I think I fixed it. For now, at least.
The general problem GTZ is facing is that this is an old website and we used an older character encoding (ISO-8859-1) which has become unpopular. Most newer technology has standardized on UTF-8 character encoding. For the most part, it's not a problem because GTZ avoids using any special characters. So, the subset of characters actually being using is the same for both of these character sets and thus it just works when I mix software component that use UTF-8 with my code.
But, iso 11 sending special apostrophes that end up in user input sent to GTZ's server tickles this problem. GTZ encodes the apostrophes with ISO-8859-1, but the framework it uses for the mobile site (jQuery Mobile) uses UTF-8.
Now, a page should never freeze like you're seeing, so this does boil down to a bug in jQuery Mobile: https://bugs.jqueryui.com/ticket/9518
Potentially, I could/should convert GameTZ to UTF-8 and these problems would all be fixed. But, I suspect it's not that simple. It's kind of terrifying, to be honest. There are a number of layers to the site (e.g. code is written in Perl which has an encoding, web-server itself may do something with encoding, the database system surely uses an encoding and has 20 years of text in it, the app likely has its own way of doing all this too, etc.)
Fixing bugs like this 1-by-1 by forcing each case to work isn't good either. I basically replace the special characters in many places, but just the ones I find for that case and there are likely many more places that would need it, but that's a clear sign it's the wrong way to fix it.
Anyway, I may try to take this UTF-8 conversion on and see if it's feasible. We'll see.
You probably don't understand what I'm talking about. This is as much a note to myself as anything.