VideoGame_Discussion

Topic   Post your scores/reviews on recent titles you've obtained/been playing. raspberry

Guru
Has Written 16 Reviews
(abandoned)
7-Dec-2003(#1)
This topic had many older posts which were moved here:

http://gametz.com/VideoGame_Discussion/post-scores...













Sid_Ceaser
GameTZ Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 6 Reviews
9-Dec-2019(#2)

I ripped through Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order over a long Thanksgiving weekend - took five days to complete the story and find all the hidden chests/upgrades. Really good stuff. Really loved it.


kevolones
250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
9-Dec-2019(#3)
Ive recently given up on Darksiders 2. I had given up before on PS3, and I got farther in this time. Its cool and all, but feels way too dated for a last gen game, and It really didnt keep me interested. I loved the 1rst one because it was a Zelda clone. I didnt feel the love for this one. I dont think Ill try the 3rd one since it looks to be more of the same.
TalonJedi87
Double Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 10-Dec-2019(#4)
Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair Nintendo Switch -7/10 - so far, it reminds me a lot of New Super Mario Bros while in the stages, but when you're in the overworld it feels more like a top down Banjo game as there's more to do and uncover secrets and what not. I'm digging the level design so far and some cool features like spitting berries on levels in the overworld to make them change in appearance from ice to fire like levels, similar to Yoshi's Crafted World where you can play the level in reverse, only in here you play the level again with a different coat of paint, which is nice. What I don't like though is the constant need for in game currency to progress. Every time I turn around they either want those SMB like coins found in stages or quills, so sometimes I find myself grinding out stages in order to have enough currency to either unlock a switch that lowers a bridge or bring down a "pay-wall" jail cell with bars blocking off the path of progression. A bit annoying and kinda unnecessary if you ask me. It feels like they purposely did this so you're forced to spend more time replaying levels over and over again to pad the play time. Not really a fan of that.
PizzaTheHutt
Gold Good Trader Has Written 3 Reviews
10-Dec-2019(#5)
Ghost of a Tale {PC / Windows} 8/10
EA gave everyone a free month of Origin Access so I was looking for things to play and this caught my eye. I don't recall hearing about this previously but I'm diggin' it. You play as a little mouse, it's so adorbs.
It's an action/RPG but with a bit of stealth gameplay in the mix. The stealth parts can feel tedious at times because you can't kill the guards, you can only temporarily restrict them (throwing an empty bottle at their head will knock them out cold for a couple of minutes) and look for places to hide until they've lost sight of you and forget about you, but you'll be dealing with them a lot.

I only put a couple of hours into this, so I don't have a whole lot to say. I feel this is something I'd rather play on console. I'll probably get it on PS4 at some point or just wait and see if they port it to Switch, but I was happy with the little bit of time I put into it because this wouldn't have been on my radar otherwise.
DrizzDrizzDrizz
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Croatia
11-Dec-2019(#6)
Finished Oddworld Fresh n tasty, great game

Started playing Doom 3 (ps4 version), really good so far, totally different than Doom (2016), way less run and gun, more spooky and atmospheric and survival horror style
TalonJedi87
Double Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 13-Dec-2019(#7)
TalonJedi87 wrote:
> Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair Nintendo Switch -7/10 - so far, it reminds me a lot
> of New Super Mario Bros while in the stages, but when you're in the overworld it
> feels more like a top down Banjo game as there's more to do and uncover secrets and
> what not. I'm digging the level design so far and some cool features like spitting
> berries on levels in the overworld to make them change in appearance from ice to
> fire like levels, similar to Yoshi's Crafted World where you can play the level in
> reverse, only in here you play the level again with a different coat of paint, which
> is nice. What I don't like though is the constant need for in game currency to progress.
> Every time I turn around they either want those SMB like coins found in stages or
> quills, so sometimes I find myself grinding out stages in order to have enough currency
> to either unlock a switch that lowers a bridge or bring down a "pay-wall" jail cell
> with bars blocking off the path of progression. A bit annoying and kinda unnecessary
> if you ask me. It feels like they purposely did this so you're forced to spend more
> time replaying levels over and over again to pad the play time. Not really a fan
> of that.

Lowering my score to a 5/10 and quitting. I'm tired of games that require progression thru paying, even if it's in game currency, when it's not earned at a steady enough pace and they force you to replay previous levels over and over and OVER again in order to accrue enough capital to use on either paywalls or locked crates to get keys and whatever nonsense you need to progress to the next area. It wouldn't be so bad if while in the level you weren't penalized half your quills (currency) at the end of each stage unless you find one of those tonics that increase your multiplier, which only forces you to use guides to see exactly when and where you can get that particular tonic. .It wouldn't be so bad if these damn paywall crates and chests weren't so expensive, but they're like 1,000 a pop when you only earn barely over 100 after each stage is just obscene. Yooka-Laylee still hasn't found their sweet spot yet for me. The level design is decent enough. Overworld is cleverly thought out, but the progression system is sheer and utterly frustrating and discouraging.
Gypsy
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
13-Dec-2019(#8)
TalonJedi87 wrote:
> TalonJedi87 wrote:
>> Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair Nintendo Switch -7/10 - so far, it reminds me a
> lot
>> of New Super Mario Bros while in the stages, but when you're in the overworld
> it
>> feels more like a top down Banjo game as there's more to do and uncover secrets
> and
>> what not. I'm digging the level design so far and some cool features like spitting
>> berries on levels in the overworld to make them change in appearance from ice
> to
>> fire like levels, similar to Yoshi's Crafted World where you can play the level
> in
>> reverse, only in here you play the level again with a different coat of paint,
> which
>> is nice. What I don't like though is the constant need for in game currency to
> progress.
>> Every time I turn around they either want those SMB like coins found in stages
> or
>> quills, so sometimes I find myself grinding out stages in order to have enough
> currency
>> to either unlock a switch that lowers a bridge or bring down a "pay-wall" jail
> cell
>> with bars blocking off the path of progression. A bit annoying and kinda unnecessary
>> if you ask me. It feels like they purposely did this so you're forced to spend
> more
>> time replaying levels over and over again to pad the play time. Not really a fan
>> of that.
>
> Lowering my score to a 5/10 and quitting. I'm tired of games that require progression
> thru paying, even if it's in game currency, when it's not earned at a steady enough
> pace and they force you to replay previous levels over and over and OVER again in
> order to accrue enough capital to use on either paywalls or locked crates to get
> keys and whatever nonsense you need to progress to the next area. It wouldn't be
> so bad if while in the level you weren't penalized half your quills (currency) at
> the end of each stage unless you find one of those tonics that increase your multiplier.It
> wouldn't be so bad if these damn paywall crates and chests weren't so expensive,
> but between 500 to 1,000 a pop when you only earn barely over 100 after each stage
> is just obscene. Yooka-Laylee still hasn't found their sweet spot yet for me. The
> level design is decent enough. Overworld is cleverly thought out, but the progression
> system is sheer and utterly frustrating and discouraging.

It's so bad dude. Some of the worst controls I've ever seen. It's hard to explain how bad this is...you have to play it to know. Just atrocious gameplay compared to almost any other example in the genre.

Imagine it having a better metacritic score than the original game. TOTAL TRAVESTY.
Archer
GameTZ Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 1 Review
13-Dec-2019(#9)
TalonJedi87 wrote:
> TalonJedi87 wrote:
>> Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair Nintendo Switch -7/10 - so far, it reminds me a
> lot
>> of New Super Mario Bros while in the stages, but when you're in the overworld
> it
>> feels more like a top down Banjo game as there's more to do and uncover secrets
> and
>> what not. I'm digging the level design so far and some cool features like spitting
>> berries on levels in the overworld to make them change in appearance from ice
> to
>> fire like levels, similar to Yoshi's Crafted World where you can play the level
> in
>> reverse, only in here you play the level again with a different coat of paint,
> which
>> is nice. What I don't like though is the constant need for in game currency to
> progress.
>> Every time I turn around they either want those SMB like coins found in stages
> or
>> quills, so sometimes I find myself grinding out stages in order to have enough
> currency
>> to either unlock a switch that lowers a bridge or bring down a "pay-wall" jail
> cell
>> with bars blocking off the path of progression. A bit annoying and kinda unnecessary
>> if you ask me. It feels like they purposely did this so you're forced to spend
> more
>> time replaying levels over and over again to pad the play time. Not really a fan
>> of that.
>
> Lowering my score to a 5/10 and quitting. I'm tired of games that require progression
> thru paying, even if it's in game currency, when it's not earned at a steady enough
> pace and they force you to replay previous levels over and over and OVER again in
> order to accrue enough capital to use on either paywalls or locked crates to get
> keys and whatever nonsense you need to progress to the next area. It wouldn't be
> so bad if while in the level you weren't penalized half your quills (currency) at
> the end of each stage unless you find one of those tonics that increase your multiplier,
> which only forces you to use guides to see exactly when and where you can get that
> particular tonic. .It wouldn't be so bad if these damn paywall crates and chests
> weren't so expensive, but they're like 1,000 a pop when you only earn barely over
> 100 after each stage is just obscene. Yooka-Laylee still hasn't found their sweet
> spot yet for me. The level design is decent enough. Overworld is cleverly thought
> out, but the progression system is sheer and utterly frustrating and discouraging.
>

Was it made by Ubisoft? WTF.
TalonJedi87
Double Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 13-Dec-2019(#10)
It's like the first paywall you encounter they make it into a joke, they even say hey my name is Tazzer or something and this is my PAYWALL! So if you want to pass that you need those Super Mario Bros looking round gold star coins. But it gets worse. Because in addition to those paywalls popping up every 50 feet, you have those mandatory progression item chests and crates that cost 1,000 quills (Yooka bucks) a pop and for some forsaken reason you cannot keep the currency you obtain in each level because you're docked it by half once you complete each level (like government regulated taxes taking your money with each paycheck) because they thought it was a swell idea to add an upgrade via tonic that's scattered somewhere hidden in the overworld that you may or may not find until late into the game. And these were really the people who made Banjo? For shame.
loztdogs
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader
13-Dec-2019(#11)
I've been playing it as well or was... I finished chapter 5 and I have no idea where to go. Most of the time I can only acquire 1 or 2 of the paywall coins and I'm simply not interested in repeating the level to acquire them all. Not sure if I'll go back. Had high hopes tho.

DrizzDrizzDrizz
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Croatia
13-Dec-2019(#12)
Still playing doom 3, somewhere near 3/4 of the way through I think
And damn i cant imagine playing this in the original flashlight or weapon mode. Terrifying. Crap's so gosh darn dark
PizzaTheHutt
Gold Good Trader Has Written 3 Reviews
15-Dec-2019(#13)
Styx: Master of Shadows {PlayStation 4} 5/10
This has been one of those weird games where I can't really think of too many things that the game seems to be doing right, but yet I keep coming back to play more of it.

Even by 2014 standards this game is ugly. There's a weird graphical glitch that you see on the edge of the screen every time you rotate the camera angle. I've also had the game crash on me a couple of times.
The controls are generally fine, except for the melee combat, which is pure ass. Granted this is a stealth game, so you should be avoiding melee combat as much as possible.

I don't know if I will finish all of it, I'd say I'm around 6 hours into it and my save file says I'm only 6% complete, so if the game goes on for too long I can definitely see myself just moving on to something else. Part of the reason it's taking me so long to progress is my own fault, though. So far killing enemies has always been optional, but I've been killing every enemy I come across and then I have to look for a place to drop their corpse at where they won't be seen. I think if I just stopped doing that I'd be able to get through the game quicker, yet it's so satisfying to choke these sons of doges out.
egg
Double Gold Good Trader
17-Dec-2019(#14)
I just got my new laptop set up. So I downloaded Steam on it and grab Magic Duels which I haven't played in months. Turns out it's been patched so all cards are unlocked now. Daily quests and earning coins have been disabled.

This is a neat surprise since I figured they stopped supporting the game. But I guess now they have. And as I would've imagined, the game has been pulled from Steam. The update applies only to those of us who had the game in their Steam library already. https://steamdb.info/patchnotes/1818452/ If you guys need me, I'll be enjoying going to town with all my new sweet ass cards and making my decks beast form.
Kommie
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader This user is on the site NOW (16 seconds ago)
19-Dec-2019(#15)
Mario + Rabbids : 8.5/10 Overall this is a fun mostly light SRPG game with some minor annoyances, you can't revive dead teammates, no items to heal in battle (Mushrooms outside of battle). Boss fights are tough and take awhile to figure out. Just beat world 2.

Celeste : 9/10 fun and challenging.

Ni No Kuni: fun so far, kinda easy Pokemon like game. You can collect monsters and such.
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
19-Dec-2019(#16)
Bosses in Rabbids could be tough, but I was usually as powerful as I could possibly be at the time of fighting every boss so the only one which gave me issues was the Ice boss. He was a bastard.
Kommie
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader This user is on the site NOW (16 seconds ago)
19-Dec-2019(#17)
dustin11 wrote:
> Bosses in Rabbids could be tough, but I was usually as powerful as I could possibly
> be at the time of fighting every boss so the only one which gave me issues was the
> Ice boss. He was a bastard.

First Boss took awhile with that smash hit everything in front of him, so you had to change position in front of those unbreakable blocks before killing one phase of it. World 2 is the Ice Boss, kept getting annoyed with the ads killing me. Also allies having weapons that can deal friendly fire/fire damage if you critical is annoying.
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
19-Dec-2019(#18)
I ran over the game pretty easily and the only thing that really gave me a tough time was beating some of the stages with the best possible rating and 2 of the 4 post game levels, one of which took me close to 5 hours.
sinnie
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
19-Dec-2019(#19)
Mario + Rabbids was the most fun I've had with a Mario game in quite some time.

dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
19-Dec-2019(#20)
I had a big smile on my face the entire time I played that game. The boss music is was good too. Kirkhope did a really good job with the soundtrack.
Kommie
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader This user is on the site NOW (16 seconds ago)
19-Dec-2019(#21)
The boss music for the Ice Boss was very Star Wars sounding to me.
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
19-Dec-2019(#22)
Its the mid-boss music I was talking about. I think that most bosses have their own separate music or something. GK seemed to go in time to the Banjo Kazooie sound track for inspiration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE8C0E3CtcM
BucketofJustice
Bronze Good Trader Has Written 6 Reviews
(frozen)
22-Dec-2019(#23)
Death Stranding Sony PlayStation 4 Pro What the fudge is this?
Kommie
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader This user is on the site NOW (16 seconds ago)
22-Dec-2019(#24)
BucketofJustice wrote:
> Death Stranding Sony PlayStation 4 Pro What the fudge is this?

You don't get it? You're too dumb to get it. Don't like it? You don't "get" it.

----Every person on the Death Stranding subbreddit.

It's impossible to criticize that game to the die hard circle jerkers who love it.
BucketofJustice
Bronze Good Trader Has Written 6 Reviews
(frozen)
* 22-Dec-2019(#25)
Reddit is a cesspool so whatever. I just finished the prologue so I'm not far in at all but jesus fudge it's like Kojima just wanted to do weird crap without a filter and got to do it and that's what we got.



This game is batcrap. Goegeous but insane. So I'm Norman Reedus and I'm riding a 3 wheeled motorcycle and I jump over a canyon or some crap and I hit a lady who's just standing there but when I turn around she isn't there. I pick up the stuff I was carrying while on the bike and apparently I also have a disease where when I get wet or some part of me gets wet that part ages. Then like half my body turns red and I get goosebumps and the hairs on my arm stand up. So then I'm hiding in a cave and a bunch of hand prints just start appearing and make walking like tracks. Apparently they're some sort of invisible creature. The lady I made disappear with a motorcycle shows up and she has the same disease. Hers apparently is more advanced than mine I guess because her hand looks like Grandma just pulled a Christmas ham out of the oven and didn't wear an oven mit. I don't know. Since I'm a courier and she apparently runs a courier business she offered me a job. I apparently said no because I want to outrun all the rain on foot. The girl that should be dead leaves, but she eats a big first. She offers me one. I decline. I don't know why. So the killer rain lets up and I go down a hill and I almost fall like 3 times. Controls in Death Stranding are sloppy and floaty as hell, but also kind of precise. It's hard to explain. Anyway I scan the area with something sticking out of my ribs or some crap and I find more stuff to pick up. I also then eat a bug. The same kind old hand lady offered me. Then I have to cross a river. Slowly. Because I'm carrying a bunch of crap. I get to where I'm supposed to be and it turns out I'm a drug runner. For the post apocalyptic government of America I think. Anyway I unload the drugs and then a ten foot tall truck with the most ridiculous hydraulics you've ever seen shows up and a guy gets out. He wants to take a corpse that's leaking black crap to an incinerator. Apparently to cremate the guy. Apparently Norman Reedus don't have crap to do so in the truck and away we go. The guy sitting in the back with me had a baby in an incubator or some crap attached to his hazmat looking suit with a tube. So we're on our way to start our charcoal bonfire and a bunch of these invisible handprint jerks show up and lay waste to everything except me and the incubator baby. The other two guys are dead and the kid has black eyes and it's attached to me now. So the leaky dead dude evaporates into the ground then a big mostly invisible thing who looks like an outline of Groot with a hand for a head shows up then I see like 5 ghosts that aren't Casper. They're not friendly. Then next thing I know I'm naked standing in front of water with a bunch of dead whales and fish and dolphins and crap and I go into the water. But apparently not death water like the first water. Maybe I'm a vampire. Anyway after I get into the Dead Sea I look around and then I die. But I don't. I wake up in a room where a hologram asks me to run more drugs for the president. I apparently agree. That's the end of the prologue.

TalonJedi87
Double Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
23-Dec-2019(#26)
Death Stranding is definitely an acquired taste. I enjoyed the tale it was trying to tell but gameplay at times was way too full of itself and got in it's own way. The traversal was way too annoying sometimes too and driving was a joke since every 2 feet you hit a rock immobilizing your vehicle. Lots of bullcrap moments but yeah if you criticize it you're satan's spawn or something close to that nature apparently. Conformist!

Greedfall Microsoft Xbox One- 8/10- jankiness aside, I'm really enjoying this. It's like a blend of a little bit of AC with Dragon Age and all kinds of immersive dialog and storytelling thru it's plentiful bounty of missions and quests. Only about 4 hours in so far but I can tell I'll be playing this one for a while this winter as I clear out the last few games in my backlog before the 2020 madness hits come February.
Kommie
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader This user is on the site NOW (16 seconds ago)
28-Dec-2019(#27)
Celeste Chapter 9 is a headache/chore. Not sure if I really want to beat it but probably will.
sinnie
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
28-Dec-2019(#28)
I just started Death Stranding.... man this looks interesting as hell but what a pain in the ass.

DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 28-Dec-2019(#29)
Don't fall!

Just kidding, you're gonna fall a lot
TalonJedi87
Double Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
29-Dec-2019(#30)
Code Vein-Sony PlayStation 4 Pro -Thirsty/10- so very thirsty. So very anime. So very Dark Souls.
BloodPuppetX
350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
29-Dec-2019(#31)
Assassin's Creed: Black Flag Nintendo Switch

My first time playing this series. I didn't realize these games had modern day sequences. I thought it was just a historical setting and that was that. It took a while to get used to controlling the character, but that's just because I was over thinking it, I guess. I was only interested in this because of the pirating stuff, so I don't if I'll play any outside of the Rebel Collection. (Includes Rogue and whatever DLC it has.) I'm not really a fan of stealth in video games at all. I could never get into MGS and I always dread the inevitable stealth mission in pretty much every Zelda since OoT.

That said, I'm enjoying this so far. I still don't like sneaking around, but it's pretty fun to kill enemies that way in this game. (The aerial kills are especially satisfying.) The sailing isn't too interesting, especially with the large ship obstructing my view. I do look forward to diving to those sunken ships later in the game. Not sure how far you have to progress for underwater exploration to open up, though. I'm just leaving Nassau now.
PizzaTheHutt
Gold Good Trader Has Written 3 Reviews
29-Dec-2019(#32)
Immortal Redneck {Nintendo Switch} 6/10
I bought this because the trailer in the eShop showed you shooting your way through pyramids in Egypt and it kind of gave me Serious Sam vibes. The game's eShop description says this has "rogue-lite elements" and I don't even know what that means. Basically you're shooting your way through a pyramid, starting at the bottom and working your way to the top floor and earning gold along the way. When you die you are allowed to spend that gold to upgrade your skills but then you have to start from the bottom of the pyramid again and the levels are randomly generated each time you start over.

The graphics are not very good. Everything kind of has a low-res, blurry look to it. The controls support gyro aiming (I think this was one of the first first-person shooters on Switch to do so) and while it works, it's not as accurate as I remember fps games on Wii being (I suspect the sensor bar had a lot to do with that). Another issue with the controls regardless of if you're playing with gyro aiming or not, is how "slippery" things feel when you're jumping from platform to platform.
Despite being a first-person shooter, there isn't any blood and guts when you shoot the enemies so I'm assuming the only reason this game was rated M is because the main character likes saying the word "fudge" a lot.

Uppercat
Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Happy Birthday to Me
29-Dec-2019(#33)
Jedi Fallen Order: Absolute trash
benstylus
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 26 Reviews
* 29-Dec-2019(#34)
PizzaTheHutt wrote:
> The game's eShop description
> says this has "rogue-lite elements" and I don't even know what that means.

I'll tell you.

> When you die you are allowed
> to spend that gold to upgrade your skills but then you have to start from the bottom
> of the pyramid again and the levels are randomly generated each time you start over.

Or you'll just explain it yourself a sentence or two later.

(As a side note, I've never played a game with Redneck in the title that has been any good).
DrizzDrizzDrizz
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Croatia
29-Dec-2019(#35)

Doin' Redneck Rampage dirty like that

Anxiouz
900 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
29-Dec-2019(#36)
Uppercat wrote:
> Jedi Fallen Order: Absolute trash

Getting one last troll in before 2020?
Uppercat
Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Happy Birthday to Me
29-Dec-2019(#37)
I've only got a few days left.
loztdogs
GameTZ Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader
30-Dec-2019(#38)
Been playing Tales of Hearts R PlayStation Vita off and on and it's starting to grow on me. The battle systems not my favorite but different enough to keep me engaged. The story seems a little weak but it's early so we'll see.

DrizzDrizzDrizz
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Croatia
30-Dec-2019(#39)
So i finally started Witcher 3, less than 2 weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I've put in more than 40 hours already somehow, every chance I get I'm playing it

There was a bit of a learning curve (complicated menu, tons of different gameplay mechanics) but really rewarding once I finally figured it all out. Crafting, potions and oils, upgrades, ability points and mutagens, meditation etc, it was a bit overwhelming at first.
My proud moment came when I was level 10 and took on a pack of 5 level 23 ghouls or something and demolished them (took a few tries to be fair)

The controls are sometimes a bit wonky, i've encountered multiple glitches (getting physically stuck somewhere), Geralt's accent was initially jarring...but other than that, it's incredible, and I'm 100% fully balls-deep into it. I'm daunted by the size of the maps and amount of quests but I'm having a lot of fun with it. Just Gwent alone is my crap, play it a lot

It lives up to my very lofty expectations, and I'm happy I finally dove in


sinnie
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 600 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
30-Dec-2019(#40)
DrizzDrizzDrizz wrote:
> So i finally started Witcher 3, less than 2 weeks ago and I'm pretty sure I've put
> in more than 40 hours already somehow, every chance I get I'm playing it
>
> There was a bit of a learning curve (complicated menu, tons of different gameplay
> mechanics) but really rewarding once I finally figured it all out. Crafting, potions
> and oils, upgrades, ability points and mutagens, meditation etc, it was a bit overwhelming
> at first.
> My proud moment came when I was level 10 and took on a pack of 5 level 23 ghouls
> or something and demolished them (took a few tries to be fair)
>
> The controls are sometimes a bit wonky, i've encountered multiple glitches (getting
> physically stuck somewhere), Geralt's accent was initially jarring...but other than
> that, it's incredible, and I'm 100% fully balls-deep into it. I'm daunted by the
> size of the maps and amount of quests but I'm having a lot of fun with it. Just Gwent
> alone is my crap, play it a lot
>
> It lives up to my very lofty expectations, and I'm happy I finally dove in
>
>
>

Yeah I don't like the complicated menu and they're hard to read for me. I mostly ignored the oils and crafting and got along just fine. Occasionally I'd use an oil to defeat some weird beast more easily.
Itching to get back into it but not sure when I'll be able to.


Gypsy
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
30-Dec-2019(#41)
For oils, potions etc to be needed you really have to push the difficulty all the way up. And of course you can always use them for an extra boost. I think that was a good way to approach it.
kevolones
250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
30-Dec-2019(#42)
Yeah I played it on a harder difficulty and had to use oils and potions a lot. Only having 3 of the health potion was killer. I had to use the bombs too but not really that much.
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
31-Dec-2019(#43)
Creature in the Well 8/10 (X1 via Game Pass)

Very good easy to learn/play game that I decided to give a shot over the weekend. Pretty short, I think I 100%'d this game in about 6 hours but really enjoyed it. Small difficulty spike about half way through but it was easy to figure out how to get better at the game and get past those more difficult parts. Definitely recommended.
Anxiouz
900 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
31-Dec-2019(#44)
I was curious about that one but didn't really understand what I saw. That's the pinball-y one right? I'll give it a whirl.
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
31-Dec-2019(#45)
Yeah kind of. You "juggle" a ball with one weapon (you do so just by holding down the "X" button) then you aim it with one of the joysticks and press "Y" to hit with a 2nd weapon in that direction. There really isn't much pinball stuff involved, there is alot more of you catching the ball, juggling it, then hitting it into a different direction. You can also dash around while juggling the ball to avoiding getting hit by fire balls and other similar objects. Some of your juggling weapons like a laser pointer to see where your ball will go when hit, or ones which let you charge the ball up to a more powerful level than the other weapons, another which draws the ball towards you when bouncing around in a magnetic fashion, etc....and the hitting weapon has other attributes so there is a strategic element to the combination you choose. Its pretty fun.
Anxiouz
900 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
31-Dec-2019(#46)
Gotcha, thanks for the info. That sounds more interesting than I thought. yes
PizzaTheHutt
Gold Good Trader Has Written 3 Reviews
31-Dec-2019(#47)
benstylus wrote:
> PizzaTheHutt wrote:
>> The game's eShop description
>> says this has "rogue-lite elements" and I don't even know what that means.
>
> I'll tell you.
>
>> When you die you are allowed
>> to spend that gold to upgrade your skills but then you have to start from the
> bottom
>> of the pyramid again and the levels are randomly generated each time you start
> over.
>
> Or you'll just explain it yourself a sentence or two later.
>
> (As a side note, I've never played a game with Redneck in the title that has been
> any good).

Every time I hear something called a "rogue-lite" it's almost always a 2D dungeon crawler with an overhead view. Could it be argued that ZombiU was a rogue-lite with the whole perma-death aspect, having to start from the beginning every time you died and losing all of your inventory (unless you find the corpse of your previous character)?
kevolones
250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
31-Dec-2019(#48)
Finally beat Mass Effect Andromeda.

Ill give it a 7/10 because its always fun to play ME and this brought back the Moon car thing which I loved about ME1. I wish it had guns!

On the other side, the cutscenes run like crap. Horrible framerate among other things. While on missions and combat, it doesnt run too bad though.

I kinda want to play Dragon Age again after this.
Kommie
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader This user is on the site NOW (16 seconds ago)
31-Dec-2019(#49)
RIP Bioware, Dragon Age 4, or whatever it'll be called will be their demise.
Uppercat
Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally Happy Birthday to Me
31-Dec-2019(#50)
Fudge EA
TalonJedi87
Double Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 1-Jan-2020(#51)
Fudge EA indeed. Except for Jedi Fallen Order. But I guess all AAA scumbags are allowed one good game a decade now. Isn't that right, Craptivision? (Sekiro)
Kommie
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader This user is on the site NOW (16 seconds ago)
1-Jan-2020(#52)
Activision had little to do with Sekiro besides publishing, I think it was self published in Japan.
Gypsy
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Jan-2020(#53)
Kommie wrote:
> Activision had little to do with Sekiro besides publishing, I think it was self published
> in Japan.

Correct.

Same thing as Sony publishing Bloodborne. Both are From games through and through.
benstylus
GameTZ Gold Subscriber 500 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (9) Has Written 26 Reviews
1-Jan-2020(#54)
PizzaTheHutt wrote:
>
> Every time I hear something called a "rogue-lite" it's almost always a 2D dungeon
> crawler with an overhead view. Could it be argued that ZombiU was a rogue-lite with
> the whole perma-death aspect, having to start from the beginning every time you died
> and losing all of your inventory (unless you find the corpse of your previous character)?


Also important is the randomly generated aspect. I never played ZombiU so I don't know if it does random/procedurally generated levels.

The point of a rogue-lite is that you are supposed to die over and over again and slowly increase your stats and/or equipment until you're finally able to beat the game. Sort of like the endless runner genre of cell phone games that give you power-ups and multipliers to buy with in-game (or real) currency that let you start further in, get a higher score, respawn, etc. The difference is that there is actually an end in a "rogue-lite".

It has become popular lately as it allows developers to make very short games that still take a while to beat. The drip feed of slow improvements is like a Skinner Box that keeps people coming back to unlock the next thing, thinking "OK, maybe I'll be able to beat it with this upgrade..."

That isn't necessarily laziness - some developers are on a shoestring budget, and this is a very cost effective way to increase game length without significantly increasing development cost. However, it's also frustrating when it seems like EVERY indie game is going down that route.
Heavyd814life
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Gold Good Trader Gold Global Trader (13)
1-Jan-2020(#55)
TalonJedi87 wrote:
> Fudge EA indeed. Except for Jedi Fallen Order. But I guess all AAA scumbags are allowed
> one good game a decade now. Isn't that right, Craptivision? (Sekiro)

I'm probably being silly, but JFO is the reason I'm still optimistic about DA4. Surely EA now sees that a single player game with no microtransactions, no tacked-on multiplayer, and with proper development time to ensure a polished product can be both a critical and commercial success. That's exactly what needs to happen with DA4. They need to be hands off and let BioWare try to recapture that early BioWare magic. Bioware has lost a ton of talent, but they still have some really good devs there. I still believe!

Kommie
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader This user is on the site NOW (16 seconds ago)
1-Jan-2020(#56)
Heavyd814life wrote:
> TalonJedi87 wrote:
>> Fudge EA indeed. Except for Jedi Fallen Order. But I guess all AAA scumbags are
> allowed
>> one good game a decade now. Isn't that right, Craptivision? (Sekiro)
>
> I'm probably being silly, but JFO is the reason I'm still optimistic about DA4. Surely
> EA now sees that a single player game with no microtransactions, no tacked-on multiplayer,
> and with proper development time to ensure a polished product can be both a critical
> and commercial success. That's exactly what needs to happen with DA4. They need to
> be hands off and let BioWare try to recapture that early BioWare magic. Bioware has
> lost a ton of talent, but they still have some really good devs there. I still believe!
>
>


Maybe they learned from Anthem, but Bioware also wasted so much time with that game's development.
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Jan-2020(#57)
Respawn made JFO and they were reported to be left to do whatever they wish with little outside interference. Bioware, on the other hand, is a dumpster fire and were 100% at fault with what happened with Anthem. EA was reportedly hands off with that game too and the shell of Bioware was left to do as they wish and they completely wrecked that game and straight up lied when they showed the game at E3. I'm in no way a fan of EA, but numerous people who worked at Bioware said that EA had nothing to do with Anthem's failure and that it was complete mismanagement on Biowares behalf since all the good employees left long ago. Respawn, on the other hand, has some very talented people working there including Vince Zampella who has an incredibly good track record.
DarkFact
GameTZ Subscriber 400 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Has Written 4 Reviews
* 1-Jan-2020(#58)
Anthem's got me afraid of Bioware now. If any decent talent or leadership remained at that studio, I'd think we would have seen Anthem rebound gracefully even after a rocky launch. It's done anything but.

Stick a fork in them. We've come a long, long way from KOTOR, ME and DA. IMO, after ME, none of the games have ever gotten better, they've just gotten worse. I know a lot of people look fondly on ME2 but to me it held fast at best, and started going down the path of the Dark Side at worst (but I'll always remember Badman Martin Sheen and Miranda's Ass fondly). Hell, I've got JFO and KOTOR, and KOTOR's still getting more playtime right now than JFO, even though it's like a prototype Dragon Age, it's still fun! And I have no nostalgia tied to KOTOR; this is my first playthrough, and it's a blast. A plasma grenade blast.

Other than prettier worlds and graphics, their last two titles have been big fat losers in every other aspect. Whatever they had, they lost. Technically impressive (other than Andromeda, ACTUALLY ROFLMAO), but bereft of any soul.
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Jan-2020(#59)
They're a dumpster fire. They legit said that they expected "Bioware magic" to happen out of the blue to make Anthem good......they have no clue what they're doing any more. They dicked around with the preplanning of that game to point that when it was shown at E3 they hadn't even started working on the game they ended up releasing and didn't even know it was going to be called "Anthem" until someone made the last decision right before the show. They tried to make that game in just over 1 year and completely failed. That team is dead and have moved on to other studios and whatever they make down the line won't be up to par with what they've made in the past. The only way the next ME or DA game has any chance to be good good is if they let Respawn make it. Bioware is cancer at this point.
kevolones
250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
1-Jan-2020(#60)
It is unfortunate that Bioware fudgeed up their last few games. I really enjoyed their ME and DA series and I wouldve gladly bought a new one. I never even considered buying Anthem though. I played the Beta (or maybe earlier?) and I knew it would suck ass with just half an hour of playing.
ErickRPG
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Jan-2020(#61)
Witcher III 7/10

Starts strong but trails off and there are too many side quests and ? marks and I can't help but doing them and they become a chore. The Baron, Lady's of the Wood part of the quest is incredible. And the later story just doesn't compare. If it kept up that story intensity it would have been a 10/10.

kevolones
250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
1-Jan-2020(#62)
I personally thought the sidequests were the best part of the game. I normally think sidequests are there for filler, but I loved the sidequests in Witcher 3, specially the hunt quests. Horizon ZD and God of War have some of the best sidequests Ive recently played.
BloodPuppetX
350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Jan-2020(#63)
I got tired of chasing all those question marks, too. Somebody on gamefaqs recommended turning them off, because it's mostly junk, and just don't worry about them. I agree about there being too many side quests as well. I actually noticed at one point, after 100 hours of playing, that I had basically spent the whole game just following the quest marker. So I wasn't really exploring much at all. It's still a 10/10 game for me, but it's another game that reminded me that BotW did it right by not having too many side quests.
ErickRPG
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Jan-2020(#64)
kevolones wrote:
> I personally thought the sidequests were the best part of the game. I normally think
> sidequests are there for filler, but I loved the sidequests in Witcher 3, specially
> the hunt quests. Horizon ZD and God of War have some of the best sidequests Ive recently
> played.

the witcher contracts, school gear searches, and amount of ? marks on the ocean in Skellige just was too much. I got bored but still wanted to do them.

kevolones
250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
* 1-Jan-2020(#65)
I mean, after a while I just went for the main quests too. For me 100+ hours its just way too much time spent on 1 single game. Same thing happened to me with FFXV! By the time I decided to ignore sidequests and continue with the main game I was way too high level for the story missions to be any challenge. Nowadays all we get are open world games and it is really annoying tbh. Im normally playing 5-6 games in parallel and its a challange to find something new to play that isnt open world nowadays. I look at my 50+ PS4 game backlog and I can barely find a linear game.
Dasgessabel
Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
(frozen)
1-Jan-2020(#66)
BloodPuppetX wrote:
> I got tired of chasing all those question marks, too. Somebody on gamefaqs recommended
> turning them off, because it's mostly junk, and just don't worry about them. I agree
> about there being too many side quests as well. I actually noticed at one point,
> after 100 hours of playing, that I had basically spent the whole game just following
> the quest marker. So I wasn't really exploring much at all. It's still a 10/10 game
> for me, but it's another game that reminded me that BotW did it right by not having
> too many side quests.

I feel like I'm in the minority in thinking BoTW was rather dull - I much prefer earlier iterations of Zelda over that one. And Witcher took 3 games to get it right, but Witcher 3 is their masterpiece until Cyberpunk comes out, then we will see where it stands for me.
BloodPuppetX
350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Jan-2020(#67)
I've seen plenty of posters on GameFAQs who found BotW dull. That's not what I was talking about. I was just saying that I prefer less side quests, even in a large open world game like that.
kevolones
250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
* 1-Jan-2020(#68)
BloodPuppetX wrote:
> I got tired of chasing all those question marks, too. Somebody on gamefaqs recommended
> turning them off, because it's mostly junk, and just don't worry about them. I agree
> about there being too many side quests as well. I actually noticed at one point,
> after 100 hours of playing, that I had basically spent the whole game just following
> the quest marker. So I wasn't really exploring much at all. It's still a 10/10 game
> for me, but it's another game that reminded me that BotW did it right by not having
> too many side quests.

For me BOTW is 90% sidequests. Although I know theyre not technically quests, all youre doing is walking around doing stuff that is not your main mission, in order to level up. Your main mission consists of 4 dungeons. And theres 120 shrines. I havent finished that game yet, but I cant remember the last time I did something that was related to the main quest. BotW is a free-roaming Zelda game, that would be my best description of the game.
Dasgessabel
Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
(frozen)
1-Jan-2020(#69)
BloodPuppetX wrote:
> I've seen plenty of posters on GameFAQs who found BotW dull. That's not what I was
> talking about. I was just saying that I prefer less side quests, even in a large
> open world game like that.

I don't really read GameFAQs. But there were alot of ?s in Witcher 3 for sure, I just personally feel like that's better since you can choose to ignore them if you desire. The alternative of having little to no side content in a huge open world is bland and doesn't really reward exploration imo. Having a large environment with nothing much to do seems pointless to me.
ErickRPG
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Jan-2020(#70)
I don't mind 100+ hour games I mean I played DQXIs for 100+, FETH for 120+ 3 times. It IS mostly because those ? lead to worthless junk which was just said.

Gypsy
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Jan-2020(#71)
I felt like Witcher 3 was a bit too big and went on too long as well. Did enjoy the game though.
Dasgessabel
Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
(frozen)
1-Jan-2020(#72)
What the hell is this, assault on Witcher 3? I need backup. @tonymack21 @Heavyd814life @Archer get in here :D
BloodPuppetX
350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Jan-2020(#73)
Dasgessabel wrote:
> What the hell is this, assault on Witcher 3? I need backup. @tonymack21 @Heavyd814life
> @Archer get in here :D

But I called it a 10/10 game! I love both it and BoTW. As for the latter, here's hoping they can add some more traditional dungeons, and bosses, to the upcoming sequel. That's one thing that I definitely missed.
Gypsy
GameTZ Gold Subscriber Quadruple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
* 1-Jan-2020(#74)
Dasgessabel wrote:
> What the hell is this, assault on Witcher 3? I need backup. @tonymack21 @Heavyd814life
> @Archer get in here :D

Lol. I really do like the series. I actually like 1/2 more than 3. I realize I am very alone with that opinion but every chance I had I was playing 1/2. When I wasn't paying them I was thinking about them. Bloodborne did that crap to me as well. It's the mark of a top game for me.

Edit: And yeah I'd still give Witcher 3 high marks. Like 8/10 probably.
Dasgessabel
Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
(frozen)
1-Jan-2020(#75)
Yah, ya'll better back down. raspberry

Kidding aside, Witcher 3 isn't perfect for me by any means, but it's one of my all time favorite games to be certain. BoTW, for me, doesn't even make the list.
BloodPuppetX
350 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Jan-2020(#76)
kevolones wrote:
> For me BOTW is 90% sidequests. Although I know theyre not technically quests, all
> youre doing is walking around doing stuff that is not your main mission, in order
> to level up. Your main mission consists of 4 dungeons. And theres 120 shrines. I
> havent finished that game yet, but I cant remember the last time I did something
> that was related to the main quest. BotW is a free-roaming Zelda game, that would
> be my best description of the game.

Regarding this, I was saying that I spent most of my time in Witcher 3 following that dotted line, which was due to doing all the side quests. So even though you're technically correct about BoTW mostly comprising of optional stuff, I still spent the whole game going wherever I wanted. In Witcher 3, it was mostly the game leading me around. That's why I say that I prefer fewer side quests.
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Jan-2020(#77)
IMO, BotW was one of the best 100+ hour game I've played next to Xenoblade Chronicles X all though Zelda was much better. I liked the freedom and exploration aspect of the game and the sense of discovery is vastly better than anything I've ever played before it. I could see how people who enjoy more story driven games where you're told where to go and what to do next wouldn't like it as much but I could sit down and play that game for hours without any direction at all and love every minute of it. Reminded me of growing up where we explored our heavily wooded area all day long in the summer time always finding something we've never seen before.
kevolones
250 Trade Quintuple Gold Good Trader
1-Jan-2020(#78)
I totally forgot I had that. Xenoblade. Another one in the backlog! Looks very cool though
dustin11
Double Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Jan-2020(#79)
XBCX is a massive game. I put 140 hours into it and completed only 50% of the game (side missions included). Really fun game though.
ErickRPG
GameTZ Subscriber Triple Gold Good Trader Global Trader - willing to trade internationally
1-Jan-2020(#80)
Dasgessabel wrote:
> What the hell is this, assault on Witcher 3? I need backup. @tonymack21 @Heavyd814life
> @Archer get in here :D

I like the game a lot. I just mentioned that there were too many side quests and I felt kinda burned out near the end. Still a 7/10 or 8/10 game easily. Just not a 10/10, forgive me oh Witcher Gods.

Topic   Post your scores/reviews on recent titles you've obtained/been playing. raspberry