Politics

Topic   How would you like the US to spend $1.5 trillion?

Osiris
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
3-Nov(#1)
Appears tax changes will result in $1.5 trillion deficit, and actual tax savings to Americans will depend on location, income and family size. Anticipated new tax revenue to make up deficit is speculative at best.

I would prefer a revenue neutral tax plan that is more targeted to stimulating business activity and wage growth.

If we are going into debt, I can't understand why we are not creating an infrastructure bill, widespread support, job and revenue generation, etc. Why not borrow money for this investment?
Karaiya
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
3-Nov(#2)
Jeez Louise....

Yeah thats not a great thing
Dustin
GameTZ Subscriber 600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
3-Nov(#3)
I mean the last two presidents put us so far in debt Trump probably just said screw it.
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (10 minutes ago)
* 3-Nov(#4)
Actually, just as a bit of a number bump for you, here's the federal budget deficit for the past decade.

image

When we're budgeting how MUCH of a deficit we'll be running, it's difficult to fathom precisely why anyone would consider tax cuts to be in the books. But these are Strange Times.
Scots
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
3-Nov(#5)
Wall
Dustin
GameTZ Subscriber 600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
3-Nov(#6)
Barack Obama - The national debt grew the most dollar-wise during President Obama's two terms. He added $7.917 trillion, a 68 percent increase, in seven years. This was the fifth-largest increase percentage-wise. Obama's budgets included the economic stimulus package. It added $787 billion by cutting taxes, extending unemployment benefits, and funding public works projects. The Obama tax cuts added $858 billion to the debt in two years.

George W. Bush - President Bush added the second-greatest amount to the debt, at $5.849 trillion. But this was the fourth-largest percentage increase out of all the presidents. Bush increased the debt 101 percent from where it started on September 30, 2001, at $5.8 trillion. That's the end of FY 2001, which was President Clinton's last budget. Bush responded to the 9/11 attacks by launching the War on Terror. That drove military spending to record levels of $600-$800 billion a year. It included the Iraq War, which cost $807.5 billion.
Osiris
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
3-Nov(#7)
i guess i'm more concerned about what spending projects we undertake going forward that would increase federal deficit.

Unlikely to build an actual tall thick wall along the 2000+ mile southern border, will do some physical barrier, some electronic and more agents. the good thing about this Kelly approach is you can prioritize weak areas, manage spending and we won't be waiting 12 to 15 years for a monothic physical structure to be built.
Prime
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
3-Nov(#8)
Dustin wrote:
> Barack Obama - The national debt grew the most dollar-wise during President Obama's
> two terms. He added $7.917 trillion, a 68 percent increase, in seven years. This
> was the fifth-largest increase percentage-wise. Obama's budgets included the economic
> stimulus package. It added $787 billion by cutting taxes, extending unemployment
> benefits, and funding public works projects. The Obama tax cuts added $858 billion
> to the debt in two years.
>
> George W. Bush - President Bush added the second-greatest amount to the debt, at
> $5.849 trillion. But this was the fourth-largest percentage increase out of all the
> presidents. Bush increased the debt 101 percent from where it started on September
> 30, 2001, at $5.8 trillion. That's the end of FY 2001, which was President Clinton's
> last budget. Bush responded to the 9/11 attacks by launching the War on Terror. That
> drove military spending to record levels of $600-$800 billion a year. It included
> the Iraq War, which cost $807.5 billion.

Both of these numbers for both presidents were calculated using 100 years of shady, ever changing economics. The way we used to calculate fiscal dollars was once straight forward. Both of these presidents existed in an economic climate where as country we' essesntially begin using Monopoly money and invented loopholes and new algebra. Only by this time the control variable was now able to also be changed on the fly through a variety of different political games from both parties. Both of these presidents served as the new age of perversions in finance and capitalism had been rewritten.
Prime
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
3-Nov(#9)
We can save billions by investing in the infrastructure of three government controlled entities. Highway lights, street lamps and traffic light conversion to solar with a backup LED that's plugged into the grid in case of emergencies. No more shelling out billions for fossil fuels and power companies. The investment would pay for itself inside of 10 years. We NEVER do things like this anymore. We never streamline and evolve and use smart money. It's always incremental uninspired crap that we junk halfway through and move on to the next stupid money, debt inspiring "solution". This isn't a hippy notion either this would benefit the country from a fiscal standpoint from the highest earners down to the poorest people. We need more things, more overhauls of things that will be both universally benifical and cost effective. Sadly the world of political insulation seems impenetrable and not even universal good can be agreed upon by all inside the system.
Karaiya
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
* 3-Nov(#10)
I am almost certain infrastructure was part of Trumps platform. I forgot hes a big coal guy...
Osiris
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
3-Nov(#11)
anybody run the numbers on current vs new 1040 tax guidelines? be interesting to see how possible add and deletes of deductions affect specific situations. If a family of 4 picks up 12k in exemption and $1200 more in kid credit, enough to cover loss of state/local tax and medical deductions? Not sure how marginal rates will compute yet
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (10 minutes ago)
* 3-Nov(#12)
I don't think many people will see a change. If I get a 2K refund this year I'll let you know
Dustin
GameTZ Subscriber 600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
3-Nov(#13)
If I owe less than $14,000 this year I'll be happy.
Feeb
GameTZ Subscriber Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
3-Nov(#14)
35k for me. It hurts a bit.
Osiris
300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
3-Nov(#15)
DiamondDave wrote:
> I don't think many people will see a change. If I get a 2K refund this year I'll
> let you know

Dave, you a bad boy using the IRS as your no dividend savings plan!
Karaiya
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
3-Nov(#16)
I usually get back around 10k
dracula
Triple Gold Good Trader Has Written 7 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (9 minutes ago)
7-Nov(#17)
Karaiya wrote:
> I usually get around 10k in food stamps

Fixed that for you. And that seems a little high.
thatonedude
Silver Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7)
(frozen)
* 7-Nov(#18)
I get it, because he's black... amirite?! Is this where you want someone to call out racism so the cuck campaign to use identity politics against the left gets some action?

I don't know his situation, but all it would take is to overpay taxes by ~1k and have 3 children under 18 to get a ~10k return.
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (10 minutes ago)
7-Nov(#19)
I just scream laughed "WHAT THE FUDGE" in Subway. Do you have aspergers?

dracula wrote:
> Karaiya wrote:
>> I usually get around 10k in food stamps
>
> Fixed that for you. And that seems a little high.
Karaiya
Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
* 7-Nov(#20)
Devin, I pay the government what I owe so that way you'll be able to have your meds when you're an old demented racist. I get a nice kick back for raising a single parent family each year that goes to college tuition.

Also have I told you its okay to be white today?
Feeb
GameTZ Subscriber Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
7-Nov(#21)
It's hard to be white here in GA. Everybody assumes I'm dumb because I drive a pickup.
yankees7448
Bronze Good Trader
7-Nov(#22)
Osiris wrote:
> Appears tax changes will result in $1.5 trillion deficit, and actual tax savings
> to Americans will depend on location, income and family size. Anticipated new tax
> revenue to make up deficit is speculative at best.
>
> I would prefer a revenue neutral tax plan that is more targeted to stimulating business
> activity and wage growth.
>
> If we are going into debt, I can't understand why we are not creating an infrastructure
> bill, widespread support, job and revenue generation, etc. Why not borrow money
> for this investment?

I would want it to be spent on infrastructure. Someone mentioned putting LED lighting on all the highways of the country. That's such a smart choice I can't believe it isn't being done. They've done it for all the streetlights in my area. The lighting is brighter, uses less electricity and the bulbs take longer to replace.

Then you have bigger things. There is a railroad junction in the Chicago area that is notoriously congested. They've been trying to untangle that mess for years and a lot of the cross country freight goes through that bottleneck. You spend the money necessary to clear that bottleneck and costs of shipping go down.
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (10 minutes ago)
7-Nov(#23)
yankees7448 wrote:
> I would want it to be spent on infrastructure. Someone mentioned putting LED lighting
> on all the highways of the country. That's such a smart choice I can't believe it
> isn't being done. They've done it for all the streetlights in my area. The lighting
> is brighter, uses less electricity and the bulbs take longer to replace

I mean, 2/3 of those sound fine
yankees7448
Bronze Good Trader
* 7-Nov(#24)
As a New York City resident I would love it if the Federal government would use a portion of that money to fund projects that our MTA would consider otherwise too expensive.

A couple ideas that I would love.

1: Speeding up the process of extending the Second Avenue line. Upon completion it will go from 125th street all the way down to Hanover street in Lower Manhattan. Unfortunately, because of the cost of construction they are doing it in 4 phases. The first phase has been completed but it only runs from 96th street south where it connects to a west side line at 63rd street. While progess is a good thing its just too short of a line to really help decrease the load on the notoriously crowded Lexington Avenue 4,5 and 6 train lines. Once its completed people in Manhattan will have a legitimate alternative to getting around the East side.

2. Building a new tunnel under the Hudson River to expand the 7 train into New Jersey. It'll give New Jersey residents another option to get into mid-town Manhattan among other benefits.

3. Building a new train line that connects the Bronx to Brooklyn. As things stand right now depending upon what part of the Bronx you live in and what part of Brooklyn you're trying to get to Mass Transit just doesn't make sense. My trip to the Barclay Center to watch some boxing or a Nets game isn't too bad. It's only an hour each way. But to get to from my house to Coney Island Avenue amounts to a roughly 4 hour round trip. I don't even consider making my way there without a car. But even then traffic is sometimes so bad that the trip is an hour and a half each way.

4. Expanding Metro-North Service in the Bronx. There have been proposals for years to add 4 Metro North stops in the Bronx. Riding these lines would be more expensive for residents but if its done the way they describe it will cut transit time into Manhattan considerably.

5. Then you have the incredibly expensive Gateway Program. This article does a better job explaining it than I ever could.

http://www.governing.com/topics/transportation-inf...
yankees7448
Bronze Good Trader
7-Nov(#25)
DiamondDave wrote:
> yankees7448 wrote:
>> I would want it to be spent on infrastructure. Someone mentioned putting LED lighting
>> on all the highways of the country. That's such a smart choice I can't believe
> it
>> isn't being done. They've done it for all the streetlights in my area. The lighting
>> is brighter, uses less electricity and the bulbs take longer to replace
>
> I mean, 2/3 of those sound fine

I know what you mean. There are times I feel its too bright when I walking down the main avenue in my neighborhood. But the brightness is more welcome in the quieter side streets.
DiamondDave
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (10 minutes ago)
7-Nov(#26)
I meant the part where Lighting is Brighter (sounds good), uses less electricity (obviously good), takes longer to replace (wait wha)
yankees7448
Bronze Good Trader
* 7-Nov(#27)
DiamondDave wrote:
> I meant the part where Lighting is Brighter (sounds good), uses less electricity
> (obviously good), takes longer to replace (wait wha)

Oh, I meant that you don't need to replace it as often. Sorry. Bear with me its the end of the day. lol

Topic   How would you like the US to spend $1.5 trillion?