General

Topic   Scores/Reviews of movies you've seen recently.

savior
Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
(abandoned)
5-May-2004(#1)
This topic had many older posts which were moved here:

http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/43...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/42...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/44...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/45...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/45...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/45...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/46...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/46...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/46...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/47...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/47...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/47...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/47...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/48...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/48...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/48...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/49...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/49...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/49...
http://gametz.com/forum/Movies_Discussion/topic/49...
http://gametz.com/Movies_Discussion/scores-reviews...
http://gametz.com/Movies_Discussion/scores-reviews...
http://gametz.com/Movies_Discussion/scores-reviews...
http://gametz.com/Movies_Discussion/scores-reviews...
http://gametz.com/Movies_Discussion/scores-reviews...
http://gametz.com/Movies_Discussion/scores-reviews...
http://gametz.com/Movies_Discussion/scores-reviews...
http://gametz.com/Movies_Discussion/scores-reviews...
http://gametz.com/Movies_Discussion/scores-reviews...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...
http://gametz.com/General/scores-reviews-movies-yo...

ENIX
500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 13 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (9 minutes ago)
23-Oct(#2)
You know it's gonna be crap. I wouldn't be shocked if it was a major success though from the people who continue to see Resident Evil and Transformers movies.
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
* 23-Oct(#3)
This is the first I've heard of Geostorm so I went and watched the trailer. Looks like a decent, mindless sci-fi/action flick to me. Like Day After Tomorrow but a little more over the top. I won't go to the theater for it, but I'll catch it on Netflix some day.

Porksta
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
23-Oct(#4)
I thought Day After Tomorrow was going to be a cheesy disaster flick, but it wound up being a pretty good movie!

Porksta
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 23-Oct(#5)
The Boy - 3/10

Really more of a suspense film than a horror movie. Pretty silly overall.

Foxhack
GameTZ Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7)
23-Oct(#6)
John wrote:
> Exactly! Just looks like so much crap that I can't believe it is in theaters. I
> have a MoviePass so if there is anything worth watching about it, I'll give it a
> go. But was hoping to hear something about it beforehand.
>
> Maybe I'll have to be the guinea pig on this one...
>

If you can wait until next weekend, I can tell you how it is. (I won a free ticket, and planned to use it on this movie.)
Anxiouz
GameTZ Subscriber 800 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
23-Oct(#7)
What I've heard about Geostorm is that it's dull. Like even going into it expecting ridiculous there isn't enough fun stuff to make it enjoyable. Like 2012 or The Core, but with few special effects.
ENIX
500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 13 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (9 minutes ago)
23-Oct(#8)
I imagine its empty trash like 2012 or San Andreas. I actually laughed at the ice tsunami and the fire quake.
ENIX
500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 13 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (9 minutes ago)
23-Oct(#9)
Sounds like it's the worst kind of bad:
https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-disastrous-geostorm-is...

The Disastrous Geostorm Is Mostly About People Staring at Computer Monitors
kevolones
250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
26-Oct(#10)
ENIX wrote:
> My Neighbor Totoro - 7/10
>
> Not what I was expecting at all, but still rather charming. The slow pace was fine
> with me, but my kid did have trouble making it through some of the longer downtimes.
> Outside of the beginning bits with the kids playing, when Totoro was on screen was
> really where it shined. He's just such a silly stupid character, but charming.
> I feel like this movie wasn't sure how to end though; it just kind of ended. I thought
> there was still going to be more to it, but it was just like over. Not that it was
> a bad movie at all, just rather pointless kinda. I was expecting maybe the mom would
> die and they'd learn to cope via Totoro or something, but really not a whole lot
> happened. I can see why the Totoro dolls and crap sell like hotcakes though. I
> know I want one with that stupid fudging smile on it along with a catbus.

The no conclusion thing happens in a few of Miyazaki's movies, mostly the ones that are kid oriented. It bothers me as well that theres no point to them, but I love them anyway for some reason. I love the Bus Stop scene in Totoro. 7 is a pretty great score from you, I guess you enjoyed it quite a bit.

Have you watched Porco Rosso or Laputa Castle in the Sky?
Sid_Ceaser
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 6 Reviews
26-Oct(#11)
I love that those films are "slices of life" that we kinda drift into and then drift out of again.

They were learning about being away from their sick mama. The scene where the old sister starts yelling at the younger sister and she starts crying in the middle of the road felt pretty genuine to me.

Soot sprites FTW.

And jesus christ do I love Totoro's design. I looooved the garden tribute/dance/thingy



dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 26-Oct(#12)
Castle in the Sky was a great movie and The Wind Rises was one of the best movies I had seen in years. There is also Grave of the Fireflies if you want your day ruined.
Porksta
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
26-Oct(#13)
I have seen the following Ghibli movies and have been disappointed by all of them:

Kiki's Delivery Service
Ponyo
Spirited Away

I am still holding out hope that Grave of the Fireflies and Howl's Moving Castle will be good. I just picked up Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke at Goodwill so here's hoping they are decent.

DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 26-Oct(#14)
I actually walked out of the recent subtitled Nausicaa screening about ...a bit more than halfway through? Partly because I wanted to catch the last bus home after picking up some necessities at the nearby Walmart, but I would have been perfectly fine walking home if the movie was worthy of watching start to finish. It had its moments but it wasn't compelling enough to not skip out on nearly half of it. And I never walk out of movies because I'd rather be doing something else. Ever.

Started strong, got depressing, dragged on a bit longer than I wanted it to. Once the "mystery" had been fully revealed, I was like "Aight, I'm good" and didn't stick around to see who was going to die by the end.
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
26-Oct(#15)
I didn't care for Nausicaa.
ENIX
500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 13 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (9 minutes ago)
26-Oct(#16)
I haven't seen a single Ghibli movie until this point. I don't dislike the movie at all, I just wish there was more conflict and/or resolution to it all; it just sort of is over and that doesn't fly well with me. My kid loves the fudging thing, so I totally understand that it's a kids movie and it's very safe. I guess with my history of Disney movies, I expect more conflict and resolution and life problems for kids to learn about. For example, Pinocchio is a fudging terrifying story about being kidnapped and deceived and strangers etc but presented in a generally kid-friendly fashion. It has resolution and life lessons embedded in it. Bambi has loss, Lion King has loss and how life goes on and how to cope etc. So, with that history in mind, the whole time I watching Totoro, I'm expecting some crap's gonna happen...and then it doesn't.

In a way, its refreshing that the movie is so safe and nothing happens. My kid learns that not all ghosts are scary and can be cute and cuddly spirits etc, and there's no horrible loss to deal with and sick people can just get better. It's just odd to me that I'm expecting at any moment the conflict is coming and then it just doesn't.
DefaultGen
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 5 Reviews
26-Oct(#17)
ENIX wrote:
> I haven't seen a single Ghibli movie until this point. I don't dislike the movie
> at all, I just wish there was more conflict and/or resolution to it all; it just
> sort of is over and that doesn't fly well with me. My kid loves the fudging thing,
> so I totally understand that it's a kids movie and it's very safe. I guess with
> my history of Disney movies, I expect more conflict and resolution and life problems
> for kids to learn about. For example, Pinocchio is a fudging terrifying story about
> being kidnapped and deceived and strangers etc but presented in a generally kid-friendly
> fashion. It has resolution and life lessons embedded in it. Bambi has loss, Lion
> King has loss and how life goes on and how to cope etc. So, with that history in
> mind, the whole time I watching Totoro, I'm expecting some crap's gonna happen...and
> then it doesn't.
>
> In a way, its refreshing that the movie is so safe and nothing happens. My kid learns
> that not all ghosts are scary and can be cute and cuddly spirits etc, and there's
> no horrible loss to deal with and sick people can just get better. It's just odd
> to me that I'm expecting at any moment the conflict is coming and then it just doesn't.

Watch Princess Mononoke. It's got tentacle-covered, demonic cursed, giant boar gods that get murdered. Maybe that one's more up your alley.

Ponyo is actually my favorite Studio Ghibli film, which I don't think is a popular opinion. It's one of the "least adult" ones out there in either theme or depth.

ENIX
500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 13 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (9 minutes ago)
26-Oct(#18)
I don't need murder and mayhem. I just would like something with some kind of resolution to the problems presented other than "ok they're all fixed now". They never say what's wrong with the mom other than she's sick, then she gets worse, then she's just all better just as the movie wraps up...among other things just left off with "there you go, they're done, roll credits".
ENIX
500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 13 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (9 minutes ago)
26-Oct(#19)
Happy Death Day - 5/10

Meh. Kinda boring. I left the theater halfway through because I didn't care and had better things to do. Just wasn't interesting at all, and the main character is a total craphead so I didn't care why she was dying or who killed her.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 26-Oct(#20)
Happy Death Day - 2/10

Watched the whole thing, it only gets worse. Not worth a write-up honestly, just hot garbage. My friend and I are doing $5 tuesdays at our local theater to see new horror movies and decide if they're worth 5 bucks. We're launching a podcast soon with that premise, HDD is episode 2 or 3 probably. That's where I'll be sharing my full opinion haha
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
26-Oct(#21)
You and ENIX go on a movie date?
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
26-Oct(#22)
Honestly I WISH. Would love to physically see ENIX react to a movie live in person.
Sid_Ceaser
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 6 Reviews
26-Oct(#23)
Porksta wrote:
> I have seen the following Ghibli movies and have been disappointed by all of them:
>
> Kiki's Delivery Service
> Ponyo
> Spirited Away
>
> I am still holding out hope that Grave of the Fireflies and Howl's Moving Castle
> will be good. I just picked up Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke at Goodwill so here's
> hoping they are decent.
>
>

Disappointed in Spirited Away? Gah! You are a heartless robot! That movie is fantastic.

How's Moving Castle is one of his worst. Ponyo was so geared at little tiny kids and I did't like that either.

But Spirited Away is one of his best. So beautiful.





ENIX
500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 13 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (9 minutes ago)
26-Oct(#24)
theJaw wrote:
> Happy Death Day - 2/10
>
> Watched the whole thing, it only gets worse. Not worth a write-up honestly, just
> hot garbage. My friend and I are doing $5 tuesdays at our local theater to see new
> horror movies and decide if they're worth 5 bucks. We're launching a podcast soon
> with that premise, HDD is episode 2 or 3 probably. That's where I'll be sharing my
> full opinion haha

In all fairness, I was being extremely kind with the 5/10 because I didn't finish it. I really only made it like 30 minutes in or so and was just bored and lost interest. I wasn't offended by it but it felt so blah I just didn't want to know more. If it gets worse from there on out, then yeah it's probably less than mediocre.
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
26-Oct(#25)
Sid_Ceaser wrote:
> Porksta wrote:
>> I have seen the following Ghibli movies and have been disappointed by all of them:
>>
>> Kiki's Delivery Service
>> Ponyo
>> Spirited Away
>>
>> I am still holding out hope that Grave of the Fireflies and Howl's Moving Castle
>> will be good. I just picked up Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke at Goodwill so
> here's
>> hoping they are decent.
>>
>>
>
> Disappointed in Spirited Away? Gah! You are a heartless robot! That movie is fantastic.
>
> How's Moving Castle is one of his worst. Ponyo was so geared at little tiny kids
> and I did't like that either.

I thought it was okay. I did like the scarecrow guy that kept showing up.
Justin
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
26-Oct(#26)
Spirited Away is one of my favorite movies of all time. I'd probably have to go and rewatch most of them again to rank them, but I think Spirited Away, Totoro, and Nausicaa would be my top 3. Wasn't a huge fan of some of the more recent ones like Ponyo and Arrietty.

Not Ghibli, but if anyone hasn't seen Wolf Children, I highly recommend it. It's up there with Spirited Away to me.
Porksta
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
26-Oct(#27)
Ah Totoro, that was it. Don't know why I said Moving Castle.

Kommie
Triple Gold Good Trader
26-Oct(#28)
I wonder how much money ENIX wastes on movies he pretty much knows will probably be crap.
Porksta
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
26-Oct(#29)
I wonder if he has MoviePass.

MikeyWhoa
GameTZ Subscriber Double Gold Good Trader
* 26-Oct(#30)
Had a buddy who hadn't seen the V/H/S movies, so I watched them again with him.

V/H/S: 8.0/10

V/H/S 2: 8.5/10

V/H/S Viral: -3/10 You read that right.

Foxhack
GameTZ Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7)
26-Oct(#31)
I just came back from Geostorm.

Just... WOW. My mind is still reeling from all the awesome cheese the movie is filled with.
Tad
GameTZ Subscriber 1000 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13) This user is on the site NOW (8 minutes ago)
26-Oct(#32)
Anybody else looking forward to Stan Against Evil season 2?

kevolones
250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
27-Oct(#33)
Wolf Children is a beautiful movie. Summer Wars, Boy and the Beast and the Girl who Leapt through Time are also fantastic. So far I havent been let down by Hosoda's stuff.

I love Ghibli movies, but some of the last ones have been ok at best. Arrietty is more pointless than Totoro. At least Totoro is memorable. Wind Rises is a gorgeous film.
shadyfozzie
GameTZ Subscriber Double Gold Good Trader
27-Oct(#35)
Anyone start watching Stranger Things season 2 yet?
Jester695
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
27-Oct(#36)
Watched 4 eps so far.
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
27-Oct(#37)
shadyfozzie wrote:
> Anyone start watching Stranger Things season 2 yet?

My wife and I are going to watch half tonight and half tomorrow night. We split season 1 in half like that too.

John
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13) Secret Santa
27-Oct(#38)
Just got Netflix two days ago specifically because of Stranger Things. Watched 7 of the first 8 episodes so far over the past two nights. Will watch the Season 1 Finale tonight -- and then start on Season 2. yes
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
27-Oct(#39)
I'll watch season 2 over the next few weeks. I like savoring shows like this and not plowing through in a day or two.
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
27-Oct(#40)
When we re-watched Season 1 recently, we took it slower. I liked the approach of binging it on the first watch and then taking it slower on the second watch.

EB
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader
27-Oct(#41)
Since I am kind of a horror wimp, how scary is Stranger Things? I have considered watching it for a while.

John
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13) Secret Santa
27-Oct(#42)
EB wrote:
> Since I am kind of a horror wimp, how scary is Stranger Things? I have considered
> watching it for a while.

It's really not that bad. You see very little of the "scary" parts (at least for most of Season 1). Little bit of "jump scares" here and there, but not much.

This isn't a big spoiler and I almost just said it publicly, but just to be safe (but I think non-watchers can look and not have it really spoil anything):

There is some sort of scary creature/monster and you see it now and then.



And it'll freak you out a little bit, but it isn't like watching one of the current horror flicks. yes
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
27-Oct(#43)
EB wrote:
> Since I am kind of a horror wimp, how scary is Stranger Things? I have considered
> watching it for a while.

My wife doesn't like scary/horror at all, and nothing in the show really bothered her.

EB
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader
27-Oct(#44)
Got it thanks @John @Scott

devans77
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
27-Oct(#45)
Scott wrote:
> EB wrote:
>> Since I am kind of a horror wimp, how scary is Stranger Things? I have considered
>> watching it for a while.
>
> My wife doesn't like scary/horror at all, and nothing in the show really bothered
> her.
>
>

Same situation here

Porksta
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
28-Oct(#46)
Lincoln - 3/10

God what a fudging snoozefest.

DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
28-Oct(#47)
Ghostbusters 2016 - 5/10

I mean, it wasn't AWFUL. If there was about once more fudging dance scene I was gonna lose my crap and the last quarter really wasn't very good at all, but I chuckled a bit.
MikeyWhoa
GameTZ Subscriber Double Gold Good Trader
29-Oct(#48)
Raw 8.5/10

A gruesome and gory French take on adolescence, disguised as a quasi-horror flick. Definitely worth a peek.

theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
29-Oct(#49)
DiamondDave wrote:
> Ghostbusters 2016 - 5/10
>
> I mean, it wasn't AWFUL. If there was about once more fudging dance scene I was
> gonna lose my crap and the last quarter really wasn't very good at all, but I chuckled
> a bit.

I'm thinking of finally giving this one a shot soon. I've just been real worried.
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 29-Oct(#50)
It's got too much dancing and the humor is... well, it's more stupid, as all humor these days is. The original Ghostbusters is bound to be much more dry, intelligent humor, but if you can stand modern comedy, it's fine at worst. I wouldn't call it bad. Just pretend it isn't a Ghostbusters movie, honestly, it's just got callbacks and easter eggs FROM Ghostbusters.
Osiris
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
29-Oct(#51)
watched first two epis of Stranger Things first season, kinda interesting, most of you are big fans? A lot of kid stuff early.
John
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13) Secret Santa
29-Oct(#52)
I'm a fan of the first season. Second season, of which I've also watched two episodes, better freakin' step it up soon...

I'm working hard to not be disappointed... But it's work...
Sid_Ceaser
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 6 Reviews
29-Oct(#53)
The only thing not good about the 2nd season is the 7th ep, in its entirety.

The rest was fantastic.



dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
29-Oct(#54)
I'm only 2 episodes into season 2 and its been meh so far. Episode 1 was good but 2 was really long and drawn out. I think the show is good, but I'm not at the same hype level that most on the internet seem to be. Good show but not the best that Neflix has to offer.
Stiler
Gold Good Trader
29-Oct(#55)
I've only watched the second episode as well and think it was a huge mistake to:


Have 11 come back to quickly/easily, like legit she was in the upside down for like 2 seconds it seems and just walked right out....there was so much story potential for her being stuck in there for a while but they completely avoided it.

theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
29-Oct(#56)
People are going to judge Season 2 harder because Season 1 was an out of nowhere sensation. No one knew what to expect so there were no, well, expectations. I'm starting S2 tonight and am heading in wih extremely level expectations. Looking forward to it though! Love the Lovecraftian vibe from the trailers.
Feeb
GameTZ Subscriber Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally This user is on the site NOW (5 minutes ago)
29-Oct(#57)
I felt like it's more of the same so far. I'm on episode 5 but wasn't blown away by the first season so no let down here.
John
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13) Secret Santa
29-Oct(#58)
I guess my issue is that Season 1 felt original. But Season 2 is less so so far.

[I'm on S2E4, so spoiler if you aren't that far yet...]

The idea of him raising up the little creature just seems not-so-original to me. And then, of course, it turns out to be growing into another creature.



I guess that just seemed obvious to me or something.

Don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying it still -- and more-so now that I'm a couple more episodes in. I just thought that part, at least, was a bit cliche.
DefaultGen
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 5 Reviews
30-Oct(#59)
Porksta wrote:
> Lincoln - 3/10
>
> God what a fudging snoozefest.
>

I fell asleep during it smiley:::frown I just wasn't in the mood for it when I watched it I guess.

Scott
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
30-Oct(#60)
Sid_Ceaser wrote:
> The only thing not good about the 2nd season is the 7th ep, in its entirety.
>
> The rest was fantastic.

I agree completely.



It might have been worth it if 8 ended up coming back to Hawkins with 11 and they worked together, but since that never happened, it was a waste.



theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 31-Oct(#61)
Up to episode 4 in Stranger Things Season 2. Just as good as the first so far, the 80s vibe is alive and well. I just can't believe they cast the Smoke Monster from LOST, never thought I'd see him tackle another role.
Osiris
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
31-Oct(#62)
Watched most of season 1 stranger things, doesn't look like my cup of tea. Glad I checked it out though.
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
31-Oct(#63)
Up to episode 4 on Stranger Things as well. Its okay, still a little slow but things looks to be picking up a bit.
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
31-Oct(#64)
I've heard the "slow" complaint thrown around a lot for S2. I really don't think S2 was slow at all, things just don't play out exactly the same as they did in S1. A big part of S2 is the suspense of "what is the shadow monster up to?" S1 didn't really have that, you meet the monster pretty early, and know that he's a threat that needs to be stopped. It's not slow to me, just different.

dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
31-Oct(#65)
You could make a drinking game out of season 2. Every time someone burns out in their car you take a shot.
John
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13) Secret Santa
* 31-Oct(#66)
Scott wrote:
> I've heard the "slow" complaint thrown around a lot for S2. I really don't think
> S2 was slow at all, things just don't play out exactly the same as they did in S1.
> A big part of S2 is the suspense of "what is the shadow monster up to?" S1 didn't
> really have that, you meet the monster pretty early, and know that he's a threat
> that needs to be stopped. It's not slow to me, just different.

To me, the parts that you mention (monster buildup and suspense) are the few parts that are NOT slow. You can't pick out the best bits and go "I don't see why people think it is slow."

It felt "slow" to me because the first two episodes are 5% monster/suspense and 95% "other."

S2E1 is pretty much "Intro to a couple new characters." I get that it needs to be done -- but I still felt it was "slow." Even doing a quick Google search on reviews has things like "The season starts with a fairly non-eventful episode." I think that is a good summary. smiley:::smile

S2E2 is a little better since we get a bit of background of how we got where we are now -- and that was needed, of course -- but it still felt "slow" to me.

Heck, even S2E3 is mostly

Eleven wandering around outside, but that never really goes anywhere interesting since no one important finds out

and then we get an angry-teen-fight-with-parent scene.

And I also feel that certain things, as I said, were just too cliche for me:

- That "angry-teen-fight-with-parent" scene that I just mentioned.
- Coughing up the slug which grows into another Monster. Seemed obvious from the moment we saw the slug.
- Dustin falling so hard for his slug friend. Even reviewers online mention that this seems a stretch for Dustin's character. He should have been more skeptical based on what has been going on.
- Drunken Nancy was pretty poorly done for me. Again, the "truth comes out when I'm drunk" cliche? Come on. Heck, I'm feeling BAD for Steve these days. He's had his bad moments, sure, but he's really put up with some crap along the way!
- The very cliche "just stand up to your bully and it'll go away!" talk from Bob (that appears to have backfired, of course).



Again, don't get me wrong -- I like this show. But I totally get complaints about S2 being slow for a few episodes, at least. S1 felt original to me. S2 feels more like "we're kinda out of ideas, so we've reused most of the usual tropes for ya." Not horrible, but not S1 quality.
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
31-Oct(#67)
John wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>> I've heard the "slow" complaint thrown around a lot for S2. I really don't think
>> S2 was slow at all, things just don't play out exactly the same as they did in
> S1.
>> A big part of S2 is the suspense of "what is the shadow monster up to?" S1 didn't
>> really have that, you meet the monster pretty early, and know that he's a threat
>> that needs to be stopped. It's not slow to me, just different.
>
> To me, the parts that you mention (monster buildup and suspense) are the few parts
> that are NOT slow. You can't pick out the best bits and go "I don't see why people
> think it is slow."

I wasn't just referring to specific parts that show the monster. What I meant was how several episodes pass before we really know what the monster is up to (almost the end, really), so that suspense is really dragged out. Contrast this with S1 where we know in Ep1 what the monster is, and it doesn't take much longer past that to realize what it's capable of.

> It felt "slow" to me because the first two episodes are 5% monster/suspense and 95%
> "other."

While I don't agree with that ratio, that's ok with me. What's great about this show isn't just the monster/suspense. A large part is the characters and their relationships, not to mention the whole heavy 80s vibe. I'm perfectly fine with the "other".

> S2E1 is pretty much "Intro to a couple new characters." I get that it needs to be
> done -- but I still felt it was "slow." Even doing a quick Google search on reviews
> has things like "The season starts with a fairly non-eventful episode." I think
> that is a good summary. smiley:::smile
>
> S2E2 is a little better since we get a bit of background of how we got where we are
> now -- and that was needed, of course -- but it still felt "slow" to me.
>
> Heck, even S2E3 is mostly ... and then we get an angry-teen-fight-with-parent scene.
>
> And I also feel that certain things, as I said, were just too cliche for me:
> ...

I'd have to watch again to talk specifics on each episode, but these seem like pretty biased summaries, focusing on a couple bad things and ignoring lots of good. I'd love to address each point you put in spoilers but it gets annoying with spoiler tags. If you want to post it in the ST thread I made I'll say more.

> Again, don't get me wrong -- I like this show. But I totally get complaints about
> S2 being slow for a few episodes, at least. S1 felt original to me. S2 feels more
> like "we're kinda out of ideas, so we've reused most of the usual tropes for ya."
> Not horrible, but not S1 quality.

Are you saying it's reusing too much from S1, or that it's reusing too many common tropes in general? If the former I disagree. I think the main reason people are finding it slow is because they were expecting it to move very similarly to how S1 moved. But it doesn't, it does a lot of things different, and for a lot of people 'different' automatically becomes 'bad' (not saying you, but a lot). If you meant the latter, I don't think it's any different from S1, really. Isn't one of the main points of this show for it to be a huge throwback to 80s movies?

JD
350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
31-Oct(#68)
Stranger things season 2 - 9/10

Saving last episode for tonight i just watched all except final
Will update later

Loved it
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
31-Oct(#69)
It's only slow comparatively, it's not a generally slow season of TV. I think the pace is going leaps and bounds toward making this a legitimate "drama" series as opposed to just a cool 80s throwback like the first season, while still working wonders in that aspect. There are some great quieter character moments in these first 4 eps I've seen that really push the development of most of the main cast in a fun direction and the mysteries surrounding Will and the Upside Down do an awesome job of holding my interest without the "go from location a to location b to location c back to location a to location d" pacing of the first season.

That said, I don't really even feel like this season is paced that much slower than Season 1. Nothing has dragged so far for me. Really interested in seeing whatever makes this dreaded episode 7 so dreaded haha
Gypsy
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
31-Oct(#70)
The Rules of the Game (FR, 1939, black and white)

8.5/10

Really good movie.

It's a biting commentary/critique on French society thinly veiled as a comedy. It's quite straight forward.

Of note: the Criterion blu is quite good considering the source material (mono audio and the film itself had to be reconstructed as the French destroyed the negatives in WWII).
John
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13) Secret Santa
31-Oct(#71)
Scott wrote:
> While I don't agree with that ratio, that's ok with me. What's great about this show
> isn't just the monster/suspense. A large part is the characters and their relationships,
> not to mention the whole heavy 80s vibe. I'm perfectly fine with the "other".

Hmmm... I think we're just have semantic issues here. I'm not opposed to "other" parts. In this case, I meant that the other parts are "slow." I just felt that the "other" parts in S1 were more exciting and less cliche is all.

> I'd have to watch again to talk specifics on each episode, but these seem like pretty
> biased summaries, focusing on a couple bad things and ignoring lots of good. I'd
> love to address each point you put in spoilers but it gets annoying with spoiler
> tags. If you want to post it in the ST thread I made I'll say more.

Dude. I don't want to debate with you. I'm not trying to convince you that some episodes are "slow". Nor are you going to convince me that they aren't. There is little point to that.

All I was saying is that I totally get the people saying that S2 is "slow" in the first few episodes. And I also totally get why some reviewers say things like "nothing much happened this episode." Again, I still enjoy the show. I just have not enjoyed the first few episodes of S2 as much as I did S1. Because I feel that S1 was more original and S2 is more cliched and obvious -- so I feel like I know what was coming (so far).

> Are you saying it's reusing too much from S1, or that it's reusing too many common
> tropes in general?

Tropes in general. Like most of those things on my short list. Those seem pretty common and obvious things that get overused in shows. I don't feel like S1 was like that at all.

> I think the main reason people are finding
> it slow is because they were expecting it to move very similarly to how S1 moved.

I simply expected it to continue to have original writing. And I'm not getting as much of that as I hoped for. It isn't about how it "moves" as much as the things that come up that seem so common (the teen angst thing with 11 really left a bad taste in my mouth, I guess).

> If you meant the latter,
> I don't think it's any different from S1, really.

Well, then we can just agree to disagree. I felt that S1 was original/new. I feel like the first few episodes of S2 were a bit too cliche is all. Again, that's all I'm saying really. No biggie. I'm going to watch E5 here in a few minutes and hope for the best. yes

> Isn't one of the main points of this show for it to be a huge throwback to 80s movies?

Yes and no. Having great 80s reference is fun, yes. But you can still have an original storyline/plot. S1 did that very well -- lots of 80s throwback without the cliche. S2, not so much so far.
John
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13) Secret Santa
* 31-Oct(#72)
theJaw wrote:
> It's only slow comparatively, it's not a generally slow season of TV.

I can likely agree with that. That's a good way to put it. I'm comparing S2 too much to S1. (Probably because I literally just watched S1 for the first time last week -- so it is very fresh -- so the transition to S2 was pretty obvious for me.)

> That said, I don't really even feel like this season is paced that much slower than
> Season 1. Nothing has dragged so far for me.

It's cool. Just different for everyone, of course. Personal preference thing. For me, they dragged a bit so far. But, yes, looking forward to more. yes

> Really interested in seeing whatever
> makes this dreaded episode 7 so dreaded haha

Yeah, I wish I hadn't seen that everywhere. smiley:::frown I've tried to avoid spoilers -- but even people saying things like that really suck. smiley:::frown (I don't mean you here -- I mean that I also saw that all over the place already too.)
sinnie
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Nov(#73)
We are only into episode 2 of Stranger Things 2. Loving the 80s nostalgia. Makes me wish time travel were possible to go back.

Porksta
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Nov(#74)
Prometheus - 8/10

I wasn't expecting much, just a movie I got for cheap that had a digital code. Figured I would watch it and sell it and basically get a free rental. I was actually surprised by how good it was. I had no interested in seeing Covenant, but after this movie I think I will take a look.

Feeb
GameTZ Subscriber Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally This user is on the site NOW (5 minutes ago)
1-Nov(#75)
Porksta wrote:
> Prometheus - 8/10
>
> I wasn't expecting much, just a movie I got for cheap that had a digital code. Figured
> I would watch it and sell it and basically get a free rental. I was actually surprised
> by how good it was. I had no interested in seeing Covenant, but after this movie
> I think I will take a look.
>
>

I really like Prometheus and just saw Covenant on a flight. It was pretty awesome IMHO.
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
* 1-Nov(#76)
John wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>> While I don't agree with that ratio, that's ok with me. What's great about this
> show
>> isn't just the monster/suspense. A large part is the characters and their relationships,
>> not to mention the whole heavy 80s vibe. I'm perfectly fine with the "other".
>
> Hmmm... I think we're just have semantic issues here. I'm not opposed to "other"
> parts. In this case, I meant that the other parts are "slow." I just felt that
> the "other" parts in S1 were more exciting and less cliche is all.

You said 'It felt "slow" to me because the first two episodes are 5% monster/suspense and 95% "other."' That's why it seemed to me like you were just saying the "other" stuff was boring. I guess if I had to chose, I would prefer the "other" of S1 as well, but it's not that much better than S2. But then S2 has better build-up and suspense, IMO, so it evens out.

>> I'd have to watch again to talk specifics on each episode, but these seem like
> pretty
>> biased summaries, focusing on a couple bad things and ignoring lots of good. I'd
>> love to address each point you put in spoilers but it gets annoying with spoiler
>> tags. If you want to post it in the ST thread I made I'll say more.
>
> Dude. I don't want to debate with you. I'm not trying to convince you that some
> episodes are "slow". Nor are you going to convince me that they aren't. There is
> little point to that.

I don't know where this is coming from. I wasn't trying to debate with you either, I thought we were just talking. I made a short post with an opinion, you replied with a pretty long post, so I replied to everything you said with my thoughts. I just get annoyed with trying to talk back and forth in spoiler tags, that's why I made the thread where spoilers are allowed, but nobody is using it.

> All I was saying is that I totally get the people saying that S2 is "slow" in the
> first few episodes. And I also totally get why some reviewers say things like "nothing
> much happened this episode." Again, I still enjoy the show. I just have not enjoyed
> the first few episodes of S2 as much as I did S1.

I was just listening to a review this morning where the guy was saying he thought Ep1-4 of S1 were amazing, but after that it dropped off. I didn't really feel that way, but maybe most other people did? If people felt so strongly about the beginning of S1 specifically, I can see that contributing more to them feeling the beginning of S2 was slow. Again, I just felt they were different and enjoyed S2 for what it was. I'm glad the pacing was different, among other things.

> Because I feel that S1 was more
> original and S2 is more cliched and obvious -- so I feel like I know what was coming
> (so far).

Yeah I don't feel that way at all, but that's just me.

>> I think the main reason people are finding
>> it slow is because they were expecting it to move very similarly to how S1 moved.
>
> I simply expected it to continue to have original writing. And I'm not getting as
> much of that as I hoped for. It isn't about how it "moves" as much as the things
> that come up that seem so common (the teen angst thing with 11 really left a bad
> taste in my mouth, I guess).

You did this in your previous post...we're talking about it being slow and then all of a sudden you're talking about original writing. I don't think those two go hand in hand. Something can be original and slow, or unoriginal and not slow. You clearly think it's unoriginal, I'm not trying to change your opinion. I just don't agree. But that's a different point altogether, it has nothing to do with whether or not it's slow.

>> If you meant the latter,
>> I don't think it's any different from S1, really.
>
> Well, then we can just agree to disagree. I felt that S1 was original/new. I feel
> like the first few episodes of S2 were a bit too cliche is all. Again, that's all
> I'm saying really. No biggie. I'm going to watch E5 here in a few minutes and hope
> for the best. yes

Let me know what you think about the 2nd half of S2 yes

John
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13) Secret Santa
1-Nov(#77)
Scott wrote:
> You said 'It felt "slow" to me because the first two episodes are 5% monster/suspense
> and 95% "other."' That's why it seemed to me like you were just saying the "other"
> stuff was boring.

Sorry, I thought I tried to clarify later that "other" is ok if original. It only feels "slow" when the "suspense" just feels drawn out because it is cliche or obvious.

But, again, let's not argue this further. I watched S2E5 last night and really enjoyed it. It feels back on track now to me. I simply felt that the first few episodes seemed "slow" because they were doing the obvious tropes.

And, again, it clearly isn't just me -- lots of people felt this way. Lots of reviews say that. If it was fine for you and others, that's fine too. But lots of us felt that S2 started "slow" (in a bad way as opposed to a good/suspenseful-slow way).

> I don't know where this is coming from. I wasn't trying to debate with you either,
> I thought we were just talking. I made a short post with an opinion, you replied
> with a pretty long post, so I replied to everything you said with my thoughts. I
> just get annoyed with trying to talk back and forth in spoiler tags, that's why I
> made the thread where spoilers are allowed, but nobody is using it.

I had pointed out some specific details in the episodes that I didn't enjoy that much. You then said that we could go to the other thread (without spoilers) so that you could respond to those individually. I just didn't want to get into that -- it got to "debate-like" as if we were trying to convince the other that they were wrong. I just didn't want to do that. If you didn't mean that either, then that's cool. I just didn't want to go back and forth that much about it when we're mainly talking about personal preferences on things.

> Yeah I don't feel that way at all, but that's just me.

yes Exactly. Most of this is personal preference. I felt the first few of S2 were a bit predictable because it was the standard tropes. You didn't. That's cool. yes

> You did this in your previous post...we're talking about it being slow and then all
> of a sudden you're talking about original writing. I don't think those two go hand
> in hand.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. For me, they absolutely went hand-in-hand. They felt slow to me because they were predictable or standard tropes. You can't build suspense if I know what is coming. So, suspense turns to "slow" when you're just waiting for what you expect to already happen. When it was original in S1, I didn't know what to expect -- so suspense and build-up work well. When it was not as original in S2, the "suspense and build-up" just feels "slow." So, original-vs-slow absolutely go together for me.

> Something can be original and slow, or unoriginal and not slow. You clearly
> think it's unoriginal, I'm not trying to change your opinion. I just don't agree.

yes
Anxiouz
GameTZ Subscriber 800 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
1-Nov(#78)
Feeb wrote:
> Porksta wrote:
>> Prometheus - 8/10
> I really like Prometheus and just saw Covenant on a flight. It was pretty awesome
> IMHO.

People really seem to hate Prometheus and then Covenant didn't win anyone back. But I enjoy both and thought they were well done. I'm a big Aliens fan though.
Jester695
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
1-Nov(#79)
Stranger Things S2 -- 6/10
Gypsy
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Nov(#80)
Drunken Angel (JP, 1948, black and white)

7.5/10

One of Kurosawa's earlier films. Noir story of a sick gangster and a scruffy jaded doctor that treats him. A snapshot of post-war Japan with powerful characters. Mifune is a really good actor.

Topic   Scores/Reviews of movies you've seen recently.