Movies_Marketplace

Topic   Looking for Anime/Horror VHS Tapes!!

VirtualNightmare
Bronze Good Trader
12-Feb-2019(#1)
Mainly looking for anime OVA movies and 70's-90's horror movies. Let me know what you have for sale!
VirtualNightmare
Bronze Good Trader
12-Feb-2019(#2)
Bump!
bluemetal04
Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
23-Feb-2019(#3)
does Schindler's List count?

secret_defender
Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
23-Feb-2019(#4)
I buy vhs so if virtualnightmate doesn't want it check with me. Not interested in sc list.

Mostly interested in horror sci-fi martial arts 70s and 80s prints but will look at others.
bluemetal04
Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
24-Feb-2019(#5)
secret_defender wrote:
> I buy vhs so if virtualnightmate doesn't want it check with me. Not interested
> in sc list.
>
> Mostly interested in horror sci-fi martial arts 70s and 80s prints but will look
> at others.

I got Star Wars Trilogy for VHS if you're interested.

Yoshi
500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (11)
24-Feb-2019(#6)
I have both Vampire Hunter D movies on VHS, as well as the Street Fighter II and Samurai Shodown movies.
secret_defender
Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
24-Feb-2019(#7)
Pm bluemetal. No thanks yoshi.
VirtualNightmare
Bronze Good Trader
24-Feb-2019(#8)
Yoshi wrote:
> I have both Vampire Hunter D movies on VHS, as well as the Street Fighter II and
> Samurai Shodown movies.
PM'ed You!
VirtualNightmare
Bronze Good Trader
24-Feb-2019(#9)
Bump!
Kommie
Quadruple Gold Good Trader
25-Feb-2019(#10)
I have a VHS of Eraserhead.
secret_defender
Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
25-Feb-2019(#11)
No thanks
VirtualNightmare
Bronze Good Trader
26-Feb-2019(#12)
Bump!
Mr_Bing

5-Mar-2019(#13)
I've got Kickboxer, the Van Damme Classic! 👊🏻
dunno001
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
5-Mar-2019(#14)
Well if @VirtualNightmare , @secret_defender , or anyone else is interested, I have all 4 tapes of Sorceror Hunters Revenge available; I'd do the lot for $2.50 + shipping.

secret_defender
Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
5-Mar-2019(#15)
No thanks to mr bing and dunno.
Gypsy
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
5-Mar-2019(#16)
secret_defender wrote:
> I buy vhs so if virtualnightmate doesn't want it check with me. Not interested
> in sc list.
>
> Mostly interested in horror sci-fi martial arts 70s and 80s prints but will look
> at others.

So I'm curious do you seek out movies that aren't on DVD/BD or is it more of a just cuz/nostalgia thing?
VirtualNightmare
Bronze Good Trader
6-Mar-2019(#17)
Gypsy wrote:
> secret_defender wrote:
>> I buy vhs so if virtualnightmate doesn't want it check with me. Not interested
>> in sc list.
>>
>> Mostly interested in horror sci-fi martial arts 70s and 80s prints but will look
>> at others.
>
> So I'm curious do you seek out movies that aren't on DVD/BD or is it more of a just
> cuz/nostalgia thing?
For Me I collect most of the VHS because they were never ported over to DVD/BD,But having them on vhs os a plus for the nostalgia factor.

VirtualNightmare
Bronze Good Trader
6-Mar-2019(#18)
dunno001 wrote:
> Well if @VirtualNightmare , @secret_defender , or anyone else is interested, I have
> all 4 tapes of Sorceror Hunters Revenge available; I'd do the lot for $2.50 + shipping.
>
>
Thanks for offering @dunno001 but I'll pass,I appreciate the offer though.
Gypsy
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
6-Mar-2019(#19)
VirtualNightmare wrote:
> Gypsy wrote:
>> secret_defender wrote:
> |>> I buy vhs so if virtualnightmate doesn't want it check with me. Not interested
> |>> in sc list.
> |>>
> |>> Mostly interested in horror sci-fi martial arts 70s and 80s prints but will look
> |>> at others.
>>
>> So I'm curious do you seek out movies that aren't on DVD/BD or is it more of a
> just
>> cuz/nostalgia thing?
> For Me I collect most of the VHS because they were never ported over to DVD/BD,But
> having them on vhs os a plus for the nostalgia factor.
>
>

yes

I've actually got a good capture card coming in tomorrow to digitize and better preserve some VHS and LD I have that don't have a DVD/BD release or the DVD is bad/cut content etc...
VirtualNightmare
Bronze Good Trader
6-Mar-2019(#20)
Gypsy wrote:
> VirtualNightmare wrote:
>> Gypsy wrote:
> |>> secret_defender wrote:
>> |>> I buy vhs so if virtualnightmate doesn't want it check with me. Not interested
>> |>> in sc list.
>> |>>
>> |>> Mostly interested in horror sci-fi martial arts 70s and 80s prints but will
> look
>> |>> at others.
> |>>
> |>> So I'm curious do you seek out movies that aren't on DVD/BD or is it more of
> a
>> just
> |>> cuz/nostalgia thing?
>> For Me I collect most of the VHS because they were never ported over to DVD/BD,But
>> having them on vhs os a plus for the nostalgia factor.
>>
>>
>
> yes
>
> I've actually got a good capture card coming in tomorrow to digitize and better preserve
> some VHS and LD I have that don't have a DVD/BD release or the DVD is bad/cut content
> etc...
That's a smart move! I should really look into getting a capture card myself.
The time is now to preserve this kind of media for the next coming generations.
secret_defender
Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
6-Mar-2019(#21)
I either watch them or resell them. Sometimes I get dvds to resell too. There are still many of us around that use them not to transfer it just does not appear that way.
SirCorn

6-Mar-2019(#22)
Kommie wrote:
> I have a VHS of Eraserhead.
Holy crap, would you like to check my list and see if we can work something out?
SirCorn

6-Mar-2019(#23)
I have:

Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla (sealed), Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 (English Dub), Dragonball Z The Movie: The World's Strongest (English Sub), Dragonball Z: The History of Trunks (English Dub), Dragonball Z: Broly the Legendary Super Saiyan (English Dub, big box)

I don't know what all you are looking for but I can check through the rest of the collection as well. It might be hard getting the DBZ tapes from me lol
Kommie
Quadruple Gold Good Trader
7-Mar-2019(#24)
SirCorn wrote:
> Kommie wrote:
>> I have a VHS of Eraserhead.
> Holy crap, would you like to check my list and see if we can work something out?

Haha, it looks like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eraserhead-VHS-NTSC-David...

I currently have no idea where it is right now. In a box somewhere. Hard to gauge it's value though.
VirtualNightmare
Bronze Good Trader
7-Mar-2019(#25)
SirCorn wrote:
> I have:
>
> Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla (sealed), Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 (English Dub), Dragonball
> Z The Movie: The World's Strongest (English Sub), Dragonball Z: The History of Trunks
> (English Dub), Dragonball Z: Broly the Legendary Super Saiyan (English Dub, big box)
>
> I don't know what all you are looking for but I can check through the rest of the
> collection as well. It might be hard getting the DBZ tapes from me lol
PM'ed You!
BluesideL
Double Gold Good Trader
8-Mar-2019(#26)
Gypsy wrote:
> VirtualNightmare wrote:
>> Gypsy wrote:
> |>> secret_defender wrote:
>> |>> I buy vhs so if virtualnightmate doesn't want it check with me. Not interested
>> |>> in sc list.
>> |>>
>> |>> Mostly interested in horror sci-fi martial arts 70s and 80s prints but will
> look
>> |>> at others.
> |>>
> |>> So I'm curious do you seek out movies that aren't on DVD/BD or is it more of
> a
>> just
> |>> cuz/nostalgia thing?
>> For Me I collect most of the VHS because they were never ported over to DVD/BD,But
>> having them on vhs os a plus for the nostalgia factor.
>>
>>
>
> yes
>
> I've actually got a good capture card coming in tomorrow to digitize and better preserve
> some VHS and LD I have that don't have a DVD/BD release or the DVD is bad/cut content
> etc...


Which capture card are you getting?
Gypsy
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
8-Mar-2019(#27)
@BluesideL I went with a Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro. Unfortunately on the used one I got, the HDMI input isn't working right. I could still use it but on principle I don't really want to keep it so I filed a return on eBay and I'll have to try another unit.
SirCorn

8-Mar-2019(#28)
Kommie wrote:
> SirCorn wrote:
>> Kommie wrote:
> |>> I have a VHS of Eraserhead.
>> Holy crap, would you like to check my list and see if we can work something out?
>
> Haha, it looks like this one:
>
>
> I currently have no idea where it is right now. In a box somewhere. Hard to gauge
> it's value though.

I can tell you that I would value it for a pretty sweet trade if you found anything you wanted for it and took the time to find it. I don't want you to try to look for it though if I don't have anything that peaks your interest!
SirCorn

8-Mar-2019(#29)
@VirtualNightmare Sorry for hijacking your thread! lol
Kommie
Quadruple Gold Good Trader
8-Mar-2019(#30)
SirCorn wrote:
> Kommie wrote:
>> SirCorn wrote:
> |>> Kommie wrote:
>> |>> I have a VHS of Eraserhead.
> |>> Holy crap, would you like to check my list and see if we can work something out?
>>
>> Haha, it looks like this one:
>>
>>
>> I currently have no idea where it is right now. In a box somewhere. Hard to gauge
>> it's value though.
>
> I can tell you that I would value it for a pretty sweet trade if you found anything
> you wanted for it and took the time to find it. I don't want you to try to look for
> it though if I don't have anything that peaks your interest!


I didn't see anything
Gypsy
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
8-Mar-2019(#31)
SirCorn wrote:
> @VirtualNightmare Sorry for hijacking your thread! lol

I can't speak for the OP of course but from my general experience most people that are into old video formats tend to welcome any and all discussion about it.

What VCRs do you guys have?

I've got: JVC S3600U, Panasonic AG-W1, JVC DR-MV150 and a Mitsubishi SVHS deck that I don't remember the model of (it's boxed up currently). I'm pretty pleased with all of them though the Panasonic is tempting to sell because of how much it eBays for in this condition (fully functional and the front hinge control thing not busted up).

The JVC DR is a DVD recorder combo unit that I can't recommend enough. It performs black magic voodoo on modern displays without any extra help. It also has a great comb filter in it so even a cheap one that won't play tapes and/or dvds is worth it as a pass through device imo.
VirtualNightmare
Bronze Good Trader
8-Mar-2019(#32)
SirCorn wrote:
> @VirtualNightmare Sorry for hijacking your thread! lol
No Worries bro I'm glad your able to find some stuff that peaks your interest! (:
secret_defender
Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
8-Mar-2019(#33)
Checking the link. It looks like Eraserhead was made and released outside the usa (the 18 logo on front gives that away usually this is pal vhs). Since it says NTSC i would guess Canada. Since it's 1977 film, it could have value but this one in the pic doesn't look like it to me looks more like a reprint. Horror is top of the line specially odd ones but reprints go for way less. I doubt this specific one is worth 30 according to collectors, it's probably more like half or less than half in my opinion. If the horror is too old it really has low low value such as public domain like the old monster movies. It's possible it could be the only print of the film, i'm not familiar with this one; some films made before 1979 never got released right away.

Gypsy - looking up those model nos in my vcr database, it shows no record which means it's odd model no or the unit is no good mechanically. I don't know about the svhs deck. If have auto tracking or plastic housing these for the most part are terrible units mechanically. Few reasons not all reasons: Auto tracks almost all of them except the commerical units don't have all the settings to correctly play all tapes, they are also picky about used blank tapes recorded usually not playing them right unless recorded from that specific unit (seen this many times). They also go so many miles and that's it. Combos are really bad and won't hold up among use i'm not talking here and there, seen so many fail right off the shelves new it was crazy; vcr dvd combos; now dual decks 2 vhs in one are different and will hold up for awhile among heavy use; i used to copy alot and had a few they ran some years before dieing running constantly. The good JVCs are the 1980s with HR in the model no. In my opinion if the one you have sells and you don't use it i would sell it on ebay, selling out in the wild doesn't work anymore or rarely. Might try Mercari too not sure how vhs/vcrs do there cause no one has much of the better ones except the horror but there are hundreds of disney freaks there for commons if the view counts are correct. Congrats if your combo is one of the few good ones but i never seen a good one vcr/dvd combo that was great; a commerical unit maybe?

I currently just have 1 now since no longer copy, it's built like a tank 1980s top load Philco which is the same thing as Panasonic 1980s just a different name. VCRS are just like cars some are built the same mechanically just a different name on it likely built by the same company. Number 2 best built vcr, i forget what is number 1 but i do know number 1 is way more expensive to get than this Panasonic. My dvd player is a cheap panasonic though i may sell it i don't really use it i can play dvds on my computer.

No thanks on the movies listed. Might on Eraserhead if it didn't look like it does in the picture.
Gypsy
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
8-Mar-2019(#34)
secret_defender wrote:
>
> Gypsy - looking up those model nos in my vcr database, it shows no record which means
> it's odd model no or the unit is no good mechanically. I don't know about the svhs
> deck. If have auto tracking or plastic housing these for the most part are terrible
> units mechanically. Few reasons not all reasons: Auto tracks almost all of them
> except the commerical units don't have all the settings to correctly play all tapes,
> they are also picky about used blank tapes recorded usually not playing them right
> unless recorded from that specific unit (seen this many times). They also go so
> many miles and that's it. Combos are really bad and won't hold up among use i'm
> not talking here and there, seen so many fail right off the shelves new it was crazy;
> vcr dvd combos; now dual decks 2 vhs in one are different and will hold up for awhile
> among heavy use; i used to copy alot and had a few they ran some years before dieing
> running constantly. The good JVCs are the 1980s with HR in the model no. In my
> opinion if the one you have sells and you don't use it i would sell it on ebay, selling
> out in the wild doesn't work anymore or rarely. Might try Mercari too not sure how
> vhs/vcrs do there cause no one has much of the better ones except the horror but
> there are hundreds of disney freaks there for commons if the view counts are correct.
> Congrats if your combo is one of the few good ones but i never seen a good one
> vcr/dvd combo that was great; a commerical unit maybe?
>
> I currently just have 1 now since no longer copy, it's built like a tank 1980s top
> load Philco which is the same thing as Panasonic 1980s just a different name. VCRS
> are just like cars some are built the same mechanically just a different name on
> it likely built by the same company. Number 2 best built vcr, i forget what is
> number 1 but i do know number 1 is way more expensive to get than this Panasonic.
> My dvd player is a cheap panasonic though i may sell it i don't really use it i
> can play dvds on my computer.
>

Your own database tracking models with an excel spreadsheet or something like that?

The first JVC is an SVHS deck as well. It has auto-tracking that works amazingly well, I'll ride it until it dies. It's my favorite of what I have currently. The full model name is HR-S3600U, I was going off memory earlier but I'm home now and checked.

I won't disagree that the combo units are really fragile. You will find a bunch with one or both halves broken but the guts in that thing are so good and help tremendously when not watching on a CRT (blasphemy). Since it has a composite input it can be used just for the comb filter and internal scaling which I've found to be better than that of the TVs I have used it on but admittedly I don't have a bunch of high end newer displays. It's also a DVD recorder and heavy as hell.

The Panasonic AG-W1 is insane it will play any region tape. The one I have was used in a TV commercial editing studio for a long time, then by another guy before it got passed to me. Some of the caps are going on an internal amp but it's otherwise fantastic which reminds me I need to just remove those caps.

My biggest regret is donating a couple pro grade old Sony VCRs I had. Those things were battlecruisers with bnc connectors. They probably are still working unless the thrift store threw them out.

Rebranding happens across electronics in general. Different regions will have different companies sub-licensing stuff. I have a stand alone external scaler that is a weird rebadge that even had it's own special firmware. Which was actually kind of annoying because it wouldn't support the firmware I wanted. When I contacted their old CS guy he was surprised I even found one, said they only made a very small number for a company at a few locations.
secret_defender
Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
10-Mar-2019(#35)
I made the database myself in notepad. Gathering what info I could find and my experience. I'll sell you a copy of it if you like. Sold it a few times on ebay. You or anyone else can view it there.

You mention caps. I would quit running it if you suspect bad caps if I were you unless it's just the lights. You can replace caps but if they blow odds are can't be fixed. Caps usually start to make noise before blowing. Its not worth checking them just replace. Well worth price of caps and soldering to fix it.

First vcrs were 2 separate pieces next they used dials instead of buttons. You don't really want these to actually use.

Topic   Looking for Anime/Horror VHS Tapes!!