General

Topic   Buying a kid his first video game system - what would you do?

MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
12-Dec-2017(#1)
Hey all,

My Mom has a close friend that's ... not doing well financially. She is raising her grand kids (two) on her own with a very limited income. My Mom wants to buy their kids a couple nice gifts (~$100). Anyway, besides the point.

The boy just turned 9 and has no smart phone, no internet, no games. Hasn't ever played a video game in his life.

I have two SNES mini's and I am debating opening one of them, modding them, and giving to him due to having a bunch of games readily accessible.

In today's time, is that tough for a kid to start on SNES? Too hard, too old, not cool, etc.? Reality is, something is better than nothing. Personally, if it was my kid ... F yeah, I'd want him/her to start with SNES!

The other option perhaps, track down a ~$100 DS bundle with a handful of games on eBay? Problem is, the Grandma literally wouldn't be able to buy anymore games, accessories, etc. Almost seems like a bad investment to buy something that would require future spend vs. the SNES is pretty much a done deal as-is.

Your thoughts?

Thanks
Kblazer883
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader Has Written 2 Reviews
* 12-Dec-2017(#2)
Personally I prefer the Sega Genesis, it's relatively cheap and can get some decent games cheap as well, or you could just go with one of the classic consoles with games already built in so that, as you say, no more money is needed to be spend in the future. Either way, it's a very nice gesture.
whitefire
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
12-Dec-2017(#3)
Personally, I'd go NES first. Nearly indestructible controller, simple layout, games with limited movement. I think it's a great way to get into gaming. My second choice would be a 2DS (the regular one) and get him some New Super Mario Bros. and VC titles.

DefaultGen
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 5 Reviews
12-Dec-2017(#4)
Get them something that plays Minecraft IMO. Kids on average still love Minecraft orders of magnitude more than the decades old games we all love.

Admiral
Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
12-Dec-2017(#5)
I say a Wii. Controls are simple, no cords, and plenty of kids games. Then, they can graduate up to the Classic controller and some Mario, both 2D and 3D yes
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 3 Reviews
12-Dec-2017(#6)
my kids started on the 360 mostly, lego games and the like. a wii would be a decent choice as well, but they preferred the lego and other things to the wii stuff, they didn't use theirs near as much. my kids cant stomach anything pre 360 era hardly, they cant believe the controls were so shoddy and the controllers so uncomfortable and how we could have thought it was cutting edge stuff lol.

I was playing dragon quest 8 on my pc the other day and my daughter was like oh slimes! she likes slimes lol. but couldn't believe how I was gushing at the graphics (1080p with no jaggies thanks to the emulation lol) and I was like well look at this and turned it back to native and she was like omg change it back lol.

they don't appreciate the classics but they do look and more importantly feel ancient and clunky to them.

@DefaultGen is right also they LOVE minecraft. they even watch youtubers play it ALL the time, almost more than they play. they like roblox too but not as much. fortnite is their latest thing.

Scott
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
12-Dec-2017(#7)
I think your plan of giving him the SNES Classic is best. Just the 20 games it comes with could last him a long time, but modding it for him takes that even further. I don't think it would be too hard for him, since he's 9.

Admiral
Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
12-Dec-2017(#8)
tonymack21 wrote:
> my kids started on the 360 mostly, lego games and the like. a wii would be a decent
> choice as well, but they preferred the lego and other things to the wii stuff, they
> didn't use theirs near as much.

The Wii has pretty much all of those Lego games too yes
Kevster
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Global Trader (8)
12-Dec-2017(#9)
My son is 9 and at the moment it is all about roblox, fortnite and minecraft
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
12-Dec-2017(#10)
SNES mini or just an SNES because nothing beats the satisfaction of clicking a cartridge in place.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 3 Reviews
12-Dec-2017(#11)
Kevster wrote:
> My son is 9 and at the moment it is all about roblox, fortnite and minecraft

lol sounds like my 10. fortnite is life right now lol.


Jester695
Gold Good Trader
12-Dec-2017(#12)
Admiral wrote:
> I say a Wii. Controls are simple, no cords, and plenty of kids games. Then, they
> can graduate up to the Classic controller and some Mario, both 2D and 3D yes

I agree. Simple games. Tons that are dirt cheap to buy used. One of my friends has two kids, and I got them Boom Blox. They've been playing that together for a month nonstop.
Admiral
Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
12-Dec-2017(#13)
Boom Blox is like 99 cents raspberry Perfect!
Scott
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
12-Dec-2017(#14)
MrBean wrote:
> The other option perhaps, track down a ~$100 DS bundle with a handful of games on
> eBay? Problem is, the Grandma literally wouldn't be able to buy anymore games, accessories,
> etc. Almost seems like a bad investment to buy something that would require future
> spend vs. the SNES is pretty much a done deal as-is.

Seems like a lot of people overlooked this part.

MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
12-Dec-2017(#15)
Scott wrote:
> MrBean wrote:
>> The other option perhaps, track down a ~$100 DS bundle with a handful of games
> on
>> eBay? Problem is, the Grandma literally wouldn't be able to buy anymore games,
> accessories,
>> etc. Almost seems like a bad investment to buy something that would require
> future
>> spend vs. the SNES is pretty much a done deal as-is.
>
> Seems like a lot of people overlooked this part.
>
>

Yeah ... that and no internet. Two big problems.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 3 Reviews
12-Dec-2017(#16)
ya I thought about online play, maybe you want that for him and maybe not, my kids love being able to play with their friends, but they are also a little more experienced in the gaming thing.

Demonis

12-Dec-2017(#17)
I'd say an old Wii as well. Only downside there is batteries required.
Admiral
Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
12-Dec-2017(#18)
True about the batteries, and connecting wiimotes, and making the sensor bar functional...

Perhaps the SNES classic IS the way to go. I mean, I got my NES at 9 years old - and was great at it.
Karaiya
Has Written 1 Review
(abandoned)
12-Dec-2017(#19)
The SNES remember this child doesnt have much and even a modded SNES with all those games would likely make him very happy.
Prime
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
12-Dec-2017(#20)
Snes Mini hacked and loaded with original gameboy games, nes games and Snes games maybe a handful of gb color and advance too.
KCPenguins
Gold Good Trader This user is on the site NOW (10 minutes ago)
* 12-Dec-2017(#21)
Does she even have a TV with HDMI? No SNES Classic if not.

I'd you're willing to hack a SNES Classic, why not hack a Wii? Get them a used Wii loaded up with games and rechargeable batteries. The Lego games alone are 100 of hours of entertainment if they enjoy them (hell you could probably buy it all legit for less than one classic) . Also DS w/ R4 card is an option.

Is this the equivalent of a modern day Robin Hood?
Feeb
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 12-Dec-2017(#22)
I think having too much variety harms gaming or at least your appreciation of it. If you have a handful of really good games that he could totally devour you'd be teaching him to appreciate the game as well as value what he has. As a kid I got 5 dollars a week allowance. I usually could save enough to get 2-3 games a year after taxes etc. But man I sure did play the hell out of them.

Having these "classic" consoles I dabble a few minutes and move on. I blame it on my ADD. Baby.
HAMMER
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
13-Dec-2017(#23)
tonymack21 wrote:
> Kevster wrote:
>> My son is 9 and at the moment it is all about roblox, fortnite and minecraft
>
> lol sounds like my 10. fortnite is life right now lol.
>
>
>

Glad I'm not the only one.

I can get down on Minecraft but Roblox is a mystery to me.


But to the point at hand. Why not go with a Raspberry Pi or something where you arent just limited to SNES games? Give them an entire generation of gaming.

(Legally of course because they will own all of the titles and these would just be backups.)
HAMMER
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
13-Dec-2017(#24)
I see I'm not the first with that general concept.
egg
Double Gold Good Trader
* 13-Dec-2017(#25)
SNES games don't have tutorials and ROMs don't come with instruction booklets.
Honestly probably the reason SNES was a hit for us back in the day was because we had instruction booklets, strategy guides, magazines like NIntendo Power, GamePro, etc.

Putting every ROM on an SNES mini is definitely a bad idea, because how would he know what game to pick?
And even if you tell him about the Mario games then what's the point of having a hundred other crappy games that a new gamer has never heard of? Can someone be expected to memorize which ones they've tried? (or write down all the games and cross them off one by one?) Seriously.
Having an unmodded SNES Mini is actually better in this particular case.

Nintendo Wii might be good in this situation and it even has Mario All Stars, only problem is the controllers require batteries.

So maybe get a 2DS or a wired console. PS2 doesn't have Mario All Stars but it does have collections for Sonic and Mega Man X, and probably at least one Namco Museum.
Admiral
Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
13-Dec-2017(#26)
Maybe get him a CD-i or something.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 3 Reviews
13-Dec-2017(#27)
Admiral wrote:
> Maybe get him a CD-i or something.

lol it has Mario and Zelda!!


EclipseLion
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 13-Dec-2017(#28)
I started out with the Sega Genesis and Sonic Spinball

So, I'd get him a Sega Genesis Flashback HD as his starter console. I like the fact that console has a cartridge slot so if the kid enjoys the system, later on they could look on craiglist or in retro game shops for more carts

As someone else said, confirm with the gma that their tv has hdmi.

2nd Choice would be snes classic, they're not too hard to find anymore, I know someone else said the best part was the manuals, hopefully either gma or mom has a phone or tablet so the child could look up the virtual manuals if they went this route. IIRC they're a QR code on the box of the classic taking you directly to the manuals site, youu could bookmark the page for them.

But I still think the Genesis would be the best overall route, as those games are generally easy to understand, except Phantasy Star IV...hopefully he won't click that one heh heh

Feeb
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 13-Dec-2017(#29)
I think of all the systems I've had the one I'd have most enjoyed as a child would be game boy advance. That thing was so great.
MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
13-Dec-2017(#30)
Damnit, you're all making really good points ... This is tough.
Admiral
Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
13-Dec-2017(#31)
EclipseLion wrote:
> I started out with the Sega Genesis and Sonic Spinball
>
> So, I'd get him a Sega Genesis Flashback HD as his starter console.

Or, he could get one of the older Genesis Clones from @games for less - and have the AV port instead of HDMI if that's important. I'm fairly certain, aside from a few game differences, they are the same. Not the worst idea yes

> But I still think the Genesis would be the best overall route, as those games are
> generally easy to understand, expect Phantasy Star IV...hopefully he won't click
> that one heh heh
>

PSIV is amazing!!!!
dracula
Bronze Good Trader Has Written 7 Reviews
(restricted)
13-Dec-2017(#32)
SNES classic was easy to pick up and play
dunno001
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
13-Dec-2017(#33)
I, like many others have said, would also go with an unmodded SNES mini. It comes with a great selection of games without worrying about fatigue from choosing. Plus I saw you mentioned 2 grandkids- this defaulting with 2 controllers will allow both to play. Worst case scenario, if her TV does not support HDMI, they do make converters that you could get and include with it for hookup. And if they do later decide they want more games, you can always offer to mod it for them later...

longhornsk57
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
13-Dec-2017(#34)
PS4.

Fudge all the bullcrap, we would have all wanted this gen at that age, it's just that SNES was it.

Can you imagine if the SNES had been out for 4 years and your parents got you an NES? fudge that.

Get a PS4 for cheap.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 3 Reviews
13-Dec-2017(#35)
that is my kids, they have a hard time with anything pre 360 era, if they couldn't have minecraft they'd be like can it not play minecraft lol. i wish id have invented minecraft. :/



jgrant78
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader
* 13-Dec-2017(#36)
Pawn shop here in town did a bundle last week. You could get a 360 with a controller and two games for $50. I thought to myself, man, this would be a solid deal for someone wanting to get into gaming or a kid looking for his first system
Boss
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 700 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (8)
13-Dec-2017(#37)
DS Lite with a R4 cart.
Or 3DS and a DSTWO PLUS. (But I think the above is probably better to start off).

Wouldn't get anything that they would have to invest additional money into in the future.
Admiral
Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
13-Dec-2017(#38)
longhornsk57 wrote:
> PS4.
>
> Fudge all the bullcrap, we would have all wanted this gen at that age, it's just that
> SNES was it.
>
> Can you imagine if the SNES had been out for 4 years and your parents got you an
> NES? fudge that.
>
> Get a PS4 for cheap.


I actually like this answer! lol

I mean, can a 9 yr old handle a Dual Shock 4? Probably!!! 2 year olds know how to use iphones!!!

Kblazer883
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader Has Written 2 Reviews
13-Dec-2017(#39)
longhornsk57 wrote:
> PS4.
>
> Fudge all the bullcrap, we would have all wanted this gen at that age, it's just that
> SNES was it.
>
> Can you imagine if the SNES had been out for 4 years and your parents got you an
> NES? fudge that.
>
> Get a PS4 for cheap.

I disagree with this. If you have no money, who will buy the games? I think the kids would appreciate an SNES classic when they have nothing already.

@Admiral I wonder if those people who stick a smartphone in their kids hands at 2 are praying for a reliable self-driving car to be on the roads in 14 years?
longhornsk57
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
13-Dec-2017(#40)
Kblazer883 wrote:
> longhornsk57 wrote:
>> PS4.
>>
>> Fudge all the bullcrap, we would have all wanted this gen at that age, it's just
> that
>> SNES was it.
>>
>> Can you imagine if the SNES had been out for 4 years and your parents got you
> an
>> NES? fudge that.
>>
>> Get a PS4 for cheap.
>
> I disagree with this. If you have no money, who will buy the games? I think the
> kids would appreciate an SNES classic when they have nothing already.
>
> @Admiral I wonder if those people who stick a smartphone in their kids hands at 2
> are praying for a reliable self-driving car to be on the roads in 14 years?

Games are dirt cheap for used older PS4 games. Like $8 or less.
Kblazer883
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader Has Written 2 Reviews
13-Dec-2017(#41)
longhornsk57 wrote:
> Kblazer883 wrote:
>> longhornsk57 wrote:
> |>> PS4.
> |>>
> |>> Fudge all the bullcrap, we would have all wanted this gen at that age, it's just
>> that
> |>> SNES was it.
> |>>
> |>> Can you imagine if the SNES had been out for 4 years and your parents got you
>> an
> |>> NES? fudge that.
> |>>
> |>> Get a PS4 for cheap.
>>
>> I disagree with this. If you have no money, who will buy the games? I think the
>> kids would appreciate an SNES classic when they have nothing already.
>>
>> @Admiral I wonder if those people who stick a smartphone in their kids hands at
> 2
>> are praying for a reliable self-driving car to be on the roads in 14 years?
>
> Games are dirt cheap for used older PS4 games. Like $8 or less.

That's cool, but it still doesn't answer the question of who will buy the games for the kids. MrBean said they have limited financial means.

@MrBean just stick with your original idea of an SNES, modded or not.
longhornsk57
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
13-Dec-2017(#42)
Kblazer883 wrote:
> longhornsk57 wrote:
>> Kblazer883 wrote:
> |>> longhornsk57 wrote:
>> |>> PS4.
>> |>>
>> |>> Fudge all the bullcrap, we would have all wanted this gen at that age, it's
> just
> |>> that
>> |>> SNES was it.
>> |>>
>> |>> Can you imagine if the SNES had been out for 4 years and your parents got
> you
> |>> an
>> |>> NES? fudge that.
>> |>>
>> |>> Get a PS4 for cheap.
> |>>
> |>> I disagree with this. If you have no money, who will buy the games? I think
> the
> |>> kids would appreciate an SNES classic when they have nothing already.
> |>>
> |>> @Admiral I wonder if those people who stick a smartphone in their kids hands
> at
>> 2
> |>> are praying for a reliable self-driving car to be on the roads in 14 years?
>>
>> Games are dirt cheap for used older PS4 games. Like $8 or less.
>
> That's cool, but it still doesn't answer the question of who will buy the games for
> the kids. MrBean said they have limited financial means.
>
> @MrBean just stick with your original idea of an SNES, modded or not.

He gets the kid a PS4 I'll buy him 3 good games to start.

Some R&C and other good ones.
Kblazer883
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader Has Written 2 Reviews
13-Dec-2017(#43)
longhornsk57 wrote:
> Kblazer883 wrote:
>> longhornsk57 wrote:
> |>> Kblazer883 wrote:
>> |>> longhornsk57 wrote:
> |>> |>> PS4.
> |>> |>>
> |>> |>> Fudge all the bullcrap, we would have all wanted this gen at that age, it's
>> just
>> |>> that
> |>> |>> SNES was it.
> |>> |>>
> |>> |>> Can you imagine if the SNES had been out for 4 years and your parents got
>> you
>> |>> an
> |>> |>> NES? fudge that.
> |>> |>>
> |>> |>> Get a PS4 for cheap.
>> |>>
>> |>> I disagree with this. If you have no money, who will buy the games? I think
>> the
>> |>> kids would appreciate an SNES classic when they have nothing already.
>> |>>
>> |>> @Admiral I wonder if those people who stick a smartphone in their kids hands
>> at
> |>> 2
>> |>> are praying for a reliable self-driving car to be on the roads in 14 years?
> |>>
> |>> Games are dirt cheap for used older PS4 games. Like $8 or less.
>>
>> That's cool, but it still doesn't answer the question of who will buy the games
> for
>> the kids. MrBean said they have limited financial means.
>>
>> @MrBean just stick with your original idea of an SNES, modded or not.
>
> He gets the kid a PS4 I'll buy him 3 good games to start.
>
> Some R&C and other good ones.

That's nice of you.
whitefire
GameTZ Subscriber 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
13-Dec-2017(#44)
Admiral wrote:
> I say a Wii. Controls are simple, no cords, and plenty of kids games. Then, they
> can graduate up to the Classic controller and some Mario, both 2D and 3D yes

Cheap AF too.

tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 3 Reviews
* 13-Dec-2017(#45)
Admiral wrote:
> longhornsk57 wrote:
>> PS4.
>>
>> Fudge all the bullcrap, we would have all wanted this gen at that age, it's just
> that
>> SNES was it.
>>
>> Can you imagine if the SNES had been out for 4 years and your parents got you
> an
>> NES? fudge that.
>>
>> Get a PS4 for cheap.
>
>
> I actually like this answer! lol
>
> I mean, can a 9 yr old handle a Dual Shock 4? Probably!!! 2 year olds know how to
> use iphones!!!
>
>

mine can handle dual shocks and xbox fine and they by no means have large hands. im not saying the kid can beat me yet if im trying, but if you relax a second your brains will be everywhere.


sailorneorune
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 3 Reviews
13-Dec-2017(#46)
whitefire wrote:
> Admiral wrote:
>> I say a Wii. Controls are simple, no cords, and plenty of kids games. Then, they
>> can graduate up to the Classic controller and some Mario, both 2D and 3D yes
>
> Cheap AF too.
>
>

Nintendo has great prices on reconditioned stock too. benstylus and I can make recommendations and help track down great Wii games. Otherwise, go for the SNES Classic Mini. 21 games is a great start.

KCPenguins
Gold Good Trader This user is on the site NOW (10 minutes ago)
13-Dec-2017(#47)
Can you even play PS4 games out of the box offline? Dirt poor grandma probably doesn't have high speed internet, and maybe not even a modern TV with HDMI.
longhornsk57
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
13-Dec-2017(#48)
KCPenguins wrote:
> Can you even play PS4 games out of the box offline? Dirt poor grandma probably doesn't
> have high speed internet, and maybe not even a modern TV with HDMI.

Yep, you can.
Sam
Quadruple Gold Good Trader Has Written 5 Reviews
13-Dec-2017(#49)
Definitely not a Wii unless you want him to grow up hating video games

EclipseLion
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
13-Dec-2017(#50)
Admiral wrote:
> EclipseLion wrote:
>> I started out with the Sega Genesis and Sonic Spinball
>>
>> So, I'd get him a Sega Genesis Flashback HD as his starter console.
>
> Or, he could get one of the older Genesis Clones from @games for less - and have
> the AV port instead of HDMI if that's important. I'm fairly certain, aside from a
> few game differences, they are the same. Not the worst idea yes
>
>> But I still think the Genesis would be the best overall route, as those games
> are
>> generally easy to understand, expect Phantasy Star IV...hopefully he won't click
>> that one heh heh
> |>
>
> PSIV is amazing!!!

Unfortunately, the older @games genesis consoles have abysmal music. Their HD console was the first and only console to finally get the music right.


MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
13-Dec-2017(#51)
haha, I love these responses. I have to state again, the Grandma ... is literally barely getting by. She won't ever have the money to pick up a $5 game here or there. They're on a very limited income. So I can't help but think buying something that is a gateway to having to buy more later ... which is kind of a dick move. "Oh hey, here ya go ... once he outgrows his limited library, go spend more money on crap you can't afford!" Although, it does open up the ability for my Mom to buy gifts down the line.

My biggest concern right now is can a kid of todays generation with no background in gaming, no internet access, no peers, etc. survive with an old school system? We did it, why can't they? Hell, if anything, it's the best way to learn IMO. I've already said my kid is gonna learn on NES/SNES before he's allowed to touch modern gaming!

Further, I think I should mod it, but maybe not go crazy and add ~200. Maybe add a select few (say 50 or so)?
Gypsy
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally This user is on the site NOW (9 minutes ago)
* 13-Dec-2017(#52)
MrBean wrote:
> haha, I love these responses. I have to state again, the Grandma ... is literally
> barely getting by. She won't ever have the money to pick up a $5 game here or there.
> They're on a very limited income. So I can't help but think buying something that
> is a gateway to having to buy more later ... which is kind of a dick move. "Oh hey,
> here ya go ... once he outgrows his limited library, go spend more money on crap
> you can't afford!" Although, it does open up the ability for my Mom to buy gifts
> down the line.
>

In this case definitely go with something like a DS + flash cart or a system like a Wii that can be easily hacked and have emulators added to it.The Wii can emulate a lot of older systems quite well.

SNES classic is fine, but a Wii is probably cheaper I'd think. Either way, real nice of you to do this. yes
lpeters82
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
13-Dec-2017(#53)
How about a tablet preloaded with apps, movies, music, comics, etc.
Scott
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
17-Dec-2017(#54)
@MrBean So what did you decide?

MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
17-Dec-2017(#55)
Honestly, haven't done anything yet. Think I'm just going to give him my SNES, with a handful of extra games loaded on it.
Scott
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
18-Dec-2017(#56)
I really think the SNES is the best option, I'm sure he'll love it. Very cool thing of you to do yes

MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
18-Dec-2017(#57)
Thanks dude. There's definitely part of me that says it's a badge of honor for him to start there in today's time/society, especially with no access to the internet.

The more I get to know their family, the more I realize how much I take for granted. I grew up on government assistance and now I live a pretty comfy life. Makes me want to do more for them.

Just horrible that this lady is taking care of her grandkids because her children gave up on their kids, kinda fudgeed up. Makes me super sad now being a parent myself.
Boss
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 700 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (8)
19-Dec-2017(#58)
I still like the idea of a DS Lite with a Flash Cart.

-The DS Lite is pretty cheap.
-Lots of Games to choose from.
-Don't need a TV.
-Don't need to buy batteries (just charge it).
-Can use cheat codes with a Flash Cards

While the SNES would be fun and something most of up grew up with there are son cons:
-Hoping he doesnt resell it
-Needs a TV to use -- if its a single family the TV may be in use.
-SNES games may be harder for this new generation of Gamers
egg
Double Gold Good Trader
19-Dec-2017(#59)
That is a good idea.
six
Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
19-Dec-2017(#60)
xbox 360 or wii. The wii has a solid line up, digital games and cheap games. The 360 has minecraft, lego games and another wide library thats cheap. Plus kids his age may have a 360 aswell so they can play online
Missile
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader This user is on the site NOW (4 minutes ago)
* 19-Dec-2017(#61)
MrBean wrote:
> The other option perhaps, track down a ~$100 DS bundle with a handful of games on
> eBay? Problem is, the Grandma literally wouldn't be able to buy anymore games, accessories,
> etc. Almost seems like a bad investment to buy something that would require future
> spend vs. the SNES is pretty much a done deal as-is.
>
> Your thoughts?
DS consoles and the games are generally pretty affordable, unless you want to get into the niche games like Solatorobo. SRW, or Infinite space that they probably wouldn't care about anyways. 100 bucks of that stuff could go a long way if you just buy a bunch of cart only games and some cheap cases, or a console with a preloaded R4.

Boss wrote:
> I still like the idea of a DS Lite with a Flash Cart.
>
> -The DS Lite is pretty cheap.
> -Lots of Games to choose from.
> -Don't need a TV.
> -Don't need to buy batteries (just charge it).
> -Can use cheat codes with a Flash Cards
>
> While the SNES would be fun and something most of up grew up with there are son cons:
> -Hoping he doesnt resell it
> -Needs a TV to use -- if its a single family the TV may be in use.
> -SNES games may be harder for this new generation of Gamers
I wouldn't recommend a DS lite though, spend an extra few more/less to buy any of the other DS's. DS lite has the absolute worst build quality imo, and probably wouldn't last for more than a few days in the hands of a kid.
EclipseLion
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 21-Dec-2017(#62)
If you got him a used DS, any DS, DS lite, DSi, DSi XL batteries are bound to be bad by now

Admiral
Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
22-Dec-2017(#63)
Except they're not winking raspberry
MentalVortex

(abandoned)
22-Dec-2017(#64)
Why is she a single grandma?
Missile
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader This user is on the site NOW (4 minutes ago)
22-Dec-2017(#65)
Admiral wrote:
> Except they're not winking raspberry
He's thinking about PSP.
HAMMER
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
22-Dec-2017(#66)
MentalVortex wrote:
> Why is she a single grandma?

Diabetes
MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
* 27-Jun-2018(#67)
So, I wanted to re-open this topic after finally moving on a few things.

We found a way through Spectrum to get low income internet - $15 a month for 35mb/s, not bad at all! I then proceeded to get them a few things - router (to remove the $5 wifi cost), Acer R11 2-in-1 Chromebook, nVidia Shield Tablet with controller, Firestick, Chromecast, Amazon Echo, SNES Mini and my Mom got her an S7.

To say that they were excited, is an understatement. They go from only ever having antenna TV with no internet, to having all kinds of awesome stuff.

Yet, now I want to potentially get him some more on the gaming end, probably for Xmas. He's obsessed with tablet right now as he can play quite a few games on there, but all his friends have Xbox/Playstation/etc. My problem with getting him a system is that they can't sustain any future purchases on their own. Still, it would give me/us something to get him from time to time.

He likes the SNES mini, but isn't keeping his attention. He's more consumed with the modern stuff on his tablet. I guess when you don't grow up with guidance/support, I can't envision a modern kid being into retro gaming when all they see is all this new flashy modern stuff.

My new question is this. Get him a current or previous gen system (PS3/Xbox 360)? I'm thinking previous purely because games are so insanely cheap. Could probably find a nice bundle somewhere that would totally keep him content for quite awhile. I actually have two PS3's and two 360's ... sitting on a shelf, collecting dust. Problem is though, the modern gaming (seems like all anyone talks about is Fortnite), would be more of a challenge. That he'd still be behind the crowd. Further, PS or Xbox for a 10 year old?

Am I overthinking this? Any feedback?

Thanks all
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 3 Reviews
* 27-Jun-2018(#68)
my kids have always preferred xbox, and fortnite is free, and you can get a base model xbox 1 pretty cheap. hes gonna want what his friends have and be able to play fortnite with them, its all the kids are doing, its bigger than minecraft. xbox and ps4 have been out long enough games can be had pretty cheap too.

ive had ps+ and xbox live for so long without interruption though im not even sure what you can do without them anymore. can he even fortnite without ps+ or xbl? so there is the matter of paying for xbl or ps+ in that case.

Archer
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
27-Jun-2018(#69)
If you decide to go with a PS3, PS4 or Xbox One I got you covered. I was just thinking this week about selling all three.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 3 Reviews
27-Jun-2018(#70)
Archer wrote:
> If you decide to go with a PS3, PS4 or Xbox One I got you covered. I was just thinking
> this week about selling all three.

really? with everything that's coming up? also might be interested in the x1 if Mr Bean doesn't go for it.

Archer
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
27-Jun-2018(#71)
tonymack21 wrote:
> Archer wrote:
>> If you decide to go with a PS3, PS4 or Xbox One I got you covered. I was just
> thinking
>> this week about selling all three.
>
> really? with everything that's coming up? also might be interested in the x1 if
> Mr Bean doesn't go for it.
>
>

I have multiple of everything. wink
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 3 Reviews
27-Jun-2018(#72)
Archer wrote:
> tonymack21 wrote:
>> Archer wrote:
> |>> If you decide to go with a PS3, PS4 or Xbox One I got you covered. I was just
>> thinking
> |>> this week about selling all three.
>>
>> really? with everything that's coming up? also might be interested in the x1
> if
>> Mr Bean doesn't go for it.
>>
>>
>
> I have multiple of everything. wink

Oh lol. Same..just gonna pick up another x1 at some point so the kids can each have one at their Grandma's. With my work schedule she helps me with them a lot.

MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
27-Jun-2018(#73)
tonymack21 wrote:
> my kids have always preferred xbox, and fortnite is free, and you can get a base
> model xbox 1 pretty cheap. hes gonna want what his friends have and be able to play
> fortnite with them, its all the kids are doing, its bigger than minecraft. xbox
> and ps4 have been out long enough games can be had pretty cheap too.
>
> ive had ps+ and xbox live for so long without interruption though im not even sure
> what you can do without them anymore. can he even fortnite without ps+ or xbl?
> so there is the matter of paying for xbl or ps+ in that case.
>
>

Shoot, good question about ability to play online.

Just looked: http://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/375667-fortni...

Yep, gotta pay for XBL, but not for PS+.

Still, I'm not sure buying current gen is the smart move. Legit, they have $0 extra to spend on anything, so this is on me. The kid really loves basketball, so getting him any kid of NBA 2K would be the ultimate. He's never even seen Fortnite before. I was over their house yesterday and he's like "all the kids talk about it, but I don't even know what it is!".

His grandma signed him up for baseball, and he has no one to teach him. He went to his first few practices and I guess he just did so bad.

This crap makes me so sad.
tonymack21
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 3 Reviews
27-Jun-2018(#74)
by 10 baseball is tough, ive coached my son since he was 3 and hes a stud, and occasionally we get some newbie's and its hard to come in at that age unless you're just an amazing athlete because so many of these kids have a huge head start playing so many years already.

ya if playing online with friends isn't an issue then maybe a ps360 might be alright for awhile, but some of the current gen stuff is already pretty cheap, early ps4 games have been out several years now and lots can be had cheap, but ps360 is super dirt cheap.

Sam
Quadruple Gold Good Trader Has Written 5 Reviews
27-Jun-2018(#75)
Sounds like somebody I knew once, damn
SwiftJAB
GameTZ Subscriber Double Gold Good Trader
27-Jun-2018(#76)
@MrBean I would recommend the Xbox One. If they're able to get online daily for a few minutes, someone in the fam can sign up for Bing rewards and they can earn points which they could use to get things like XBL subs, Gamepass subs, and XBL $. If they're diligent with it, they don't have to spend a dime on games, just some extra time. They might need a 3-6 month XBL sub to get started while they're racking up points.

From my experience, most 10 year-olds get sucked into 1 or 2 games for a significant amount of time. My nephew plays Roblox, a friend's son plays Fortnite, another plays Minecraft. These online games games just hold kids' attention so much more than the games I used to play as a kid.
PizzaTheHutt
Gold Good Trader Has Written 3 Reviews
* 27-Jun-2018(#77)
MrBean wrote:
> He's never even seen Fortnite before.
> I was over their house yesterday and he's like "all the kids talk about it, but I
> don't even know what it is!".


You said he has a tablet. There is a mobile version of Fortnite and it can even play online with PS4, Xbox One, PC and Switch players.

edit: I guess the mobile version is only on iOS for now. But an Android version is coming soon.
MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 300 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
* 3-Jul-2018(#78)
So, crazy enough ... I was insane and went and bought a new TV (showing up today). With it, I get 10% back (best buy) if I finance and pay bill in first 30 days. This gets me ~$400 back ... which is a PS4 Pro now that I have a 4k TV.

This now gives me the ability to pass down my PS4 to him. Now to grab a few games ... he's 10 and loves sports.

- 2nd controller
- Fortnite (free/download)
- NBA 2k18
- MLB The Show 18
- Little Big Planet 3

Any other must haves come to mind? The above + all the other stuff he now has, should keep him busy for quite some time!

Further, anyone have any of the above for sale, cheap?

Topic   Buying a kid his first video game system - what would you do?