NO PARTICULAR ORDER NECESSARY.
For me, it has to be:Star Ocean 4
- Loved this game, but only got to the second planet before finding out there were like 4 more and it took forever just to beat the first. I intended on finishing it but life got in the way.Super Mario Galaxy 2
- Fantastic game, but my Wii caught on fire and I lost everything. I was more than halfway done, and just never found the will to pick it back up and start over.Wild Arms
- Just got to a certain point and never finished. Tried to pick it up again years later, starting over and repeated history. No good reason for this.Cave SMHUPs
- Ibara, Mushihimesama, you name it. I love them all but never do get very far.Battletoads
- I've yet to meet anyone in person who can get past those damn hoverbikes.Friday the 13th (NES)
- Have a soft spot for this one from childhood, and I've only ever met 1 person who could beat this.Flashback
- Whether Sega CD, SNES, Genesis or you name it. One of my most lifelong favorites and I could never beat this one part near the end to this day. I probably should look up a youtube or something on this, but I've always just got near that point and used a code to skip lol.Paladin's Quest
- Ok, this one I've never even powered on. Now, I've got a lot of games I'ver never powered on but never had as much of a weird connection as I do with Paladin's Quest. I've had it for years and just love the cover and art style. I don't even know if I'll hate it or not because I will probably never play it and I've had my copy since the 90s.Xybots
- I'm not sure if this counts or not, but I played it on Lynx and arcade and never got anywhere near finishing as far as I know. I'm not even sure if this ends.Wario Land (Virtual Boy)
- I adore this game, but another one where life got int he way, then sold my VB and never finished it.
It's simple math. If you didn't finish a game then that means, to you, that game sucks. As it means that you evidently feel that the game wasn't worth finishing. The only exceptions are:
1) Your console stopped working, game stolen, house caught on fire, etc. Or you died in a car accident, or got married and had kids. It can be argued however that so long as you are alive and still a gamer, effort can be made toward going back and finishing that game you supposedly liked so much.
2) It's a game that cannot be finished such as Sim City series. But you still have to commit a certain amount. What amount is entirely subjective but it definitely can't just be something you played for five minutes and go "oh, neat"
3) You got stuck in the game, or something else about the game is preventing you from progressing any further in it. You're off the hook since it wasn't you that prevented yourself from doing so. In such a case it is possible to still like the game, but it's rare. But in such instances you must treat that as the entire game.
OP is mixing reasons. He lists Battletoads (impossible difficulty) and even a house fire destroyed his Wii. (Well I'll be damned!) But some of the games he listed like Wild Arms, it's obvious that the game just isn't very good, and he simply has yet to face it. "No good reason for this".. Yeah.. a complete mystery..
I have some of my own actually. Need for Prostreet. One of the best tuner games I played. But drift mode can go screw itself. I beat the drag, grip, and speed kings, and the final boss in 3 out of 4 disciplines. I seemed to be doing fine in the drift events for most of the game, but after a while they started to become obscene. How I tried, though. Still a great game.
Ridge Racer Unbounded was almost one. If you don't score high enough in events, you don't unlock the next one. So at certain points it was like. "Well, that's it I guess". I treated it as done and started playing something else. I ended up revisited the game a couple of times, not to try and beat it, but just to check it out or try the track editor. The game has a certain mystique to it and I felt it's just nice to be in it. But during one of these revisits I ended up beating it. Oops.
> Neverwinter Nights. Got up to Act 5 of the main story at least three times, but I
> kept wandering off, playing custom modules, etc. And every time I got back I have
> to start over.
Honestly the main story is pretty weak. NWN2 is loads better iirc.
Metroid Prime 1 was awesome, especially the music. Easily my favorite GC game.
Prime could also trigger a different, yet similar, list - Game series that I started and loved the first game/2, but never got around to playing others in the series.
For me that would include:
Metroid Prime - beat/loved 1, own 2 and 3, never touched 'em.
Assassin's Creed - beat and enjoyed 1, even collected all the stuff, only missed 1 achievement - purchased 2, Unity for like $2 and Syndicate, got just about all the rest between 1 and Syndicate from GwG, never touched a single one.
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - beat and enjoyed the first, got some DLC for it, but didn't play that DLC. Grabbed 2 eventually, never touched.
God of War - beat 1, eventually gave 2 a shot getting over 80% through it before hitting a section I kept dying at, gave up. Own the Saga collection as well as 1-3 individually.
Shining Force 2: I've beaten Shining Force 1, CD, SF3 and Shining Force GBA but not this one. I've played it to the end and had a meh party and couldn't beat the final boss. I've restarted a few times but can't seem to stay with it to finish it.
Wizardry 5 Snes: Big Wizardry series fan. Got pretty far in this one. Had an awesome party. Loaned it to my neighbor's 12yr old kid and he deleted my save. He was crapting his pants when he gave it back to me. This was 18 years ago and I haven't fired it back up since
Dragon Force :Beautiful battle scenes! I do fairly well early on/mid game then get bogged down in a grind fest and I lose interest. I really need to beat it once.
Dark Wizard: love the hex based strategy aspect. But later on you need this item and to make this type of character to get to this area. Blah! Not sure I have the patience but I have a friend who's beaten is probably 50+ times so instead of using Gamefaqs I'll just use him instead for help.
I'm a sucker for RPGs, but they be long.
Shining Force II
Legend of Dragoon (made it to disc 3 before losing my memory card)
Final Fantasy III (6 in Japan)
Ni No Kuni
Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie
Ninja Gaiden 2 (NES) There was one damn jump that had a spawning enemy I could never get past.
Solomon's Key (NES) This one is tough, but a gem. I think the furthest I made it was to a stage in the low 40's .
Battletoads (NES) I can make it past the speeder bikes by either using the warp or beating the stage, but I can't get much further.
Castlevania Dracula X (SNES) Never played it until Wii U VC, no longer have the patience to beat it. Would have enjoyed it as a kid.
DBZ Tenkaichi 2 & 3 (Wii) I really enjoyed the games, but I got my ass handed to me regularly in story mode. Never made it very far.
Hollow Knight (Switch) Haven't been able to beat the boss, tried to go back and get more power ups and got stuck in a horrific platforming area. Got back to the boss sans any power ups and haven't played it much since. Love this game though.
> I don't recall drac x being too long. Played through it on pce again last year.
Got stuck in one area, didn't have the patience to get through it.