VideoGame_Discussion

Topic   Nintendo discussion

citizen_zane
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
20-Oct-2016(#1)
This topic had many older posts which were moved here:

http://gametz.com/VideoGame_Discussion/nintendo-di...

















Originally created to share Nintendo friend codes and talk about the Nintendo Switch, this topic has now been broadened to the discussion of all things Nintendo. I'm still keeping the list updated here, so if you want to be added or make any changes, please PM me and I'll adjust the list.



Updated 10/27/21

image

bonham2
600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 2 Reviews
13-Sep(#2)
Scott wrote:

>
> They STILL didn't announce WW/TP ports lol

Or the heavily rumored Metroid Prime Remastered or Metroid Prime Trilogy HD. If rumors are correct, one or both of those have been done for years.
MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
13-Sep(#3)
They should have at least given a teaser to SOMETHING Metroid related. How disappointing.

Hell, they'd make a killing just converting Samus Returns to Switch (which I'd love to replay), which I'd assume is not a massive undertaking.

Nintendo continues to baffle me with their poor decisions.
bonham2
600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 2 Reviews
13-Sep(#4)
Also, I was hoping for a new release date or maybe even a stealth release of Advance Wars 1 & 2. That one is killing my GTZ Fantasy Gaming bracket.
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 2 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (7 minutes ago)
13-Sep(#5)
bonham2 wrote:
> We already knew BotW2 was coming out, but it was nice to get a title and release
> date (fudging May???)
>
> But what about all the Metroid Prime and Zelda rumors. No Zelda in 2022, no 3D Mario
> in over 5 years (and nothing even announced). I was happy about Pikmin 4. And I'm
> sure Bayonetta 3 will be great. BUT...
>
> Way too much farming, dancing, and anime style. Honestly, I hate anime, and it seems
> like Switch has become an almost strictly anime console.

Yeah, this is starting to get old for me. It feels like they're really slowing down on the core Nintendo franchises we love and look forward to. The first 2-3 years of the Switch were great and stacked with tons of big name games, but it's really slowed down since then. Almost every Direct they've done for the last couple years now, I finish watching it and basically think "well, they announced a lot of stuff, so that's good...unfortunately hardly any of it was for me." Where's a new 3D Mario game? Like you said, it's been 5 years since Odyssey. They could easily make a sequel and re-use a ton of the assets from the first. Where's 2D Mario? The last one was NSMBU which released in 2012, then ported to Switch in 2019! A 2D Mario game with Cappy could be incredible! Then there's Mario Kart...we all know the story there. It's nice that we're getting new tracks at least, but we are LONG overdue for a brand new entry. Zelda....Breath of the Wild was a launch title. Since then, all we've gotten were a remaster and (basically) a port. Plus nothing at all this year, like you pointed out. Where are the WW/TP ports that everyone wants and they could clearly do? What about 2D Zelda, are they done making new titles in that style? Where are the Metroid Prime ports that we know they are sitting on? Is F-Zero every going to make a return? Will we ever get a good Star Fox game again? What about Donkey Kong Country? Or a new Yoshi game? I've been patient for a while, but I'm about tired of this. Most of my gametime on Switch for a while now has been 3rd party stuff.
KCPenguins
Gold Good Trader
13-Sep(#6)
I thought the direct was great, and I don't care for RPGs or farming games. Then again I went into it not expecting anything, so it's hard to be disappointed.

I wonder if this is the same Pikmin 4 that was supposedly close to being done back in what, 2014?
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 2 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (7 minutes ago)
13-Sep(#7)
Dusk wrote:
> Scott wrote:
>> The finale was just a BotW2 video that gave us a 5 second glimpse of the game,
> revealed
>> the official name "Tears of the Kingdom", and pushed the release date back yet
> again,
>> this time to 5/12/23. That was pretty disappointing. I was excited as soon as
> it
>> started, thinking they were finally going to show off a more substantial preview
>> of the game, but nope.
>>
>> They STILL didn't announce WW/TP ports lol
>
> Probably saving it for when they announce yet another delay for the new one lol.

lol probably
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 2 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (7 minutes ago)
13-Sep(#8)
MrBean wrote:
> Hell, they'd make a killing just converting Samus Returns to Switch (which I'd love
> to replay), which I'd assume is not a massive undertaking.

After Yoshi's Woolly World, that's my most wanted Switch port. I freaking loved Samus Returns, and would love to be able to re-play it on Switch.
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 2 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (7 minutes ago)
13-Sep(#9)
I skimmed through the Direct again, these were the highlights (IMO):

Fire Emblem Engage
Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - Expansion Pass Wave 2
Tunic - Coming to Switch 9/27/22
Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life - Summer 2023
Splatoon 3 - first Splatfest announcement: What would you bring to a deserted island? Gear/Grub/Fun
Octopath Traveler II
Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope - 10/20/22
NSO New N64 games coming (Mario Party 1-3, Pokemon Stadium 1+2, Pilotwings 64, Excitebike 64, Goldeneye 007 w/ online play)
Mario Strikers: Battle League - 2nd free update available this month (Pauline, Diddy Kong, more gear, new stadium)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass Wave 3 coming holiday 2022
Nintendo Switch Sports - Golf update
Pikmin 4 announced
Bayonetta 3 - more gameplay footage, available 10/28/22
Resident Evil 7 Village Cloud + Biohazard, 2, and 3, all Cloud
Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - coming 5/12/23
KCPenguins
Gold Good Trader
* 13-Sep(#10)
I'm really excited for Goldeneye, but I really hate playing n64 games with a standard controller. I see the n64 Switch controller, which I had no interest in prior to this announcement, is still sold out.

I wonder if this means the all but confirmed remake for Xbox will be coming next?
Cevil
Gold Good Trader
13-Sep(#11)
Fire Emblem and Octopath 2 is all I really cared about.
KCPenguins
Gold Good Trader
* 13-Sep(#12)
KCPenguins wrote:
> I'm really excited for Goldeneye, but I really hate playing n64 games with a standard
> controller. I see the n64 Switch controller, which I had no interest in prior to
> this announcement, is still sold out.
>
> I wonder if this means the all but confirmed remake for Xbox will be coming next?


https://www.polygon.com/23350907/goldeneye-xbox-ga...

"According to a news release by Rare, its iconic 1997 FPS will now include achievements, 4K resolutions, and a smoother frame rate on Xbox. GoldenEye 007 will also get online multiplayer, at least on the Nintendo Switch version. Rare says that online multiplayer is exclusive to Nintendo's console."

Strange. I wonder if the Xbox version will update the controls as well?
Dusk
450 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
* 13-Sep(#13)
KCPenguins wrote:
> KCPenguins wrote:
>> I'm really excited for Goldeneye, but I really hate playing n64 games with a standard
>> controller. I see the n64 Switch controller, which I had no interest in prior
> to
>> this announcement, is still sold out.
>>
>> I wonder if this means the all but confirmed remake for Xbox will be coming next?
>
>
>
> "According to a news release by Rare, its iconic 1997 FPS will now include achievements,
> 4K resolutions, and a smoother frame rate on Xbox. GoldenEye 007 will also get online
> multiplayer, at least on the Nintendo Switch version. Rare says that online multiplayer
> is exclusive to Nintendo's console."
>
> Strange. I wonder if the Xbox version will update the controls as well?
Ugh, that will suck if there are two different versions. I wouldn't be above buying both in that case, but was hoping for one definitive version. If anything, I would probably be happy with the original with online play, but would be nice to have a nicer framerate and stuff too. Guess sony's out on this completely?
proudtobelatino
Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
13-Sep(#14)
i got a little excited for the Mario Party games, but can you even play with 4 people online on the Switch N64 plan?
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
13-Sep(#15)
I dunno, I sorta feel like that was one of the stronger Directs in quite a while.

Pumped for:

PIKMIN 4 - EASILY the most I'm looking forward to a new game. Oh my god I am so friggin happy. That's that, gonna re-start Pikmin 3 tonight.

The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Essentially just a name reveal but I am so gosh darn ready for this game. Feed it to me already, Nintendo.

Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life - My all-time favorite HM game... I didn't realize how much I missed it until I saw the footage during the Direct. I put HOURS into that game on Gamecube, cannot wait. Not sure if "Story of Seasons" is a remake/port or something new, but I'm in.

Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope - Still haven't beat the first, but after a long window of time, I grew to really enjoy it. This sequel looks way better than the first, so I'm in.

Nintendo 64 - PILOT WINGS 64 LETS GOOOOO. POKEMON STADIUM 1 & 2 LETS GOOOOOO. 1080 SNOWBOARDING LETS GOOOOOO!

GOLDENEYE - As folks have mentioned, this HASN'T aged well at all since the 90s, however I feel that's due to the control scheme. FPS have just come such a long way as far as controls go, Goldeneye seems like a relic. I HAVE to believe that will be updated for Switch, and if that's the case, I'm 100% in.


Somewhat looking forward to:

Octopath Traveler II - Should probably finally play the first, I've had it for long enough. I love the look of the game, but haven't sunk my teeth into it yet. Sequel looks very pretty too.

Theatryhthm: Final Bar Line - Could be neat, looks pretty fun.

Various Daylife - Looks sort of like a "paint by numbers" RPG just to push something out, but if it's fun, I'll give it a go. Apparently drops today.

Factorial - I love the look of this game, could be a good time-passer.

Harvestella - Sucker for the Autumn season, and this looks to be a JRPG revolving around it. Downloading the demo now to see what's up.
KCPenguins
Gold Good Trader
* 13-Sep(#16)
theJaw wrote:
> GOLDENEYE - As folks have mentioned, this HASN'T aged well at all since the 90s,
> however I feel that's due to the control scheme. FPS have just come such a long way
> as far as controls go, Goldeneye seems like a relic. I HAVE to believe that will
> be updated for Switch, and if that's the case, I'm 100% in.
>
>


It's coming via NES Online expansion, so it's highly unlikely it will be changed aside from online play.

Mario Kart 64 is on there, right? How does MP MK64 work? Is it friends only and still splitscreen?

Xbox is getting a slightly upgraded version of Goldeneye, but they didn't mention anything about controls. I find it very strange that the Xbox port won't have online play, confirmed by Rare.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 13-Sep(#17)
They're gonna have to change some stuff up, at the very least so it maps to the Switch controller right? I'm just hopeful they put a bit of work in to make it transfer cleaner. There are mods online that make Goldeneye playable by today's standards, hopefully Nintendo does SOMEthing.
KCPenguins
Gold Good Trader
* 13-Sep(#18)
theJaw wrote:
> They're gonna have to change some stuff up, at the very least so it maps to the Switch
> controller right? I'm just hopeful they put a bit of work in to make it transfer
> cleaner. There are mods online that make Goldeneye playable by today's standards,
> hopefully Nintendo does SOMEthing.


There are options to change your control style in the game itself, and you can change the button mapping in the Switch menu, but I haven't found a good control scheme on the joycons or a pro controller that works well for many n64 games unfortunately. Won't stop me from trying again whenever this gets released. I'm hoping "soon" means Friday.
MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
13-Sep(#19)
NO ODDJOB!

haha, man the amount of times that had to be called out ...
benstylus
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 26 Reviews
13-Sep(#20)
I thought the direct had more to like than to dislike.

Though I do wish Nintendo would tone down the anime visuals of Fire Emblem. Something about modern 3D anime characters is just really off-putting to me.

Highlights for me were Fist of the North Star Fitness Boxing (LOL, yes anime but it's the older style), Radiant Silvergun, and a Deluxe version of the best Kirby game of all time full stop.

Lowlights are all the farm games, Sega's new whatzit procedurally generated dungeon crawl, and Resident Evil Cloud versions (pay full price for a game with a guaranteed expiration date!)

beavis
250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
* 13-Sep(#21)
Bummed about no info on Advance Wars. RE would have been a bigger announcement for me had I not bought a PS5 and played them on there. Also not a fan of cloud gaming but understand it's more a way to get around tech limitations than being nickel and dimed.

Excited about N64 announcement, especially if they remap the controller for goldeneye. I believe it hasn't aged well only because of that, the core game is still a blast to play. Not sure what else first party we could get out of the service that I would want other than maybe a Rush game or a blast Corps.

New Zelda looked good for what limited stuff we saw. Depending on price I wouldn't mind playing the front mission games. I play 2 on PSX back in the day and enjoyed it but never finished it. Sifu looks interesting as well.
MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
* 13-Sep(#23)
Goldeneye coming to Game Pass as well. Online exclusive to Switch

https://www.007.com/goldeneye-007-coming-to-ninten...
Otaku100
Gold Good Trader
* 13-Sep(#24)
I just bought Kirby's Return to Dreamland, and I've been waiting for it to arrive this week... Oh well...

Not much else I was really excited for; I may pick back up Fatal Frame 4 since it's finally getting a U.S. release, and I might try the new Theatrythm game, but I'm not that excited about either one.

Edit: Oh yeah, I might also try Radiant Silvergun.
PizzaTheHutt
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader Has Written 3 Reviews
13-Sep(#25)
KCPenguins wrote:
> Mario Kart 64 is on there, right? How does MP MK64 work? Is it friends only and
> still splitscreen?


Yes it's still split-screen and yes you can only play it with people on your friend list.
PizzaTheHutt
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader Has Written 3 Reviews
13-Sep(#26)
The "Tears of the Kingdom" title reveal is almost definitely the reason why they chose not to air that Direct live in the UK after the death of the Queen.

BloodPuppetX
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 13-Sep(#27)
I was thinking "Tears of the Kingdom" sounds so weird for a Zelda subtitle, but I had the same thought when Breath of the Wild first got a title. Same with Twilight Princess. So I guess I'll get used to it. I'm just crying that I can't play it sooner lol.
PizzaTheHutt
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader Has Written 3 Reviews
13-Sep(#28)
BloodPuppetX wrote:
> I'm just crying that I can't play it sooner lol.


Tears of the Trading Zone
benstylus
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 26 Reviews
13-Sep(#29)
beavis wrote:
> Bummed about no info on Advance Wars. RE would have been a bigger announcement for
> me had I not bought a PS5 and played them on there. Also not a fan of cloud gaming
> but understand it's more a way to get around tech limitations than being nickel and
> dimed.

I get the purpose, but I think for most people it introduces more limitations and problems than it solves. Maybe I'm wrong about it but I don't hear of a lot of folks who have had great/positive experiences with it on Switch.

Scott
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 2 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (7 minutes ago)
13-Sep(#30)
I wonder if the "Tears" has a double meaning.
BloodPuppetX
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
13-Sep(#31)
Apparently, this is the box art:

image
KCPenguins
Gold Good Trader
* 13-Sep(#32)
That looks sweet. I've read a decent amount of complaints already about how they didn't change the game enough, that's its a few floating islands over the same world, how it should have been DLC... I'm not saying it won't have some level of that feeling, but we know almost nothing about the game. Social media really is fudging with society's mindset. When I was growing up we got some pictures and text in a magazine, and we were so happy to get that. Now it's never good enough. Nothing is ever positive. There always has to be negatives.
MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
13-Sep(#33)
A completely pointless post; however, glad to see we have another 4 word title for abbreviation and reference sakes. Funny enough, looks like all the four word titles are under The Hero is Defeated timeline.

image
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 2 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (7 minutes ago)
13-Sep(#34)
KCPenguins wrote:
> That looks sweet. I've read a decent amount of complaints already about how they
> didn't change the game enough, that's its a few floating islands over the same world,
> how it should have been DLC... I'm not saying it won't have some level of that feeling,
> but we know almost nothing about the game. Social media really is fudging with society's
> mindset. When I was growing up we got some pictures and text in a magazine, and
> we were so happy to get that. Now it's never good enough. Nothing is ever positive.
> There always has to be negatives.

That's so dumb. I mean, I do fear that's going to be the case. But, they've shown us SO little of the game so far, there's absolutely no way to know for sure.
Anxiouz
900 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
13-Sep(#35)
Scott wrote:
> I wonder if the "Tears" has a double meaning.

I have to imagine it's intentional. If it's not then that's a huge oversight or just poor marketing to not clarify. At work people have different interpretations of tears vs tears. Are we talking crying or ripping?
beavis
250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 1 Review
13-Sep(#36)
benstylus wrote:
> beavis wrote:
>> Bummed about no info on Advance Wars. RE would have been a bigger announcement
> for
>> me had I not bought a PS5 and played them on there. Also not a fan of cloud gaming
>> but understand it's more a way to get around tech limitations than being nickel
> and
>> dimed.
>
> I get the purpose, but I think for most people it introduces more limitations and
> problems than it solves. Maybe I'm wrong about it but I don't hear of a lot of folks
> who have had great/positive experiences with it on Switch.
>
>
I've never used it on the Switch, but have on PS5 for PS3. It was shockingly slow to load a game, but once loaded it played ok I guess. It does take away from the mobile appeal of the switch.
bonham2
600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 2 Reviews
13-Sep(#37)
theJaw wrote:
> I dunno, I sorta feel like that was one of the stronger Directs in quite a while.
>
>
> Pumped for:
>
> PIKMIN 4 - EASILY the most I'm looking forward to a new game. Oh my god I am
> so friggin happy. That's that, gonna re-start Pikmin 3 tonight.

Yes, I really thought they gave up on this after Miyamoto's comments about Pikmin 4 being completed over 5 YEARS AGO! I love Pikmin and can't wait. But they couldn't show anything other than a screenshot...


> The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Essentially just a name reveal but
> I am so gosh darn ready for this game. Feed it to me already, Nintendo.

Easily my most anticipated game. However, this had to be the absolute worst and most anti-climatic final announcement in a Nintendo Direct EVER. We got a few seconds of gameplay and a new title and an even further delay.

>
> Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life -

Pass

>
> Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope

Pass

>
> Nintendo 64 - PILOT WINGS 64 LETS GOOOOO. POKEMON STADIUM 1 & 2 LETS GOOOOOO.
> 1080 SNOWBOARDING LETS GOOOOOO!
>
> GOLDENEYE

I really have a hard time getting excited for 20+ year old games being released AGAIN with little to no updates. Goldeneye is going to be the single biggest letdown for gamers everywhere. Younger gamers will all talk about how much it sucks. Older gamers will swear it's amazing and then play online for one night before remembering that there have been a million FPS that have improved upon this. It's practically unplayable at this point between the graphics, horrible control scheme, and wonky AI. I'll probably play for 10 minutes and then remember that it sucks.

>
> Somewhat looking forward to:
>
> Octopath Traveler II
> Theatryhthm: Final Bar Line
> Various Daylife
>Factorial
>Harvestella**

Hard Pass

bonham2
600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 2 Reviews
13-Sep(#38)
Scott wrote:
> I skimmed through the Direct again, these were the highlights (IMO):
>
> Fire Emblem Engage
> Xenoblade Chronicles 3 - Expansion Pass Wave 2
> Tunic - Coming to Switch 9/27/22
> Story of Seasons: A Wonderful Life - Summer 2023
> Splatoon 3 - first Splatfest announcement: What would you bring to a deserted island?
> Gear/Grub/Fun
> Octopath Traveler II
> Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope - 10/20/22
> NSO New N64 games coming (Mario Party 1-3, Pokemon Stadium 1+2, Pilotwings 64, Excitebike
> 64, Goldeneye 007 w/ online play)
> Mario Strikers: Battle League - 2nd free update available this month (Pauline, Diddy
> Kong, more gear, new stadium)
> Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Booster Course Pass Wave 3 coming holiday 2022
> Nintendo Switch Sports - Golf update
> Pikmin 4 announced
> Bayonetta 3 - more gameplay footage, available 10/28/22
> Resident Evil 7 Village Cloud + Biohazard, 2, and 3, all Cloud
> Kirby's Return to Dream Land Deluxe
> The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - coming 5/12/23

So a bunch of 3rd party games (which I'm glad to see Nintendo get), and some 2nd party exclusives, but what is Nintendo doing? A splatfest. Wave 3 of DLC for a 10+ year old game. A free golf update on a game that should have released with golf in the first place. 2nd free update on a Mario Soccer game that released with far too little content originally (and it wasn't even made by Nintendo), Pikmin 4 announcement that is clearly not even close to ready, and Zelda (delayed again).

Like you said, where is everything else Nintendo? One of my biggest fears with the Switch back when it was only rumored, was that they would do away with the handheld side of their business. I get that they can't pump out a new Zelda every 2 years, but what about games like A Link Between Worlds? Where are the 2D Zeldas? Where is anything Mario related? How has it been 10+ years since a new Donkey Kong? After the success that was the latest Metroid, how can they not even have anything to discuss or show us? What about the Mario & Luigi series? WHAT IS NINTENDO DOING? Maybe they are gearing up for a new system next year and holding things back for it so they have a decent launch. I doubt it.
KCPenguins
Gold Good Trader
13-Sep(#39)
bonham2 wrote:
> ...craps on everyone...
>


mcorrado
Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
13-Sep(#40)
I thought this was one of the better directs overall. Not necessarily in terms of new games (which was still very good IMO), but in overall content.

Minus the 4 or 5 farming games, it had a lot of great content.

Fire Emblem - glad a new fire emblem is on its way. Looks like it's not as school intensive. Curious to see how classes are handled.

Octopath 2 - I think I'm in the minority but this may be my favorite RPG on the system. It's close. I was hoping the mobile game wasn't the talked about sequel, or that it wouldn't release until the switch 2. Glad this is coming, and soon.

Xeno DLC - Not for me but can see the appeal

Mario Strikers - this seems more and more like a game that may be worth getting. More game modes would be nice, hopefully the 3rd or 4th DLC will include that like golf.

N64 online - not for me but good games for those who want it.

Mario Kart 8 3rd wave, Switch Sports, Splatoon event, Bayonetta, Cloud games - none of this interests me either, but these are popular Nintendo games or games people talked about wanting to come to switch.

Mario rabbids - the first game was very easy, this looks to have added a lot more depth and strategy.

Pikmin 4 - wish we saw more, but how can't this excite you?

BOTW - wish we saw more, but hopefully it's not pushed back again with a release date and a name. I also think it's a given that as some point no later than March, there's going to be a good amount of footage on this game released.

Overall very happy with the direct. It does seem odd Mario hasn't gotten anything recently, no confirmation on if TP, WW, Prime Trilogy/remaster is real or coming, but that's the only complaint I could have.
theJaw
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
* 13-Sep(#41)
Personally been very happy with what we've got on Switch. I don't need them to rely on past IPs. Would some franchises be cool to see? For sure. But am I legit upset that rumored/hoped for games aren't announced every Direct? Nope.
benstylus
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 26 Reviews
13-Sep(#42)
KCPenguins wrote:
> That looks sweet. I've read a decent amount of complaints already about how they
> didn't change the game enough, that's its a few floating islands over the same world,
> how it should have been DLC... I'm not saying it won't have some level of that feeling,
> but we know almost nothing about the game. Social media really is fudging with society's
> mindset. When I was growing up we got some pictures and text in a magazine, and
> we were so happy to get that. Now it's never good enough. Nothing is ever positive.
> There always has to be negatives.

I just ignore social media on pretty much any upcoming game I'm interested in once it is announced. I may watch watch a trailer when it is released but I stick to official info and avoid all the stupid rumors and speculation.

That includes rumors about what may or may not be announced. I just want to enjoy the games I'm playing, not get hyperfocused on what won't be out for another month or years.

Probably why I haven't backed anything on Kickstarter in ages too.

Kommie
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
13-Sep(#43)
I just wish Nintendo put stuff on PC. Wouldn't need a Switch if that happened. And you could play stuff at 60FPS.
benstylus
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 26 Reviews
13-Sep(#44)
Kommie wrote:
> I just wish Nintendo put stuff on PC. Wouldn't need a Switch if that happened. And
> you could play stuff at 60FPS.

Mario Teaches Typing was the last Nintendo PC game I ever played

PizzaTheHutt
GameTZ Subscriber Gold Good Trader Has Written 3 Reviews
13-Sep(#45)
I didn't watch, but for those of you who did was there any word on if the Kirby port will have online co-op added like Super Mario 3D World's port got? Or at least something significant added, like Bowser's Fury was? Hard to get excited over a $60 plain old Wii port otherwise.

MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
13-Sep(#46)
PizzaTheHutt wrote:
> I didn't watch, but for those of you who did was there any word on if the Kirby port
> will have online co-op added like Super Mario 3D World's port got? Or at least something
> significant added, like Bowser's Fury was? Hard to get excited over a $60 plain old
> Wii port otherwise.
>
>

Yes

https://youtu.be/zAQZY2UVcoQ
BloodPuppetX
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
13-Sep(#47)
Hey, that game XIII finally released. Also, some golf game from the Hot Shots developer. (Easy Come, Easy Golf.)

And it looks like Radiant Silvergun just vanished from the eShop?
benstylus
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 26 Reviews
13-Sep(#48)
BloodPuppetX wrote:
> Hey, that game XIII finally released. Also, some golf game from the Hot Shots developer.
> (Easy Come, Easy Golf.)
>
> And it looks like Radiant Silvergun just vanished from the eShop?

I'm sure it will be back but yeah that is weird

BloodPuppetX
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
13-Sep(#49)
Square pulling a Nintendo with the Octopath Traveler 2 Limited Edition:

https://store.na.square-enix-games.com/en_US/produ...

Exclusive to their store and the game won't be packed in the collector's box.
BloodPuppetX
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
13-Sep(#50)
Here's a longer trailer for Octopath:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMpWElRyoxg
KCPenguins
Gold Good Trader
* 14-Sep(#51)
BloodPuppetX wrote:
> Hey, that game XIII finally released. Also, some golf game from the Hot Shots developer.
> (Easy Come, Easy Golf.)
>
>


Looks like a rebranded cell phone game.

As for XIII, I really enjoyed the game, but if memory serves it had a cliffhanger ending with no sequel. Also I remember that final boss fight being insanely difficult until I found a way to cheese it.
BloodPuppetX
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
14-Sep(#52)
Yeah, I read after posting that it was called Clap Hanz Golf on Apple Arcade. I'll just play it there when I sub later this month for Shovel Knight Dig. Also wanted to play Horizon Chase 2.
MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
14-Sep(#53)
BloodPuppetX wrote:
> Square pulling a Nintendo with the Octopath Traveler 2 Limited Edition:
>
>
> Exclusive to their store and the game won't be packed in the collector's box.

Another no physical CE? Jesus, this crap is getting old.
benstylus
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 26 Reviews
* 14-Sep(#54)
MrBean wrote:
> BloodPuppetX wrote:
>> Square pulling a Nintendo with the Octopath Traveler 2 Limited Edition:
>>
>>
>> Exclusive to their store and the game won't be packed in the collector's box.
>
> Another no physical CE? Jesus, this crap is getting old.

If people's outrage turned to lost sales, they wouldn't pull that stunt anymore.

Maybe Saint's Row or another silly series can parody the trend with a "Sucker's Edition" where the whole point is that there's no game included. Maybe it could come with a code for software that disables the game from being played on your system even if you do buy it LOL

bonham2
600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 2 Reviews
14-Sep(#55)
KCPenguins wrote:
> bonham2 wrote:
>> ...craps on everyone...
>>
>
>
>

😂 Yup, basically.

I hate to be like that, but I really feel that this direct, and quite frankly, 90% of the last three years of Switch is not for me. I get the appeal, and I'm definitely happy that the Switch is getting the 3rd party support that had eluded Nintendo for a long time, but I miss all of the other great 1st party content that we are not getting right now.
ErickRPG
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally This user is on the site NOW (8 minutes ago)
14-Sep(#56)
I'm loving what Nintendo is putting out. Plus yeah the 3rd party support. Nintendo Switch is a great portable to collect for.

MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
14-Sep(#57)
benstylus wrote:
> If people's outrage turned to lost sales, they wouldn't pull that stunt anymore.
>
>
> Maybe Saint's Row or another silly series can parody the trend with a "Sucker's Edition"
> where the whole point is that there's no game included. Maybe it could come with
> a code for software that disables the game from being played on your system even
> if you do buy it LOL
>
>

I doubt that'd ever happen. It's clearly a new move to force idiots (like myself) to double dip. Just complete and utter bullcrap that you're already paying a premium and not getting a physical disc or cart.

Still, $180 for this is too much, hard pass for me. $100 and I'd be in.
BloodPuppetX
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 14-Sep(#58)
You are getting a cart for this one, @MrBean. It's the standard edition physical game that ships with the CE stuff. The game isn't packed inside the Collector's Edition box. That's why I was comparing it to the XC3 Special Edition. Some folks like to keep their limited editions sealed (I'm not one of them), but you can't really do that in this case.

That said, I wouldn't pay another $120 for the extras. (Even though my dumb self did that with the Cowabunga Collection.)
MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
14-Sep(#59)
Ahhhh, good call, re-read that, you're right.

Still, the price is a bit heavy for this one. Those busts are awesome, and as much as I loved the first, I'm not overly attached to this to justify the price of admission.
BloodPuppetX
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
14-Sep(#60)
I put it in my cart and it's $214 after taxes + shipping. I'll definitely stick with the standard edition lol. Really looking forward to the game itself.

This reminds me that The Diofield Chronicle releases next week. I liked the demo for that one, but will probably wait for a sale there. Black Friday perhaps.
BloodPuppetX
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 14-Sep(#61)
Here's a cheaper CE for P5 Royal:

https://shopatlus.com/products/p5r1me?utm_source=s...

The game will ship separately from the CE stuff. Guess this is a trend now.
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 2 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (7 minutes ago)
14-Sep(#62)
bonham2 wrote:
> KCPenguins wrote:
>> bonham2 wrote:
> |>> ...craps on everyone...
> |>>
>
> 😂 Yup, basically.
>
> I hate to be like that, but I really feel that this direct, and quite frankly, 90%
> of the last three years of Switch is not for me. I get the appeal, and I'm definitely
> happy that the Switch is getting the 3rd party support that had eluded Nintendo for
> a long time, but I miss all of the other great 1st party content that we are not
> getting right now.

You and me are definitely on the same page. I'm glad the Switch is getting so many games. But the 1st party stuff is what I care the most about, and it's been getting more and more sparse.

theJaw wrote:
> Personally been very happy with what we've got on Switch. I don't need them to rely
> on past IPs. Would some franchises be cool to see? For sure. But am I legit upset
> that rumored/hoped for games aren't announced every Direct? Nope.

It's not about rumored games, or specific personal wants, but just wanting more 1st party Nintendo stuff in general. Like bonham said, what is NINTENDO doing?

ErickRPG wrote:
> I'm loving what Nintendo is putting out. Plus yeah the 3rd party support. Nintendo Switch
> is a great portable to collect for.

What is Nintendo putting out though? That's the point.
benstylus
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 26 Reviews
* 14-Sep(#63)
Scott wrote:.
>
> It's not about rumored games, or specific personal wants, but just wanting more 1st
> party Nintendo stuff in general. Like bonham said, what is NINTENDO doing?

Switch Sports and Splatoon. That's it. TWO GAMES. I didn't believe it myself until I went and looked on Wikipedia.

They also released Mario Strikers (from Next Level, owned by Nintendo), Xenoblade 3 (Monolith, owned by Nintnedo).

Everything else they published so far this year was developed by third parties.

Pokemon (Game Freak), Kirby Forgotten Land and Dream Buffet (HAL, which has very close ties to Nintendo but is a legally distinct company), Fire Emblem Warriors 3 Hopes (Koei/Tecmo's Omega Force).

Future releases Pokémon Scarlet/Violet and Bayonetta are also third parties.

I guess the rest of their time has been spent releasing free dlc drops for games that probably should have had the content included to begin with.

And also releasing stability updates for wii u and 3ds.

Granted I'm sure they heavily oversee the stuff they publish even when they aren't developing it, but it's still eye opening.

benstylus
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 26 Reviews
14-Sep(#64)
Last year wasn't much better:

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Wii U port plus a little extra)
Game Builder Garage (the twist is YOU make the game!)
WarioWare Get it Together (codeveloped with Intelligent Systems)
Metroid Dread (codeveloped with Mercury Stream)
Big Brain Academy: Brain vs Brain (The sequel that only I wanted)

This makes me think maybe they are just stalling for time until they are ready to announce a new system. They're just waiting for the Switch to stop selling so dang well LOL

Anxiouz
900 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
* 14-Sep(#65)
benstylus wrote:
> Scott wrote:.
>>
>> It's not about rumored games, or specific personal wants, but just wanting more
> 1st
>> party Nintendo stuff in general. Like bonham said, what is NINTENDO doing?
>
> Switch Sports and Splatoon. That's it. TWO GAMES. I didn't believe it myself until
> I went and looked on Wikipedia.

What's even worse is that Switch Sports launched incomplete (missing Golf). And then that update missed its planned release.

I have to imagine it's all hands on deck for Zelda 2, and a new Mario (for the next console launch).
Scott
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 2 Reviews This user is on the site NOW (7 minutes ago)
14-Sep(#66)
benstylus wrote:
> Scott wrote:.
>>
>> It's not about rumored games, or specific personal wants, but just wanting more
> 1st
>> party Nintendo stuff in general. Like bonham said, what is NINTENDO doing?
>
> Switch Sports and Splatoon. That's it. TWO GAMES. I didn't believe it myself until
> I went and looked on Wikipedia.
>
> They also released Mario Strikers (from Next Level, owned by Nintendo), Xenoblade
> 3 (Monolith, owned by Nintnedo).
>
> Everything else they published so far this year was developed by third parties.
>
> Pokemon (Game Freak), Kirby Forgotten Land and Dream Buffet (HAL, which has very
> close ties to Nintendo but is a legally distinct company), Fire Emblem Warriors 3
> Hopes (Koei/Tecmo's Omega Force).
>
> Future releases Pokémon Scarlet/Violet and Bayonetta are also third parties.
>
> I guess the rest of their time has been spent releasing free dlc drops for games
> that probably should have had the content included to begin with.
>
> And also releasing stability updates for wii u and 3ds.
>
> Granted I'm sure they heavily oversee the stuff they publish even when they aren't
> developing it, but it's still eye opening.

benstylus wrote:
> Last year wasn't much better:
>
> Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (Wii U port plus a little extra)
> Game Builder Garage (the twist is YOU make the game!)
> WarioWare Get it Together (codeveloped with Intelligent Systems)
> Metroid Dread (codeveloped with Mercury Stream)
> Big Brain Academy: Brain vs Brain (The sequel that only I wanted)
>
> This makes me think maybe they are just stalling for time until they are ready to
> announce a new system. They're just waiting for the Switch to stop selling so dang
> well LOL

Wow, it's even worse than I realized. I guess I mostly count the 2nd party games, but even when you include those, there haven't been very many "Nintendo" games coming out.
benstylus
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 26 Reviews
14-Sep(#67)
Anxiouz wrote:
> What's even worse is that Switch Sports launched incomplete (missing Golf). And
> then that update missed its planned release.

Incomplete games kind of been a trend for a while though (it's the whole Games as a Service concept), Nintendo was just a little later to jump in on it (as they typically are).


SwiftJAB
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
14-Sep(#68)
To Nintendo's defense, I don't know of any first or second party developer that is cranking out more than a few games per year. We might be 1-2 games lower this year and next year because COVID slowed a lot of things down that were probably in the early stages of planning/development. AAA game development cycles are getting longer and longer as the stakes are higher and we've already seen what happens to games that rush to market.

What sucks is that it's now becoming more common practice to have partially complete games get launched as full releases to keep revenue streams flowing mid year. Hopefully this is just a bandaid while these companies stabilize their dev cycles post pandemic.

MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
14-Sep(#69)
I'm glad to see Square-Enix somehow getting their crap together and releasing a bunch of stuff!

Where's XVI though!?
KCPenguins
Gold Good Trader
14-Sep(#70)
I'm glad it's only Nintendo not delivering... if only they announced a new Mario Odyssey with a soft release date in 2024... can't imagine the outrage.

image
Kommie
GameTZ Subscriber 250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
14-Sep(#71)
MrBean wrote:
> I'm glad to see Square-Enix somehow getting their crap together and releasing a bunch
> of stuff!
>
> Where's XVI though!?

Certainly not gonna be on Nintendo Switch
BloodPuppetX
GameTZ Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
14-Sep(#72)
Metro games really cheap in the eShop right now:

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/metro-2033-redux
Shadowrunner
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
14-Sep(#73)
My Fixture S2 came in today. It's quite possibly the worst accessory I have ever purchased. It feels weird playing and the weight makes it really uncomfortable.
3hitcombo
GameTZ Subscriber 650 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9)
14-Sep(#74)
Does Nintendo need to put out more first party titles though? Their games usually have more playability in general than most games to me. It's almost as if they have confidence that their products have long standing fun!

SwiftJAB
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
14-Sep(#75)
Shadowrunner wrote:
> My Fixture S2 came in today. It's quite possibly the worst accessory I have ever
> purchased. It feels weird playing and the weight makes it really uncomfortable.

Yeah, these types of products heavily rely on you positioning your hands in a way that the weight is distributed in a comfortable way. If you're not set on using a pro controller, I recommend the grip from Satisfye

Shadowrunner
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
* 14-Sep(#76)
SwiftJAB wrote:
> Shadowrunner wrote:
>> My Fixture S2 came in today. It's quite possibly the worst accessory I have ever
>> purchased. It feels weird playing and the weight makes it really uncomfortable.
>
>
> Yeah, these types of products heavily rely on you positioning your hands in a way
> that the weight is distributed in a comfortable way. If you're not set on using a
> pro controller, I recommend the grip from Satisfye
>
>

I actually like playing my Switch in tabletop mode with a pro controller. Been looking for a tablet only case but could only find one for the non OLED.
SwiftJAB
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader
14-Sep(#77)
3hitcombo wrote:
> Does Nintendo need to put out more first party titles though? Their games usually
> have more playability in general than most games to me. It's almost as if they have
> confidence that their products have long standing fun!
>
>

They really don't. The number games coming from their studios on a yearly basis is pretty good. If all you play is Nintendo published games that have a story mode, I can see you getting hungry for more if you're blowing through them quickly. Between Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Pokémon, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong and the random ones in-between, there's plenty there to choose from, some offering a ton of repayablity or at least enough content that 100% it will take a while.

Now I don't expect everyone to like all these series or styles, but there are so many indie and 3rd party AAA titles to fill in the gaps.


benstylus
GameTZ Gold Subscriber GameTZ Full Moderator 550 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 26 Reviews
14-Sep(#78)
SwiftJAB wrote:
> 3hitcombo wrote:
>> Does Nintendo need to put out more first party titles though? Their games usually
>> have more playability in general than most games to me. It's almost as if they
> have
>> confidence that their products have long standing fun!
>>
>>
>
> They really don't. The number games coming from their studios on a yearly basis is
> pretty good. If all you play is Nintendo published games that have a story mode,
> I can see you getting hungry for more if you're blowing through them quickly. Between
> Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Pokémon, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong and the
> random ones in-between, there's plenty there to choose from, some offering a ton
> of repayablity or at least enough content that 100% it will take a while.
>

Even if you do like them all, the only ones with really regular releases are Kirby and Pokemon and those are usually one a year or so.

I really don't mind the slower release schedule but I totally understand how fans of a particular series can feel starved for content. Especially if that series is F Zero (which within the next month or so will hit 18 years since it's latest game released)

MrBean
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (7) Has Written 1 Review
14-Sep(#79)
Stop defending Nintendo. I'm a fan boy myself, but they're way too slow on big releases for their best IP.
bonham2
600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Has Written 2 Reviews
14-Sep(#80)
Anxiouz wrote:
> benstylus wrote:
>> Scott wrote:.
> |>>
> |>> It's not about rumored games, or specific personal wants, but just wanting more
>> 1st
> |>> party Nintendo stuff in general. Like bonham said, what is NINTENDO doing?
>>
>> Switch Sports and Splatoon. That's it. TWO GAMES. I didn't believe it myself
> until
>> I went and looked on Wikipedia.
>
> What's even worse is that Switch Sports launched incomplete (missing Golf). And
> then that update missed its planned release.
>
> I have to imagine it's all hands on deck for Zelda 2, and a new Mario (for the next
> console launch).

I imagine you're right. It's all Zelda and Mario right now. My guess is we'll see the next 3D Mario next year, either on Switch or the next console.

The problem is Nintendo's development teams have been consolidated to the point where they can't work on more than 2-3 projects at a time. They use to have R&D 1-4 (4 was the Zelda/Mario team). They only have one game development team and one hardware team now. They need those 2nd party developers in order to be successful.

Topic   Nintendo discussion