General

Topic   Most expensive thing you've ever purchased for yourself?

whitefire
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 29-Dec(#1)
It just has to be something fun and for you. Not a necessity or a vehicle, home, etc.


dunno001
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
30-Dec(#2)
I'm also assuming lots are excluded; I've had a couple of those go over $1000, but no single item was more than a couple hundred. Using that logic, it would be a Virtual Boy game. Most expensive one I got was $950. Looking at derpy stuff on other Nintendo systems ensures I won't go for a complete set of any other of their systems once I finish the N64. (US is done, just need the JP exclusives now...)

ninesalone
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 30-Dec(#3)
A plasma TV years ago. More recently, Gamecube CIB Disney Sports Basketball from @FrictionPin
Porksta
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
30-Dec(#4)
I paid about $1800 for my LASIK. That was pretty fun.

For a tangible item, I paid about $1200 for my watch.

tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 3 Reviews
* 30-Dec(#5)
I guess a non car/home thing it'd be the tv.

Edit.. almost forgot... Lol... It's def that gateway computer I customized back in ~98/99.. an antique by today's standards but it was the baddest of the bad and super expensive back then.

KingofGames
GameTZ Subscriber Bronze Good Trader Has Written 2 Reviews
30-Dec(#6)
I purchased a painting for $18,000 a few months ago. It's with the idea of making some money, but even that isn't a given.

whitefire
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 30-Dec(#7)
KingofGames wrote:
> I purchased a painting for $18,000 a few months ago. It's with the idea of making
> some money, but even that isn't a given.
>
>

May I inquire as to name of the artist?

KingofGames
GameTZ Subscriber Bronze Good Trader Has Written 2 Reviews
30-Dec(#8)
Frank C. McCarthy

lpeters82
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
* 30-Dec(#9)
KingofGames wrote:
> I purchased a painting for $18,000 a few months ago. It's with the idea of making
> some money, but even that isn't a given.

I had no idea these paintings you were posting were that level of expense. That's a serious investment.

Don't you have many of his paintings too?
lpeters82
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
30-Dec(#10)
For me it would be $2,500 for a pinball machine. I own six machines now. After buying, selling, and trading I have a few thousand cash in them. I'm at a point where there is zero risk of loosing money, which feels good.
reneeatworld
Double Gold Good Trader Has Written 20 Reviews
30-Dec(#11)
Porksta wrote:
> I paid about $1800 for my LASIK. That was pretty fun.
>

I considered getting Lasik. Were there any side effects? I should check to see if my insurance includes any kind of Lasik.

DiamondDave
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
30-Dec(#12)
Think it was straight-up PS4 Pro. $400 is an extravagance I don't often have.
darkslime
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
30-Dec(#13)
I bought a $900 bike 4 years ago that just got stolen
DiamondDave
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
30-Dec(#14)
;( Lost a $400 bike (that I traded $120 in groceries to get) because I forgot to padlock it because I biked it downtown way too early for a dumb busy catering shift.
reneeatworld
Double Gold Good Trader Has Written 20 Reviews
30-Dec(#15)
Not including things that I bought as a necessity (like a car, a house, etc) or stuff for the household (like tv's, a driveway, brand new paint job on the house, etc), the most expensive thing I purchased for myself was probably a original 60gb PS3 when it launched for $600 + tax.

It's really hard to determine what qualifies as a purchase for me, or what qualifies as a household purchase, since I've gotten computers, entertainment items, concert tickets, etc. The $600 PS3 was solely for me, though. I didn't have to share it with anybody, it was just 100% mine.

KingofGames
GameTZ Subscriber Bronze Good Trader Has Written 2 Reviews
30-Dec(#16)
lpeters82 wrote:
> KingofGames wrote:
>> I purchased a painting for $18,000 a few months ago. It's with the idea of making
>> some money, but even that isn't a given.
>
> I had no idea these paintings you were posting were that level of expense. That's
> a serious investment.
>
> Don't you have many of his paintings too?

I sold several, but those were much cheaper. I bought one of his fine art paintings as a potential investment. In hindsight, probably not worth it but I'm hopeful.

sinnie
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
30-Dec(#17)
lpeters82 wrote:
> For me it would be $2,500 for a pinball machine. I own six machines now. After buying,
> selling, and trading I have a few thousand cash in them. I'm at a point where there
> is zero risk of loosing money, which feels good.

I would love to get a pinball machine once I get moved into my next house and have the space for it. Sooo much fun and nostalgia.

For me, probably braces? I paid out of pocket in my 20s for them, around $4500 and made me feel better to not have screwed up teeth that were super hard to clean and stained all the time from it.

Most recently I sort of went nuts over the holiday and bought a new laptop, new cellphone and an irobot mop and new roomba, all for me and to make life easier anyway. I also paid my car off with money I earned from my business over this last quarter, quite proud of that, it was nearly $10k after my expenses.

theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
30-Dec(#18)
Probably the Macbook I'm posting from, but the user who sold it to me here on the TZ let me pay it off in increments so it wasn't so bad.
willyum
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (17)
* 30-Dec(#19)
Laptop; it was circa 2001, and I think I paid a total of $2200 for it. Toshiba Satellite 5005-S504: P3 1.1ghz, 30gb HD, 512mb RAM, 16gb Geforce2Go. It was fantastic at the time. Now, its specs are comparable to that of a cellphone. Crazy!

dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
30-Dec(#20)
Probably my TV(s). My Toshiba plasma I bought for about $1700 after tax in 2006, then a few years later I bought a Toshiba LED TV for the same price, then last month I bought an LG OLED for $1500. Biggest purchase I've ever made in cash was my current car which was about $21k.
Scots
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally This user is on the site NOW (2 minutes ago)
30-Dec(#21)
Does a vacation count? That would certainly be mine.

Besides things like vacations or appliances, I guess mine would probably be laptop or rifle.
SirConnery
GameTZ Subscriber 1000 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
30-Dec(#22)
Every 3 or 4 years I spend about $2,000ish on a iMac.
darkslime
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
30-Dec(#23)
DiamondDave wrote:
> ;( Lost a $400 bike (that I traded $120 in groceries to get) because I forgot to
> padlock it because I biked it downtown way too early for a dumb busy catering shift.
I left mine in a friend's car where one of the doors doesn't lock and someone opened it up and stole it. In hindsight I should have brought it in, but it was in a nice neighborhood off the beaten path that I didn't expect it to be stolen at.

SirConnery wrote:
> Every 3 or 4 years I spend about $2,000ish on a iMac.
Why?
SirConnery
GameTZ Subscriber 1000 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
30-Dec(#24)
Because I buy new or refurbished and that's the going rate with the upgrades I select. I got out cheaper this year because I chose refurbished and spent about $1900 after tax. Technically it's a business expense but I spend the majority of my time using it.
Prime
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
30-Dec(#25)
Teeth! Root Canal, post and crown: $2500 x3.
Scots
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally This user is on the site NOW (2 minutes ago)
31-Dec(#26)
darkslime wrote:

> I left mine in a friend's car where one of the doors doesn't lock and someone opened
> it up and stole it. In hindsight I should have brought it in, but it was in a nice
> neighborhood off the beaten path that I didn't expect it to be stolen at.

That was dumb.
RagingShadow07
GameTZ Subscriber Double Gold Good Trader Has Written 17 Reviews
31-Dec(#27)
Frivolously upgrading PC parts. Just spent $800 to replace my graphics card with a different version of the same card because I didn't like the aesthetics of the former (though in my defense I'm making 85 percent of that back when I sell the old card). I usually upgrade every year to year and a half.

DiamondDave
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 31-Dec(#28)
Just beat the PS4 Pro: GTX 1080 incoming Wednesday. raspberry

I do this with the understanding that I won't need to replace the card for several years.
beavis
Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
31-Dec(#29)
Probably the $1300 or so I paid to see Auburn in the National Championship back in 2010. Money well spent, great trip and awesome to see us win a championship in person.

Jerry
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
31-Dec(#30)
Probably the summer I worked my butt off saving money for a PlayStation. All my friends told me I was dumb and it'd suck. But I had enough for it and 2 games. I ended up with Rayman and Ridge Racer. It was so worth it too, I don't even remember how much all of it was. I was 14 at the time.
DefaultGen
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 5 Reviews
31-Dec(#31)
Twilight Zone pinball machine, and put over $1000 of work and mods into it. Worth it.

Noid
Gold Good Trader
31-Dec(#32)
DefaultGen wrote:
> Twilight Zone pinball machine, and put over $1000 of work and mods into it. Worth
> it.
>
>

That's money and time well spent. yes
Demonis
Double Gold Good Trader
2-Jan(#33)
I spent $1500 on a LCD TV when the tech first came out. Lesson learned haha.

Also bought an old Honda CRX Si some years back with the intent of turning it into a weekend drag car. Dropped a CRV motor in it, stripped out 95% of the interior, car was nearly ready and circumstances changed. Sold it at a huge loss. I can't remember what I spent, but it was a few grand at least.
Dustin
GameTZ Subscriber 650 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally This user is on the site NOW (4 minutes ago)
2-Jan(#34)
Paid $2200 for a 46" LCD back in 2007. I think that was the most expensive. I got a job at Best Buy just so I could get the discount as it was $3300 without the discount. It was one of the first TVs on the market that was 120Hz.
Admiral
650 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
2-Jan(#35)
Either the 75" 4K Sony I just bought, or - if we count all expenses - I bought a used hot tub for $500, but paid $1000 for decking and concrete, and $600 for electrical.
lpeters82
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
2-Jan(#36)
DefaultGen wrote:
> Twilight Zone pinball machine, and put over $1000 of work and mods into it. Worth
> it.

Probably a solid purchase too. I think in the 6 years I've been in the hobby prices have nearly doubled.
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
2-Jan(#37)
If we're counting projects then my Wife and I have paid somewhere close to $150k cash over the last 3 years in remodeling our house.
DefaultGen
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 5 Reviews
2-Jan(#38)
dustin11 wrote:
> If we're counting projects then my Wife

I thought the sentence was going to end there, lol.

Noid
Gold Good Trader
* 2-Jan(#39)
dustin11 wrote:
> If we're counting projects then my Wife and I have paid somewhere close to $150k
> cash over the last 3 years in remodeling our house.

Great googa-mooga, dustin11! You've paid more in cash on remodeling your house than my whole home mortgage!! What'd all you have done, son?! shock
MentalVortex
Silver Good Trader
2-Jan(#40)
Saved up $3500 when I was 17 to buy a 1997 CBR 600 F3 motorcycle.
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
2-Jan(#41)
Noid wrote:
> dustin11 wrote:
>> If we're counting projects then my Wife and I have paid somewhere close to $150k
>> cash over the last 3 years in remodeling our house.
>
> Great googa-mooga, dustin11! You've paid more in cash on remodeling your house than
> my whole home mortgage!! What'd all you have done, son?! shock

Pretty much gutted the house and redid everything. We still have 2 bathrooms to remodel then I think we're done. A quick rundown the biggest items on the list were: "New roof, new driveway and back patio ($18k for this alone), rewire the entire house, re-plumb the house, re-drywall everything, refinish the original flooring (from the early 50's), new hardy board siding, all new doors and windows throughout, and an entirely brand new kitchen. I also took a week off from work to redo the fire place this next week.
Noid
Gold Good Trader
2-Jan(#42)
dustin11 wrote:
> Noid wrote:
>> dustin11 wrote:
> |>> If we're counting projects then my Wife and I have paid somewhere close to $150k
> |>> cash over the last 3 years in remodeling our house.
>>
>> Great googa-mooga, dustin11! You've paid more in cash on remodeling your house
> than
>> my whole home mortgage!! What'd all you have done, son?! shock
>
> Pretty much gutted the house and redid everything. We still have 2 bathrooms to remodel
> then I think we're done. A quick rundown the biggest items on the list were: "New
> roof, new driveway and back patio ($18k for this alone), rewire the entire house,
> re-plumb the house, re-drywall everything, refinish the original flooring (from the
> early 50's), new hardy board siding, all new doors and windows throughout, and an
> entirely brand new kitchen. I also took a week off from work to redo the fire place
> this next week.

That's a mighty impressive rundown! Just out of curiosity, though, how much of this was more out of necessity (probably the roof if it was the original one from the 1950's) and how much was more of an aesthetic update (probably the kitchen if it was the original one from the 1950's)? I ask because my home was built in 1955 and it's built to last. With the exception of a replaced roof, added disposal in the kitchen sink, and a new coat of paint, there hasn't been much that this ol' house needed. I went ahead and tore up the linoleum in the living room and dining room and had hardwood floors installed and finished as well as the existing hardwood floors in the bedrooms refinished; but, that was more of a cosmetic decision than anything else. Past those aforementioned changes, all its bathrooms and kitchen are just as they were more than fifty years ago. It really is a thing of beauty. love
Scots
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally This user is on the site NOW (2 minutes ago)
2-Jan(#43)
If we're including home renovations, that would certainly be the first one for me.
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 2-Jan(#44)
Noid wrote:
> dustin11 wrote:
>> Noid wrote:
> |>> dustin11 wrote:
>> |>> If we're counting projects then my Wife and I have paid somewhere close to
> $150k
>> |>> cash over the last 3 years in remodeling our house.
> |>>
> |>> Great googa-mooga, dustin11! You've paid more in cash on remodeling your house
>> than
> |>> my whole home mortgage!! What'd all you have done, son?! shock
>>
>> Pretty much gutted the house and redid everything. We still have 2 bathrooms to
> remodel
>> then I think we're done. A quick rundown the biggest items on the list were: "New
>> roof, new driveway and back patio ($18k for this alone), rewire the entire house,
>> re-plumb the house, re-drywall everything, refinish the original flooring (from
> the
>> early 50's), new hardy board siding, all new doors and windows throughout, and
> an
>> entirely brand new kitchen. I also took a week off from work to redo the fire
> place
>> this next week.
>
> That's a mighty impressive rundown! Just out of curiosity, though, how much of this
> was more out of necessity (probably the roof if it was the original one from the
> 1950's) and how much was more of an aesthetic update (probably the kitchen if it
> was the original one from the 1950's)? I ask because my home was built in 1955 and
> it's built to last. With the exception of a replaced roof, added disposal in the
> kitchen sink, and a new coat of paint, there hasn't been much that this ol' house
> needed. I went ahead and tore up the linoleum in the living room and dining room
> and had hardwood floors installed and finished as well as the existing hardwood floors
> in the bedrooms refinished; but, that was more of a cosmetic decision than anything
> else. Past those aforementioned changes, all its bathrooms and kitchen are just as
> they were more than fifty years ago. It really is a thing of beauty. love

In terms of needing to do to live in it?
-The roof.
-Electrical (old aluminum wiring that wasn't gauged correctly for the load of newer electronics).
-Plumbing (old galvanized pipes).
-Drywall (black mold was starting to develop in a lot of it)
-Driveway because someone planted a plumb tree too close to it and the roots completely broke it apart, and it wasn't sloped correctly when originally done so the rain water was running back to the house and was starting to eat away at the foundation.
-The siding needed to be redone as well because the original cedar siding was warping which created gaps that animals and bees could squeeze through and live in our walls.

There were other things like the kitchen was gross AF and the linoleum floor was coming apart and the linoleum counter tops had a bunch of water damage and was peeling really badly. The cabinets were really gross as well, so I kind of consider the kitchen as a necessity as well. Windows were also kind of necessity because most of them were either cracked or not put into code, plus they were single pane. The people who lived in the house prior to us were slobs and completely ruined the house. We bought it for a really really low price as my Wife's Mom inherited it from her Dad when he died, so I didn't even see the house before we bought it. I walked into it before we did any remodeling and I thought we had made a mistake because of the condition it was in. Luckily, it has "good bones", so theres not been anything that's unfixable......yet.
KingofGames
GameTZ Subscriber Bronze Good Trader Has Written 2 Reviews
2-Jan(#45)
How much did you pay for the house itself? I'm gonna guess about as much as what you put into it, considering the amount of work necessary.

dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
2-Jan(#46)
We paid $175k. Redfin says that its worth $440K as of now but they also don't factor in that we've completely remodeled it.
KingofGames
GameTZ Subscriber Bronze Good Trader Has Written 2 Reviews
2-Jan(#47)
Awesome, you must've purchased back in 2012/2013. I need to put some work into my house (paid $442,000 in 2016), but not nearly as much as you. Did you finance the repairs?

dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 2-Jan(#48)
KingofGames wrote:
> Awesome, you must've purchased back in 2012/2013. I need to put some work into my
> house (paid $442,000 in 2016), but not nearly as much as you. Did you finance the
> repairs?
>
>

September of 2013, I believe. We paid for all the repairs in cash because most contractors give you a discount with cash only as they, ugh.......may or may not report the income. Some people just wouldn't' accept cash for whatever reason, so in those situations we would put the charge on our Alaska Airlines card and then immediately pay it off so we could get the airline miles.
KingofGames
GameTZ Subscriber Bronze Good Trader Has Written 2 Reviews
2-Jan(#49)
Impressive. I'm looking into PACE programs, as the loan is payable over 20 years, sometimes 30, and is charged through property tax. Most of the upgrades I want to do to my house are covered by the local program. I'm sure we could have a long discussion about this, but I don't want to derail the thread.

dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
2-Jan(#50)
Some things were definitely easier to do as a group of projects, like we rewired and re-plumbed the house before we moved in and when all the drywall was removed, saved us thousands because it took less time for the contractors to do their jobs. We also told them not to clean up after themselves because we didn't want to pay them their high wages to throw away garbage. Its taken us along longer to do it with paying by cash, but at the same time, we don't have any additional charges hanging over our heads and we can put that extra money we're saving from not paying interest back into our mortgage. There are things we could have done cheaper too, but didn't mind spending the extra cash on better stuff. The one project that comes to mind is our kitchen backsplash. Yeah, we could have done it for cheap but we liked these specific tiles that were $20/sqft rather than the cheaper $3-4/sqft stuff, and I hate cleaning grout so instead we used epoxy based stain resistant grout at $120/gal, and to go around the outline of the backsplash we found some sweet matching quarter round pieces at the low price of $10 per linear foot. I have to admit, that even though its been 3+ years of work, its been a lot of fun. PACE doesn't sound too bad though, great way to let you increase the price of your home and get some equity out of it.
loztdogs
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
3-Jan(#51)
I just paid 15K for 1200sq feet of colored stamped concrete for my back patio.

Admiral
650 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
3-Jan(#52)
That's ALOT of space.
loztdogs
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
3-Jan(#53)
It pretty much runs the length of my house. I own a corner lot on a cul-de-sac. My lot is almost 9000sqft.

Tony
Double Gold Good Trader
3-Jan(#54)
In 1977 I paid $700 for an RCA Selectavision VCR. Adjusted for inflation that would be about $2,80 in todays dollars. Blank 4 hour recording time tapes were $25 (about $100 today).

Somewhere around 1990 I paid $2,000 for a Goldstar 286 computer with 640K RAM and a 20 MB hard drive. Adjusted for inflation that would be about $3,775 today. A couple of years later I upgraded it to an 80 MB hard drive for $200.

I've owned a few pinball machines, but don't currently have one. I had a Gottlieb's Kings and Queens, a Lost World, and the first Star Trek (based on the first ST movie). A Kings and Queens pinball was featured in the movie Tommy and I used to have a poster of Elton John by the Kings and Queens on the wall next to my machine. I traded it for the Star Trek.
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
3-Jan(#55)
Tony wrote:

> Somewhere around 1990 I paid $2,000 for a Goldstar 286 computer with 640K RAM and
> a 20 MB hard drive. Adjusted for inflation that would be about $3,775 today. A couple
> of years later I upgraded it to an 80 MB hard drive for $200.

Sounds alot like current iMac pricing.
HybridCRoW
GameTZ Subscriber Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 2 Reviews
3-Jan(#56)
Earliest I can remember is buying a Dell Inspirion desktop computer sometime after I turned 18 so I could play games like EverQuest and World of Warcraft at the time. I believe it cost me $1100.

Then about 8-9 years ago, I built my first computer, that cost me also $1100.

I'd have to say the most recent expensive thing I've purchased for myself would be the conventions I have gone to so far. I have been to 3 different conventions: Texas Frightmare Weekend, Dragon Con, and HorrorHound Cincinnati (also HorrorHound Columbus). Including lodging, food, and transportation costs, I have spent at least $2,000.
BucketofJustice
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 6 Reviews
4-Jan(#57)
A week long vacation to Las Vegas almost 4 years ago now. Spent about $1300 I believe. I don't remember exactly but that's close. I was drunk for a week.

Topic   Most expensive thing you've ever purchased for yourself?