.
>

This had to be speculative. Keep you eyes out for anyone selling either a 10-15 to 1 ratio of red to green, or one person selling all green on eBay.

I refuse to believe that there were even a thousand people who bought this out.
Noid
Gold Good Trader
* 1-Sep(#16)
On the plus side, this is one "limited edition" that I'm genuinely happy to have missed. If it were a completely new iteration of Street Fighter that was getting a special release on the ol' Super Nintendo, that'd be one thing. But, to sell a shoddy reproduction of a ridiculously common title and the only thing "new" about it is the flashy coat of paint on the actual cartridge... rolls eyes
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
1-Sep(#18)
See, I say it was speculative, but the fact that the speculations are somehow selling for double the asking price before they even shipped is really bringing me down.
Gypsy
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Sep(#19)
DiamondDave wrote:
> See, I say it was speculative, but the fact that the speculations are somehow selling
> for double the asking price before they even shipped is really bringing me down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2frJ3e0hxPE
DefaultGen
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 5 Reviews Secret Santa
* 1-Sep(#20)
This is half a million dollars spent on a modern release rather than real SNES games though. If they make more of these, that's going to mean millions of dollars retro collectors/resellers are spending on them. Less money to compete with me buying retro games is good IMO.

DefaultGen
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 5 Reviews Secret Santa
1-Sep(#22)
People are getting serious about protecting their priceless investment already

image

Noid
Gold Good Trader
1-Sep(#23)
DefaultGen wrote:
> People are getting serious about protecting their priceless investment already
>
> {imgt}https://imgur.com/4yY3YXk.jpg 648 237{imgt}
>
>

I think he meant to use "rely" instead of "relay." raspberry
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
1-Sep(#24)
It is a VARIANT RE-RELEASE designed to only occasionally combust
Gypsy
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Sep(#25)
DiamondDave wrote:
> It is a VARIANT RE-RELEASE designed to only occasionally combust

Supposedly it's the exact same board in there. Source is lulternet though and it's not like I'm going to buy one to find out.
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
1-Sep(#26)
Doubt it. Wouldn't say it's prone to self immolation if it were true.

Topic   Street Fighter II 30th Anniversary Edition (SNES) - Merely $100